Object pronouns in Romance languages (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:01:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Object pronouns in Romance languages (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Object pronouns in Romance languages  (Read 1565 times)
PGSable
Rookie
« on: August 14, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »

The same is true of French. For example, "I sent Jones a letter" would be « J'ai envoyé une lettre à Jones ».

However, you never use a pronoun to make an explicit reference to a direct object in French (which you do in Spanish if it's a person): "I called Jones" would be « J'ai appelé Jones » in French but "Llamé a Jones" in Spanish (while "I called the cat" would be "Llamé el gato," because the cat isn't a person).
PGSable
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:13:10 PM »

Sorry, I missed this:

Well, "le" is an indirect object pronoun meaning him, her, or you (formal, singular). In the sentence I posted, it referred to Jones.

Jones, then, is identified both explicitly and with a pronoun (for the same verb)—a rather odd concept. Literally, the sentence means "Him [I] wrote to Jones," him being Jones. Frustratingly enough, Spanish won't allow you to just specify the indirect object while omitting the corresponding pronoun.

Does French have a similar rule?

Strictly speaking, no. You wouldn't say "I wrote him Jones" in proper French.

However, in substandard oral French, it is somewhat common to use a third person pronoun and to follow it with the corresponding noun in order to clarify. For example, you might start saying, "I wrote him a letter" and decide in mid-sentence that to need to clarify "him," in which case you would say "I wrote him a letter, [to] Jones" (« Je lui ai écrit une lettre, à Jones »).

This practice applies to all third person pronouns. If you wanted to say that Jones came to your house (Jones would be the subject in this case), you might say, "He came to my house, Jones" (« Il est venu chez moi, Jones »). Again, though, this is substandard French.
PGSable
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:18:27 PM »

The same is true of French. For example, "I sent Jones a letter" would be « J'ai envoyé une lettre à Jones ».

However, you never use a pronoun to make an explicit reference to a direct object in French (which you do in Spanish if it's a person): "I called Jones" would be « J'ai appelé Jones » in French but "Llamé a Jones" in Spanish (while "I called the cat" would be "Llamé el gato," because the cat isn't a person).
Actually it would be Llamé al gato, "al" being a contraction of "a el".

Really? I understand that "I called the fireman" would be "Llamé al [a el] bombero" even though "bombero" is a direct object, but that "I called the cat" would be "Llamé el gato" because the cat isn't a person. Or is "llamar" an indirect transitive verb in Spanish? In any event, "I saw the fireman" would be "Vi al bombero" while "I saw the cat" would be "Vi el gato."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies