WV-03: Williams out (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:41:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-03: Williams out (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WV-03: Williams out  (Read 9943 times)
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« on: February 27, 2018, 01:10:58 AM »

Ojeda could win this year, but he’ll almost certainly lose his seat in 2020 and a Democratic victory here means that they’ve already won the House, so it’s obvious why this seat isn’t one of their top priorities.

A decent chance that would happen, but never underestimate the power of incumbency in West Virginia combined with traditional democratic voting, even for federal races. Exhibit a Joe manchin

But West Virginia is going to be down to two congressional districts for the 2022 election and the GOP-controlled legislature will almost certainly decide to draw the map to protect the two Republican members.

Not if the Democratic Party of West Virginia can reform itself to legislative dominance and create a New Deal for this far-too-forsaken state.

A new pipe dream of mine is to have the coal barons out of their dominance in West Virginia, and have a huge Democratic wave of folks not aligned with the old WV Dem regime come into power in WV. We are clearly seeing that coal is not going to come back to WV, but WV is constantly conned into believing the jobs will come back. There must be a new plan for the state. A new direction. A New Hope.

I assume we could shoot off some stuff into space from flat mountaintops, after all. And isn't Jim Justice rotund enough to be a space station?

But people are stubborn. No space exploration for WV  Cry Cry Cry

Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 01:26:02 AM »

Ojeda could win this year, but he’ll almost certainly lose his seat in 2020 and a Democratic victory here means that they’ve already won the House, so it’s obvious why this seat isn’t one of their top priorities.

A decent chance that would happen, but never underestimate the power of incumbency in West Virginia combined with traditional democratic voting, even for federal races. Exhibit a Joe manchin

But West Virginia is going to be down to two congressional districts for the 2022 election and the GOP-controlled legislature will almost certainly decide to draw the map to protect the two Republican members.

Not if the Democratic Party of West Virginia can reform itself to legislative dominance and create a New Deal for this far-too-forsaken state.

A new pipe dream of mine is to have the coal barons out of their dominance in West Virginia, and have a huge Democratic wave of folks not aligned with the old WV Dem regime come into power in WV. We are clearly seeing that coal is not going to come back to WV, but WV is constantly conned into believing the jobs will come back. There must be a new plan for the state. A new direction. A New Hope.

I assume we could shoot off some stuff into space from flat mountaintops, after all. And isn't Jim Justice rotund enough to be a space station?

But people are stubborn. No space exploration for WV  Cry Cry Cry

I mean this some chance of that happening, at least according to one person who did a well-thought out and realistic timeline on here]. I don't fully agree with the idea that the South goes Democrat, especially the white working class south for what it's worth but it's a great read regardless.

Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to [coal's]
But when we [run out of effective coal jobs]
[Prosperity's] all been erased
And so it [seems some guy on an Internet forum has suddenly wished to create a NASA base in WV for no other reason for no other reason than that he unintentionally wrote "a new hope" in the post referring to wishing for happy days to be here again for WV]
[Unfortunately, this act can only happen] in [dreams where we write out wishful timelines, and then grovel about the current state of politics]

Cry
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 09:19:44 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/statesub.php?year=2016&fips=54903&f=0&off=0&elect=0

Hillary Clinton basically got 50,000 votes in this District. A significant portion of those votes will probably go to the Mountain Party nominee if Democrats nominate someone who supported Trump openly in 2016.
Ojeda's basically the Appalachian Bernie Sanders. I don't think enough voters actually care about who he supported in 2016 (which, by the way, was electorally necessary – had he endorsed Clinton he would've committed political suicide) that it would impact the results in any meaningful way.

Justice came off as a slimy rich guy who never seemed too ideological. Ojeda is nowhere near that; he comes off as an honest (and understandably angry) guy with an inspiring background. People love HIGH ENERGY Ojeda. He's really building a personal brand.

He also has disagreed with Trump on most things; I don't think many of the Clinton voters in this district are going to be #resistance liberals and vote against Ojeda simply on his Trump vote. They will take a win in a state that has not been politically favorable to them for quite some time.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 09:25:58 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/statesub.php?year=2016&fips=54903&f=0&off=0&elect=0

Hillary Clinton basically got 50,000 votes in this District. A significant portion of those votes will probably go to the Mountain Party nominee if Democrats nominate someone who supported Trump openly in 2016.
Ojeda's basically the Appalachian Bernie Sanders. I don't think enough voters actually care about who he supported in 2016 (which, by the way, was electorally necessary – had he endorsed Clinton he would've committed political suicide) that it would impact the results in any meaningful way.

The point is that is was political suicide either way.

Oh no love, you're not alone!

You're watching yourself, but you're too unfair!

You got your head all tangled up, but if I could only make you care!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies