Are you worried Trump will win in 2020? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:14:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Are you worried Trump will win in 2020? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you worried Trump will win in 2020?
Yes I am planning to move to Canada if he does.

Yes but if he wins I am not moving.

No I want him to win again.

I'm neutral.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Are you worried Trump will win in 2020?  (Read 3971 times)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 04, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »

Trump is probably the best thing to ever happen to the Democratic Party since FDR and JFK.  If anything, they should pray that he wins in 2020.  2022 would be a Republican bloodbath with the Dems likely to attain near-supermajorities in Congress and over 30 governorships (plus the majority of statehouses).
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:14:36 PM »

I am not worried about a Trump victory in 2020. While I do not like Trump, did not and will not vote for him, and would prefer that he loses, I also recognize that the 2022 midterms would serve as a check upon his Presidency, and that he won't do any more harm then he already has. If anything, a Trump victory in 2020 will, I believe, help pave the way for a realignment in our electorate that may benefit the Democrats in the long run.

The long run being the next 8 years, after which it switches back to the GOP for 8 years, and then so on and so on just like it's been going since 1992.

I was talking about a realignment that is akin to what was predicted by TheDoctor in his "Between the Majorities" timeline, one that sees the Democrats returning to their populist, working-class roots and Republicans becoming a socially moderate, technocratic party. A realignment similar to those of 1860, 1896, 1932, and 1980.

Why can't that happen if Trump loses in 2020? The Democrats aren't going to run a populist, working-class candidate?

A Trump victory in 2020 would probably be to the benefit of the Democrats in the long term, because they could make more substantive gains in the 2022 midterms.

So, supposing they have a good midterm in 2018, and a hypothetically good cycle in 2020, why do they need yet another midterm? Two good cycles isn't good enough to get the seats you guys want?
The Dems are going to gain a bunch of House, Senate, and Governor seats this year, which will bring lots of fresh faces and fresh perspectives to the party.  Six years will be enough job experience for them to run on in 2024. 
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 08:31:28 AM »

I am not worried about a Trump victory in 2020. While I do not like Trump, did not and will not vote for him, and would prefer that he loses, I also recognize that the 2022 midterms would serve as a check upon his Presidency, and that he won't do any more harm then he already has. If anything, a Trump victory in 2020 will, I believe, help pave the way for a realignment in our electorate that may benefit the Democrats in the long run.

The long run being the next 8 years, after which it switches back to the GOP for 8 years, and then so on and so on just like it's been going since 1992.

I was talking about a realignment that is akin to what was predicted by TheDoctor in his "Between the Majorities" timeline, one that sees the Democrats returning to their populist, working-class roots and Republicans becoming a socially moderate, technocratic party. A realignment similar to those of 1860, 1896, 1932, and 1980.

Why can't that happen if Trump loses in 2020? The Democrats aren't going to run a populist, working-class candidate?

A Trump victory in 2020 would probably be to the benefit of the Democrats in the long term, because they could make more substantive gains in the 2022 midterms.

So, supposing they have a good midterm in 2018, and a hypothetically good cycle in 2020, why do they need yet another midterm? Two good cycles isn't good enough to get the seats you guys want?
The Dems are going to gain a bunch of House, Senate, and Governor seats this year, which will bring lots of fresh faces and fresh perspectives to the party.  Six years will be enough job experience for them to run on in 2024. 

That has nothing to do with the thread.
Yes, it does.  It answers your question.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies