Trump to widow of Sgt. La David Johnson: "He knew what he signed up for" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 09:36:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump to widow of Sgt. La David Johnson: "He knew what he signed up for" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump to widow of Sgt. La David Johnson: "He knew what he signed up for"  (Read 4716 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 17, 2017, 09:32:05 PM »

I can't imagine anyone I've ever met in my life saying this, much less any other President.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:03:02 PM »

As it says, it's a developing story, but my interpretation is that he was saying that the soldier, may he rest in peace, knew the risks of the job.  Saying "but when it happens it hurts anyway" is saying that such travesty looms over everyone's heads, and while many prepare for the worst, they are still hit hard.

I would like more context, however, than a third-hand account.

I am so sick of you defending this vile monster.

It is NEVER okay to say that to a widow on the day of her husband's funeral!

Again, I WOULD PREFER CONTEXT. From what I read, it looked like he was trying to console her and say that this is a job that he took and he knew the risks of doing it and that he signed up to defend the nation.  The sergeant, rest in peace, was an honorable man.  Am I wrong about what Trump was trying to say through the comment? That's very possible, but again, I would like to see full context.  If I'm wrong and he did mean this in an extremely disrespectful manner, then I will 100% admit that I am wrong.

And I do not consistently defend him.  He has been doing a f***ing horrible job and is easily one of the worst presidents this nation has had.  I want him out as badly as the next guy.  The s*** he says puts me in horrible moods.  He is a horrible, horrible, horrible president.

I think the issue is more that even in that context, this was still an incredibly cruel and insensitive thing to say.  Trump displayed a complete lack of even the most basic degree of empathy.  That said, I do think it's unfair to act like The Saint some sort of mindless Trump stooge.  He definitely gives him the benefit of the doubt too often and seems to have a real blind spot with regard to the GOP's racism, but he's also not part of Trump's unthinking personality cult.  That alone puts The Saint well above many on the forum in my book.  Maybe it's a low bar, but it's one a disturbing number of Americans can't seem to pass.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 03:13:28 PM »

Worth a read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-offered-a-grieving-military-father-25000-in-a-call-but-didnt-follow-through/2017/10/18/8d4cbc8c-b43a-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.fb024dc76779
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »

White House says Trump already sent the check by mail.

Generally it's a good policy to assume Trump is lying until proven otherwise.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »

White House says Trump already sent the check by mail.

Generally it's a good policy to assume Trump is lying until proven otherwise.

I interpreted it as he sent the check today because he got caught lying.

Ah, I misunderstood.  I thought you meant they'd claimed to have already sent the check before the article.  My bad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies