What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:19:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22]
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 636803 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #525 on: June 10, 2012, 09:50:30 PM »

Tiny Furniture

Unless you are into very indie hipster type movies, you will not like this one at all. If you are, you will probably enjoy it quite a bit. I did.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #526 on: June 24, 2012, 12:58:13 AM »

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Most of the negative reviews are stupid. It had a bit of a pacing problem though and basically glossed over Lincoln's rise in politics, admittedly the story is kind of tricky to just cram into 2 hours. Action sequences were very original and well done though, especially the fight with the vampire in the herd of horses.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #527 on: July 09, 2012, 09:23:55 PM »

The Hunger Games. There was a pacing problem, I felt like it was too long even though also felt like there were bits from the book left out, which almost always happens but in this case was a bit too obvious since characters were brought up as if they were important but got little screen time. However the movie was quite visually impressive and worked. Ending was kind of weird, it was like a disguised sequel hook, but I'm sold on seeing the sequel.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #528 on: July 14, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »

Savages.

Be aware beforehand that the ending will piss you off, and you'll probably enjoy it more. It was very solid up until then, and then it's as if Oliver Stone wanted to pull a prank on the audience.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #529 on: July 22, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »

The Dark Knight Rises

Commentary should probably go in the more spoiler-proof dedicated thread.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #530 on: August 12, 2012, 10:51:44 PM »

The Bourne Legacy

It doesn't have the problems you'd expect from a Bourne movie without Matt Damon, but it does have some plot elements that make no sense, things that contradict the previous movies, not as much action and Renner's character is nowhere near as intriguing as Bourne (though that's not Renner's fault, him and Weisz acted a lot better than the characters were written.) some things don't get explained and there's not much of an ending. I suppose they're planning on a fifth movie but still. Definitely the weakest of the series, though I wouldn't say it's not worth seeing if the expectations are right.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #531 on: August 21, 2012, 02:04:44 AM »

The Expendables 2

This one was actually better than the first. It had enough meta-references and Actor Allusion that you'd expect from a movie of this type, it was more of an ensemble piece instead of just Stallone hogging the spotlight and Jean Claude Van Damme was actually an awesome villain. Don't know if he's ever played one before, but he was very effective in this.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #532 on: August 26, 2012, 12:34:36 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2012, 01:29:27 AM by They Move on Tracks of Never-Ending Light »

Magic Mike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4eqIV-XMnA

Quite a good movie.

If you are a homo, you should definitely watch this (HOT MALE STRIPPERS INCLUDED !!!).

But it is also quite watchable for us heteros. I'm already looking forward to BRTD's movie review, considering the movie is all about strippers, but this time male ones ... Tongue

Well yeah, considering the topic, I don't have much interest in seeing it. My mom has seen it though which says a lot about the target audience (she saw it with her friend whose 19-year old daughter had already seen it and thinks Channing Tatum is the hottest guy alive.)

Last movie I just saw: Killer Joe. It wasn't directed by Todd Solondz, but might as well have been (well except that his movies are all set in New Jersey instead of Texas). If you like his films, you'll like this one. Twisted and disturbing as they come, but manages to be funny in the same way. I also have to wonder why Matthew McConaughey kept bothering with all those dumb romantic comedies when he actually can play a killer sociopath so very well.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #533 on: August 27, 2012, 08:09:13 PM »

The Muppets.

Very enjoyable. Loved the cameos. Xahar needs to see it if he hasn't already.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #534 on: August 28, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »

The Muppets.

Very enjoyable. Loved the cameos. Xahar needs to see it if he hasn't already.
Did your 10 year old daughter also enjoy it?

Remember, she mostly watches violent R-rated movies. Wink
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #535 on: September 04, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »

King go see Killer Joe.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #536 on: September 04, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »

Guess you have to wait for the DVD. The funny thing is that Matthew McConaughey plays basically the same character he plays in all those stupid romantic comedies, it's just that this time he also happens to be a murderous sociopath.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #537 on: September 16, 2012, 12:18:38 AM »

Arbitrage.

Richard Gere kind of showed why he was never sought after for much besides romantic comedies. He didn't come across as a ruthless billionaire at all, more like a stressed out middle manager. The rest of the cast was quite impressive though, as was the script and direction. I can see why lots wouldn't like it though, the movie never quite decides if it's a police procedural, family drama, or Wall Street thriller.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #538 on: September 23, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »

The Master

This was worth watching a lot more for the acting and awesome cinematography than plot or story, it didn't have much of one really, it was kind of just a bunch of vignettes about the interactions of the Hoffman character and the Joaquin Phoenix character. Phoenix really impressed me, Hoffman was up to par but that's expected, Phoenix well exceeded my expectations. It's no There Will Be Blood though but I wasn't expecting that to be topped.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #539 on: October 02, 2012, 10:30:03 PM »

Finally got around to seeing Badlands. Loved it.

I haven't seen that one but probably should. Have you seen The Tree of Life?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #540 on: October 07, 2012, 12:42:02 AM »

V/H/S

The premise of this movie worked out a lot better than most do since it doesn't have to be full of filler in between stupid maniacs slaughtering teenagers or bizarre tortures. Kind of a good example of what Paranormal Activity should've been like. All the segments different in quality though, the first was the best, the third also worked pretty well, the second and fourth had some good effects but didn't really make much sense, and the last one had a decent sort of twist and great visual effects for what had to be such a low budget, but was kind of dumb regardless. I think it'd also work better watching it by yourself on DVD instead of in a crowded theater too.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #541 on: October 09, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »

Easily There Will Be Blood. I haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love yet but I can't see an Adam Sandler movie topping that one.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #542 on: October 09, 2012, 10:43:08 PM »

Most of PTA's films don't really have "plots" in the traditional sense, they're just stories set around a certain premise or character(s). Even TWBB could be easily summarized as "An oil man's rise and his rivalry with a preacher in the early 20th century." The Master is basically just (minor spoilers ahead but as most reviews have noted, this shouldn't ruin your enjoyment of the film, you can still quit reading here regardless) "A WWII veteran drifter runs into a charismatic cult leader, becomes his trusted associate, then has a falling out and goes back to being a drifter." And his stories never have silly M. Night Shymalayan type twists or anything either, but that's because they don't need them, and are about other things. And it usually works, but it does take some getting used to.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #543 on: October 10, 2012, 12:24:26 AM »

It's obviously not my type of music but it definitely sounds like a Bond theme song. That Jack White/Alicia Keys thing wasn't very Bond-esque at all.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #544 on: October 14, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »

Argo.

I'll review it in the other thread.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #545 on: October 15, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »

Sinister.

This was better than standard for an American horror movie, which I usually don't like (not a fan of movies that just consist of a crazed maniac murdering people or people getting killed in bizarre torture ways, which makes up most American horror movies), often quite creepy and impressively done in lots of scenes considering how low the budget was, but still had too many horror movie cliches, especially the ending. But miles ahead of any Saw or Hostel type movie or all those Paranormal Activity clones.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies