UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:10:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread  (Read 147737 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« on: June 08, 2017, 12:40:21 AM »

Anyone think Houghton and Sunderland South will be the first constituency to be declared again this year?

Well the Sunderland South constituency has been the first to declare for every single GE in my lifetime, so it'd be quite a shocker if they didn't.

Of course, Sunderland as a whole was only second to declare in Great Britain during the EU referendum, so some other constituencies might try to beat them this year, but I doubt it. 
Is there any reason why the UK counts all the ballots for each riding at once at a 'Central Office' instead at the polling station. It could take hours for all the ballots to arrive before the counting even begins.
It normally takes around 1 hour, to count the ballots at the polling station, you can phone the results to Returning Officer,  which are fed the media, and have the media make projections on who won.
However, you will be missing have the Returning Officer announcing the results with the candidates.

In difference to most countries, it is not allowed to publish results by polling station in Britain. If  I remember correctly, it's a long-standing tradition dating back to when powerful land-owners and factory owners punished their workers if they discovered that their local area had not voted for their favoured candidate.   
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 04:12:41 PM »

Well, I'm going to be very tiered at work tomorrow, because this night will not end early.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »

Senior Conservatives apparently not believing the exit poll at all...

Politicians never believe exit polls when they show results they don't like. Let's just hope for their sake that none of them promise to eat their hats on live television this time around.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »

RUTH DAVIDSON FOR PRIME MINISTER!!!
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »

The same sort of people who wondered whether coal miners in Britain voted mostly Conservative or Labour.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 05:16:02 PM »

The people in the BBC are trying to say that is isn't good for labour when they (I am repeating myself) were already told that labour would do better in REMAIN seats

Listen to what they say. They've said that Tories are doing better than the exit polls expected them to do in Newcastle and Sunderland, even taking LEAVE/REMAIN into account.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 05:20:37 PM »

Particularly as it would indicate that the polls were broadly accurate. Extrapolating from both those seats (error probably) would be a tiny swing from 2015.

Good to see that you couldn't quite stay away. Smiley
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »

Any chance of a Grand Coalition like in Germany?

I think I asked this same question in 2015 when the exit polls showed a minority government with the large loss of seats for the Liberal Democrats.

I have trouble imagining Corbyn and May in the same governement. Grand Coalitions are a uniquely german/nordic things, I think.

What? Except for Finland, Grand coalitions are extremely rare in the Nordic countries.  
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 08:24:08 PM »

Angus Robertson losing might be the best result of this evening. He was a bloody annoying MP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies