LC 5.10: Reinstating Affirmative Action in Lincoln (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:21:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 5.10: Reinstating Affirmative Action in Lincoln (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 5.10: Reinstating Affirmative Action in Lincoln (Failed)  (Read 906 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2019, 07:44:22 AM »
« edited: December 27, 2019, 10:14:23 PM by Speaker OneJ »

Reinstating Affirmative Action in Lincoln

I. Repeal of the Ban

A. LC 2.18 is repealed, effective immediately

II. Implementation

A. This law shall take effect two weeks after being signed by the governor.

Sponsor: S019

The debating period has commenced. It shall last no less than 72 hours.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 04:22:21 PM »

Hopefully the Lincoln Council doesn't go as far as admitting they hate Asian people, which have been proven to be the ones most hurt by affirmative action.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 04:27:32 PM »

It's also been proven that it's not actually beneficial for the minorities it was intended to help.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/10/the-painful-truth-about-affirmative-action/263122/

The single biggest problem in this system -- a problem documented by a vast and growing array of research -- is the tendency of large preferences to boomerang and harm their intended beneficiaries. Large preferences often place students in environments where they can neither learn nor compete effectively -- even though these same students would thrive had they gone to less competitive but still quite good schools.

The student who would flourish at, say, Wake Forest, instead finds himself at Duke, where the professors are not teaching at a pace designed for him.

We refer to this problem as "mismatch," a word that largely explains why, even though blacks are more likely to enter college than are whites with similar backgrounds, they will usually get much lower grades, rank toward the bottom of the class, and far more often drop out. Because of mismatch, racial preference policies often stigmatize minorities, reinforce pernicious stereotypes, and undermine the self-confidence of beneficiaries, rather than creating the diverse racial utopias so often advertised in college campus brochures.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 04:39:54 PM »

I don’t support repealing LC 2.18.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2019, 09:54:47 AM by tack50 »

While Suburban has certainly seen a lot of ideological changes and he is nothing like he was in June I guess I'll still point out that he supported the original repeal Tongue

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/End_of_Public_Affirmative_Action_in_Lincoln

The FINAL vote on LC 2.18 End of Public Affirmative Action in Lincoln is now closed

Aye: 4 (thr33, lfromnj, tack50, SNJC)
Abstain: 0
Nay: 3 (Dipper Josh, Pyro, Griffin)
Not voting: 1 (Zaybay)

So this bill passes
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 11:46:36 PM »

As an Asian myself, Fhtagn can rest assured that I am not discriminating against Asians.

But there's a simple truth: without affirmative action, racist administrators will be less likely to select minority applicants. Also certain races, such as Hispanics and African Americans have been historically disadvantaged. I believe that this bill can take us closer to racial egalitarianism. This bill will help us move closer to achieving the dreams of equality that heroes such as Dr. King led nonviolent protests to attempt to achieve. However, we are not even close to reaching the vision of civil rights leaders of an equal Atlasia. Quite frankly, we won't get there unless we take steps to bring marginalized, minority communities closer to equality. Passing this bill is one of those steps.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 11:48:08 PM »

Also I support this bill, affirmative action does not benefit all minorities, as it should, and we need to rethink the idea of affirmative action
The current affirmative action system is deeply flawed, any true affirmative action, should benefit all minorites. Sadly, the current AA system, actually disadvantages some minorites, ultimately, if AA cannot do the one thing, that it is designed to do, there is no use it for keeping it.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 11:49:25 PM »

Also I support this bill, affirmative action does not benefit all minorities, as it should, and we need to rethink the idea of affirmative action
The current affirmative action system is deeply flawed, any true affirmative action, should benefit all minorites. Sadly, the current AA system, actually disadvantages some minorites, ultimately, if AA cannot do the one thing, that it is designed to do, there is no use it for keeping it.

Over time, I've come to realize that our first goal must be to help the most marginalized minorities to obtain equal rights, and then later, we can help the less marginalized ones.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 11:58:44 PM »

I have to agree that repealing LC 2.18 won't do much if anything at all to help better racical minorities. It'd also likely hurt some who aren't part of it.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 11:59:48 PM »

As an Asian myself, Fhtagn can rest assured that I am not discriminating against Asians.

But there's a simple truth: without affirmative action, racist administrators will be less likely to select minority applicants. Also certain races, such as Hispanics and African Americans have been historically disadvantaged. I believe that this bill can take us closer to racial egalitarianism. This bill will help us move closer to achieving the dreams of equality that heroes such as Dr. King led nonviolent protests to attempt to achieve. However, we are not even close to reaching the vision of civil rights leaders of an equal Atlasia. Quite frankly, we won't get there unless we take steps to bring marginalized, minority communities closer to equality. Passing this bill is one of those steps.

The simple truth is that affirmative action makes it harder for Asians to get into top schools compared to applicants of other races. There's tons of data that backs this up.

There is also tons of data (of which I already provided a source describing it here)  that proves affirmative action hurts other minority groups (such as black students), who often experience a bad outcome due to being mismatched with their school and fellow students.

In the end, it has significantly harmed the chances of success for many minorities entering college, and has long outlived its purpose. If you want an equal Atlasia, you don't get it by shilling for a racist policy.

It's also worth noting that in most colleges and universities, their faculty (including administrators) are heavily left wing as far as their politics. Are you saying that all these lefty colleges are racist now?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 12:13:10 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2019, 12:48:19 PM by lfromnj »

1. Can you point to this massive stealth group of racists who have infiltrated colleges to remove minorities from colleges? Why not just ban any consideration of race whatsoever.

Also considering affirmative action in lincoln is being brought up again would anyone be interested in amending this bill to just change the original ban to include gender too?

Again I would argue the opposite actually happens as #woke people in college admin want to accept more minorities. Not 100% but its possible.

http://timgroseclose.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/CUARS.Resignation.Report.pdf
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »

As there has been no debate for a while

I motion for a final vote on this bill, 24 hours to object
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 12:32:32 PM »

I guess you aren't going to respond to concerns raised by Lincoln citizens?

1. Can you point to this massive stealth group of racists who have infiltrated colleges to remove minorities from colleges? Why not just ban any consideration of race whatsoever.

Also considering affirmative action in lincoln is being brought up again would anyone be interested in amending this bill to just change the original ban to include gender too?

Again I would argue the opposite actually happens as #woke people in college admin want to accept more minorities. Not 100% but its possible.

http://timgroseclose.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/CUARS.Resignation.Report.pdf
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 04:57:54 PM »

Senator Peanut has informed me that today and tomorrow are non-sitting days, so this motion will have to take effect at 12:12 PM on the 26th, and thus Councilors have until 12:12 PM on December 27 to object
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 05:14:13 PM »

Senator Peanut has informed me that today and tomorrow are non-sitting days, so this motion will have to take effect at 12:12 PM on the 26th, and thus Councilors have until 12:12 PM on December 27 to object

So that's a no?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 05:30:28 PM »

So that's a no?

This was more directed towards the Councilors, not you
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 05:57:21 PM »

So that's a no?

This was more directed towards the Councilors, not you

So are you gonna address questions asked by a Lincoln citizen, or not?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 07:32:30 PM »

There is historical precedent, for instance in the Jim Crow South, whites used lack of regulation mandating racial equality to create a system that was unequal but was labeled as “separate but equal.” Keeping affirmative action repealed will lead to a repeat of those events.

No, why should we make it so that colleges are less likely to accept women. Women need to be given more opportunities not less

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 09:58:08 AM »

Any more debate, comments, etc. on the bill Councilors?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 08:01:15 PM »

A final vote has opened for 5.10 and councilors have 48 hours to vote AYE, NAY or abstain.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »

Nay
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »

AYE
Pragmatist_TNAG
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 08:37:38 PM »

Nay
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2019, 10:25:11 PM »

AYE: 1 (S019)
NAY: 2 (OneJ_, Pragmatist_TNAG)
Abstain: 0

Via a vote of 2-1, more councilors voted nay than yea and LC 5.10 has been rejected.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 10:58:08 AM »

Wonderful news.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies