TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 03:30:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who Would You Vote For In a Matchup
Phil Bredesen (D)
Marsha Blackburn (R)
The Libertarian
Other
Undecided
Abstain
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: TN-SEN: Return of the Bredi  (Read 93623 times)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 12, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »

I am just not seeing this.  Even if Nashville and Memphis do what NOVA and Hampton Roads did in VA-GOV and Williamson goes the way of Chesterfield, 2/3rds of the state is still basically VA-09 and filled with diehard rural Trump supporters.  This is a harder lift than Mississippi or Louisiana IMO.
It's more urban than Alabama at least, and the events of the past week have given the Dems a prayer in that state.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »

Perhaps Bredesen will be the Southern Surprise of the midterms and not Doug Jones.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 11:33:02 PM »

National Republicans are dropping a full load of steaming hog diarrhea on the airwaves of Tennessee:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WMjL73b_Kw
This ad implies to me that the NRCC has polling showing Trump’s approval in TN being high. If ya high enough to warrant an ad focused on President Trump  going after the democrat, it’s prpjanly too high for said democrat to win in an inelastic red state.
Obama had above-water approval ratings in Illinois in 2014, yet Rauner ousted Quinn.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »

Bredesen had better do damage control, fast:

https://freebeacon.com/politics/tennessee-dem-spokesman-f-k-reaching-trump-voters-idiots-arent-listening/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bredesen can't afford ANY political injuries in a state like Tennessee.

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 01:38:52 PM »

By the way, the first senate debate between Bredesen and Blackburn takes place tonight at 6 pm.

I saw the last half of that, and Bredesen definitely did a good job presenting himself as an independent minded person who would represent the interests of Tennessee rather than his party, in contrast to Blackburn.  Blackburn is an attractive woman though and I think Bredesen going too negative against her could backfire.   And Bredesen's support for abortion could sink him, but I don't know if Blackburn is making that an issue in the campaign.
Doug Jones was unapologetically pro-choice, and he won.  Tennessee has two major urban cores (Nashville and Memphis) that are much more populous than Alabama's major urban core (Birmingam).
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:17:15 PM »

Yikes
I think we dissected that poll a while back, haha.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »

I’m far from a Democratic hack and I still think this race is a Toss-up. If there’s a Democratic tidal wave like everyone here seems to think, it will hit pretty much every state. There’s a lot of uncertainty in this race, and I’m certainly not going to make the mistake of trusting the same people who unironically told me that AL-SEN 2017 was Safe R, sorry. Could Blackburn win by a lot? Absolutely, but if she does, there’s no way Democrats are holding states like MO or IN, winning MT/WV by double digits, or making TX competitive, etc., and more likely that the Democratic "wave" will be a "ripple" instead. Senate race outcomes are highly correlated with one another, they don’t occur in a vacuum.

The demogaphics for TN (60%ish white evangelical voting population, very white Dixie state, etc) are infinitely worse for Democrats than in states like MO, IN, TX, etc. Seeing MO and IN decided by squeakers while TN votes 8 points for Blackburn is well within the cards.
Exactly.  It's also important to note that white evangelicals in Indiana are slightly more elastic than white evangelicals in Dixie.

In 2016, Evan Bayh got 28% of white evangelicals even while getting blown out in a 10% landslide.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »

I’m far from a Democratic hack and I still think this race is a Toss-up. If there’s a Democratic tidal wave like everyone here seems to think, it will hit pretty much every state. There’s a lot of uncertainty in this race, and I’m certainly not going to make the mistake of trusting the same people who unironically told me that AL-SEN 2017 was Safe R, sorry. Could Blackburn win by a lot? Absolutely, but if she does, there’s no way Democrats are holding states like MO or IN, winning MT/WV by double digits, or making TX competitive, etc., and more likely that the Democratic "wave" will be a "ripple" instead. Senate race outcomes are highly correlated with one another, they don’t occur in a vacuum.

The demogaphics for TN (60%ish white evangelical voting population, very white Dixie state, etc) are infinitely worse for Democrats than in states like MO, IN, TX, etc. Seeing MO and IN decided by squeakers while TN votes 8 points for Blackburn is well within the cards.

We’re talking about a candidate who swept every county in 2006 and won by 39 points in said state, when demographics were slightly better for Dems but still very unfavorable. He has the adventage of being able to tap into a reservoir of residual goodwill/nostalgia and is uniquely suited to appeal to high propensity and center-right voters who are fine with Bill Lee but just can’t bring themselves to vote for a "shrill extremist/lunatic" over their Phil Bredesen.

I guess we’ll see on Tuesday, but I guarantee you if Blackburn actually wins by double digits on election night, then Democrats will have a lot bigger problems to worry about than this race.
Evan Bayh swept nearly every county in 2004.  He lost by a landslide in 2016.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »

Evan Bayh also ran against a much stronger opponent in a Republican wave year, and Bredesen doesn’t have Bayh's lobbyist/residency issues that could be used against him in attack ads. Not the best comparison, to say least.
In 2004?  lol, Marvin Scott was a total joke candidate who makes Alan Keyes look like an unbeatable titan.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies