Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:14:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 390791 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:34 PM »
« edited: September 08, 2011, 08:45:31 PM by Scott »

Anyways, on the amendment-- I personally don't believe it matters, and I don't really want to vote for or against it and take "sides" or whatever.  That's all I have to say about that.

You don't have to vote for it.  As sponsor this amendment originated from me.  If I deemed it unfriendly (which I have asked already), then yes, it would be voted on at the end of the debate.
I'll probably abstain when the vote comes up.  I don't want to be on record for supporting or opposing something that I don't think will make any big changes.

Wait, I'm confused.  You can amend the bill, and it only comes to a vote if you deem it unfriendly?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 09:23:49 PM »

Anyways, on the amendment-- I personally don't believe it matters, and I don't really want to vote for or against it and take "sides" or whatever.  That's all I have to say about that.

You don't have to vote for it.  As sponsor this amendment originated from me.  If I deemed it unfriendly (which I have asked already), then yes, it would be voted on at the end of the debate.
I'll probably abstain when the vote comes up.  I don't want to be on record for supporting or opposing something that I don't think will make any big changes.

You misunderstand me.  There will be no vote on this amendment as it's friendly to the sponsor (me).  Therefore, it will be in the final version of this constitution, and you will vote on said constitution as a whole, when debate is over.  Of course, other amendments could be introduced n the time being.

FTR.. If you are the sponsor of a bill, during debate you can choose to accept an amendment as friendly, or unfriendly (If you're a Rep).  If unfriendly, it goes up for a vote at the end of debate.  If friendly, it's incorporated into the bill.
Oh, okay.  I assumed Napoleon was the sponsor, not you.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »

The Governor has a point.  The Constitution does not explain what qualifies for impeachment.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2011, 09:47:08 AM by Scott »

I propose the following amendment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2011, 12:04:20 PM by Scott »

My amendment defines "impeachable offense" and allows for the impeachment of other officials.  I didn't see anything in the Constitution that allows for non-governors to be impeached, which is a little unfair.  Both the proposals would work for the final bill.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 12:33:14 AM »

Mr. Speaker, you did not say whether my amendment was friendly or unfriendly.  Is it friendly?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »

Aye
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »

This is a bad time to ask, but does the Lt. Governor do much of anything, or does he just do what the Governor tells him to do?  Can he vote in the GA?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 12:52:40 AM »

Why do I have a really bad feeling it's going to be just two people passing this thing? Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »

Somehow I'm disappointed, yet not in the least bit surprised.  We had the votes to really do something here, and blew it.  Perhaps I should resign as Speaker if that would mean some progress?  In any case, I hope those who failed to vote have a decent excuse.  Otherwise, I hope there's enough challengers to vote you out in the next election.  I don't expect the vote to be missed if I introduce it again, with the amendments incorporated..

Oh, and since I can't technically close voting before 24 hours, I won't be able to until I come home tonight.  I'm sure that's not a problem, as voting/debating isn't really this bodies forte.
No, you've been doing a fine job as Speaker.  Don't blame yourself.  If people don't want to vote or debate, they won't vote or debate.  It's their loss.

Does this thing have to get a supermajority of the votes cast, or a supermajority of the entire GA?  If it's of the entire GA, including the people who didn't even vote, that's a crappy deal.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »

How so?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »

Just to sum up what I wrote about this earlier: basically, the idea is to make lenders feel certain that they'll get all or most of their money back by having the Northeast government guarantee them 75% of it, in case a person or entity can no longer pay a loan back.  More lending will mean new businesses can start and old ones can expand.  This will create millions of new jobs for the region.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »

Isn't this what led to the current economic situation?
Well, basically, this would help prevent that from happening again.  It's very similar to how the Small Business Administration works.  The bank gets money back, no matter what, and so they are risking less by lending to people.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 07:45:26 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2011, 09:21:28 PM by Scott »

This is just my two cents, but perhaps lowering the 15 billion to something less would be more suitable. If we see success, we can expand the program. The banks have an incentive to loan by having 75% guaranteed but also an incentive to make the right loans as to not lose the other 25%. Obviously that is a good thing. I also suggest removing other entities to protect against fraud. Add more to the list if you like but don't leave it that open ended.
I have the limit at 75% so that we don't spend all the money in the program too quickly.  Would you suggest raising it to 100% and lowering the $15 billion?

All eligible loans already need to be approved by the program in case of fraud, so I don't think we need to remove that part.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 12:57:04 AM »

Great debate we're having, guys...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »

It could be worse...at least we have a Senator that tries to help. We almost didn't even get that.
I do appreciate that, haha.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »

I won't be voting in favor of backing up loans with the public's money.  Using tax revenue in such a way is not a practice I agree, nor encourage.  What do we define as a non-bank lending institution in the Northeast by the way? 

Other entities and people is fairly broad IMO.  Guarantee 75% of loans?  Do I really want to encourage a practice that has proven to be catastrophic?  Do I want to tell banks "Hey.  Go ahead and give these loans that may or may not be smart in practice, because we'll guarantee them anyway."  Sure, you have a section that implies we will provide "oversight", but how well has such an intention worked in real life? 

I appreciate the Gentleman's want to introduce legislation.  However, I find myself unable to vote in favor, or offer an amendment that will allow me to vote in favor.  I plan to vote Nay on this bill.
Would you support minimizing this program, so that loans are only guaranteed for institutions (government buildings, schools, universities, hospitals) that we know will stay in use?  Perhaps the program could be "tested" on things that have smaller chances of defaulting.  So, the banks will be more likely to issue loans to these institutions, but we won't be encouraging bad practices or spending too much out of the program if we limit eligible institutions, first.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 02:59:11 PM »

I'm withdrawing this bill.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »

I like the bill's intentions, except there's one thing we always need to worry about for these kinds of things: fraud.  Food donators could easily send in a list of food items they never actually donated, and then get money for it.  Somehow we would need to check that they're actually donating anything.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 08:12:20 PM »

I'd like to introduce an amendment to change the word "shall" in the first clause to "may."

Food banks shouldn't be forced to participate in this program if they don't want to.
Sounds reasonable.  I don't see why they would want to opt out, but they should be allowed to.  We'd save money that way, too.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 09:02:24 PM »

No objections here.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 05:48:13 PM »

Aye on the bill
Aye on Napoleon
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2011, 09:30:27 PM by Scott »

I have proposed this bill because I believe it is necessary to ensure that people are not charged with murder or assault for defending themselves against criminals.

Here's an article in case someone doesn't know what the Castle Doctrine is, but this bill explains it pretty clearly.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »

Shoot.  I searched the wiki to see if there was a bill like this, and I didn't see that come up.

Originally, no, it was not.  Though my bill does expand on this somewhat, and defines what "justifiable" means for this.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2011, 11:15:58 AM by Scott »

It definitely expands on it, yes.  I would just amend either this act, or the Self Defense Act in a way that prevents the two from conflicting.  Just thought I'd bring this to your attention Wink  
I will amend this bill as legislation that makes amendments to the Self Defense Act.  The amendment is friendly.

The preamble will now read:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies