Will Bernie Sanders drop out in the next week?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 09:10:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Bernie Sanders drop out in the next week?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: After the results in California are known, will he drop out in the coming days?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Will Bernie Sanders drop out in the next week?  (Read 1106 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2016, 10:14:50 PM »

I think he will. Here's why: Obviously Cilnton will go way over the top in delegates tomorrow, Bernie's argument is that she doesn't have enough pledged delegates to outright win the nomination. That's true, she would need around 80% of the remaining pledged delegates to do so (not happening). However, let's be friendly to Bernie and award him a 50/50 delegate split after tomorrow. There are 714 pledged delegates for tomorrow, so getting 357 of them would add to his current 1521 total getting him to 1878. Clinton would get to 2169, about 200 short. What that means is that Bernie would have to convince 71% of super delegates to support him at minimum to win the nomination, most of whom already stubbornly back Clinton. Its not only undemocratic, its so unrealistic that he'll have to quit. This scenario assumes a total 50/50 split tomorrow too, a more likely scenario is probably 54/46 Clinton or something like that.

In addition, there's been some shifts recently such as...

- Him talking to Obama privately (probably means Obama wants to endorse Clinton very soon and wants to negotiate Sanders out of the race)
 - Him saying he would go home to 'asses' the future of his campaign after California

Hopefully he can still have some sway at the convention about their process and do something to diminish the power of super delegates in the future. But he'll be done campaigning for an unachievable political office.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:15:49 PM »

Yeah, I think so. He might wait until after DC, but I think it's happening within the next 10 days or so.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »

Of course not. The raging misogynist cares about nothing more than sabotaging CLINTON's campaign. If anything, he'll run as an independent now.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »

I'd say that he'll either drop out or say something intentionally ambiguous and coded like "I'll take time to sit with these results before making any major decisions" tomorrow night or the day after. He'll almost certainly drop out some time over the next week or so.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:24:35 PM »

Yeah, I think so. He might wait until after DC, but I think it's happening within the next 10 days or so.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 10:47:54 PM »

As I said in anthother thread he will probably suspend his campaign either tomorrow or June 8th   
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »

The problem is that his campaign's message is STILL this whole 'superdelegates don't vote until July 25' nonsense, and suggesting the pledged delegates aren't core to justifying his continued presence. He needs to speak tomorrow night and make clear that the campaign is in transition.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 11:12:16 PM »

The problem is that his campaign's message is STILL this whole 'superdelegates don't vote until July 25' nonsense, and suggesting the pledged delegates aren't core to justifying his continued presence. He needs to speak tomorrow night and make clear that the campaign is in transition.

To be fair, he's probably trying to encourage as many of his supporters as possible to vote tomorrow. Once the only contest remaining is DC, and it's clear that Clinton has a majority of pledge delegates, he'll probably change his tune.
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 02:05:16 AM »

Bernie Sanders will most likely suspend his campaign, however, I think both him and his campaign will shape the Democrat parties platform going in the GE later this year.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 02:36:55 AM »

I don't see him actually dropping out before the convention at this point.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 02:42:59 AM »

I wish people would stop making these threads. He has said over and over and over again that he is not dropping out till the convention. Why wouldn't you believe him?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 02:53:21 AM »

I wish people would stop making these threads. He has said over and over and over again that he is not dropping out till the convention. Why wouldn't you believe him?

Did you believe Ted Cruz, John Kasich, Marco Rubio, Hillary Clinton in 08, and basically any other major candidates that have run for president in the past too? Candidates always try to appear way more optimistic than they actually are, it's a very common theme.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 04:49:45 AM »

Wasn't this Clinton's message until after the last primary in 2008?  She definitely stayed in for a time after Obama went over the top, but withdrew after everyone voted.

I think that he'll officially go until after DC, but perhaps not campaign quite as vigorously after this set of primaries.  But honestly who knows with this campaign, he could do something to surprise us.  I mean, did anyone expect Ted Cruz to drop out after Indiana?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 06:08:26 AM »

I hope so. Well, I hope he drops out after DC at the very latest.
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 06:10:24 AM »

Hopefully. I think he'll stop actively campaigning, but won't outright end it until the convention, so he can shape the Dem platform.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 06:24:44 AM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no, he won't, just based upon his most recent comments about a contested convention and the superdelegate debacle that's been parroted by his most vocal supporters (Nina Turner, Susan Sarandon). I can see him going all the way to the convention, because he isn't a Democrat and I'd imagine he doesn't care about party unity, the party rules, etc. because he's repeated how corrupt/too close to Wall Street the party is. He just wants to take the party in a more leftward direction, which I'm totally fine with and support, as he's more concerned with his "revolution"/"movement" than he is about Democratic Party unity.
mgop
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 07:05:38 AM »

if he run as independent he will get more votes than her. dem primaries were crooked and most of states didnt allowed independent voters to participate.
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 08:10:55 AM »

I want to believe his rhetoric is just to drive turnout. Afterall, Cruz announced a VP before he dropped out.

Frankly, I think it's in Bernie's best interest to drop out. Let's talk about two things--delegates and his platform. Bernie's premise for staying in the race this long was to promote his agenda. Staying in through the convention won't give him a voice to talk about said platform. The majority of his media play will be about how he is trying to flip delegates. The only way he'll get media coverage on the issues is if he attacks Clinton on the issues, therefore giving ammunition to Trump. That won't look favorably among many Democrats. I think it's best if he drops out, join Clinton on the trail and promote his message that way under the aura of party unity. There is no need to take this to the convention when we all know what the outcome will be.
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 08:51:30 AM »

if he run as independent he will get more votes than her. dem primaries were crooked and most of states didnt allowed independent voters to participate.
Yeah, but it's also not 1912. The presumptive nominee was chosen by the people and not party bosses. I've supported Sanders for a year, but sometimes, you've got to accept your man's fate. Also, I don't think Bernie wants Trump to win 532-3-3.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies