The Romney Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:45:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Romney Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 38
Author Topic: The Romney Administration  (Read 104172 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: May 20, 2018, 08:03:23 PM »
« edited: May 21, 2018, 02:36:29 AM by Old School Republican »

First Debate Highlights:

Important Moment 1:

Lester Holt: As you may know while our budget deficit has got significantly smaller over the last 4 years, they are set to go back up due to more interest expenses. What would you do to make sure the deficit continues to go down over the next 4 years. President Romney we will start with you

Romney: I believe we need to continue what we have done over the past 4 years: 1. Continue to cut wasteful spending, 2 . Make spending more efficient, 3. have an economic policy which encourages Buisnesses to expand and lets people keep more of their own money so they can decide how they want to spend their own money. The reason this is worked is simple, much of the reason we had such large deficits in the first place was due to inefficient spending and slow economic growth and what we have done is reverse that and that has caused the deficit to drop and we will continue to do that.

Clinton: Well, in my opinion, we need to ask the wealthiest among us to pay a little more and my plan for that would be to raise the top tax rate to where it was in the 1990s when our nation had the greatest economic boom in our history, and then we need to pursue an economic policy which results in wage growth among Average Americans. Some things we will do for that give middle-class families a tax cut, raise the minimum wage and train Americans for the economy of the future.

Sanders: Well I agree with Secretary Clinton that we need to raise taxes on the wealthy but it needs to be higher than it was in the 1990s , it needs to be around the level it was before the 1980s when Reagan started this trickle down era. The reason for that is not only do we need the revenues needed to balance our budget, we need to at the same time do stuff like make college tuition-free, guarantee health care for all, rebuild our crumbling infrastructure and rebuild our middle class.

Romney: The assertion made by Senator Sanders is ridiculous, do you know what our economic situation was before Ronald Reagan took office.Not only did we have double-digit unemployment, we had double-digit inflation as well and thanks to Reaganomics we were able to cut the unemployment rate nearly half and inflation by more than 2/3. So this idea that raising taxes will grow our economy is just not true , the fact is we the economic policy you call trickle down economics helped create the greatest economic expansion in our history from 1982-2000, and then once again in the past 4 years helped cut unemployment rate from 8% to 4.5% , and reduce our deficit by more than 60%.

Clinton: President Clinton raised taxes and we had the greatest economic expansion in our history.

Romney: Yes but President Clinton also cut Capital Gain Taxes , and supported deregulation while you oppose both those things.

Important Moment 2:

Holt: Senator Sanders you have repeatedly said you have opposed our nation's trade policy over the last 25 years. Why do you disagree and what would you do differently.

Sanders: The reason for that is simple, they have encouraged large corporations to lay of workers here and then outsource their jobs to China and other nations for cheap labor. This has resulted in millions of good paying jobs to disappear which has resulted in our middle class declining year after year and income inequality going up. If I am elected I will renegotiate many of these trade deals, and if I am unable to get a deal which benefits the working class of this country I will withdraw from them, and implement tariffs so we can start getting our jobs back.

Romney: Once again Senator Sanders your plans have no basis of reality, trade is essential in our modern economy and the fact is we produce more now than we did in the 1970s. The reason the jobs have gone away is due to automation, not free trade deals and while I agree we need to reduce the dependency of trade from only one nation that is exactly what we did when we passed trade deals such as LAFTA, the TPP and a bilateral trade agreement with India.

Clinton: I do think Senator Sanders view on trade is wrong because we have tried that before with Smoot Hawley and it failed terribly. The fact is the President is wrong though as well, as we need to make sure when we sign new free trade agreements they have proper environmental safeguards and have proper labor regulations so countries like China dont abuse their workers.

Romney: The fact is we have done that in our free trade agreements, by letting nations we trade with no that products that our manufactured using child labor will be heavily tariffed.

Clinton: First of not only should they be tariffed they should straight up be banned. I will make sure when I negotiate free trade agreements to ban abhorrent practices such as child labor .

Sanders: Would you agree to renegotiate  NAFTA then

Clinton: No

Sanders: Then neither of you are serious about it . And while Mr.President you bring up statistics about we produce more than we ever did , yes that's true but imagine how much more we would produce if manufacturing jobs were still here instead of overseas.

Important Moment 3:

Lester Holt: As you know the effects of Climate Change is viewed as a larger and larger problem by the scientific community. If you were elected what would you do to help reverse the effects and mitigate future effects

Clinton: First thing we need to do is cap carbon emissions at a reasonable amount, then we must work with nations all across the world to implement regulations which would help solve this problem, and lastly is we must fund green infrastructure projects which will help rebuild our infrastructure and help move our nation away from fossil fuels at the same time.

Sanders: I agree with what Senator Clinton said but I also support implementing a carbon tax so we can greatly disincentivize fossil fuel usage which then will reduce emissions.

Romney: Well my plan is simple: give tax credits to alternative energy companies and fund research into how to reduce the cost of goods sold on alternative energy so its more affordable and accessible by the public .

Clinton: The problem with that is it is not enough as the oil companies have such a large advantage there is no way alternative energy companies can make up for that gap by themselves. So that is why it is the job of the government to come in and say to the oil companies we are going to require you to reduce emissions because the future of our planet is more important than an extra dollar.

Romney: It is not the job of government to pick winners and losers .

Clinton: We arent picking winners and losers, we are just saying you have to reduce emmissions and thats not the first time the government has done something. In the 1970s we implmented regulations to make our air more clean and it worked.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #426 on: May 21, 2018, 03:25:13 AM »

Vice Presidential Debate Highlights:

Important Moment 1:

Elaine Quijano: If any of you 3 are elected to be this country's Vice President what role would you play in the administration and how will your prior experience help you with the job. Governor Vilsack lets start with you

Vilsack: One role I would play is being the President top advisor on many issues facing our nation such as Agricultural policy, Trade Policy,  Energy Policy and my prior experience as Governor of Iowa prepares me for this role because as governor of the state we had do deal with all 3 issues on a regular basis because agriculture policy is so important to the state's economy, Iowa, as you may know, is one of the leaders in corn-based ethanol , and our state relies on trade. This along with my tenure as Secretary of Agriculture gives me the qualifications needed to advise the presidents on these issues and help her with resolving issues between cabinet-level departments.

Kucinich: I dont know the exact role I would play but a role I would play is being the President's top advisor on many different issues. As a member of Congress for so long I dealt with many issues across the board so I think my experience can help him advise him on those issues, and also how to advance the progressive agenda we would be elected on.

Portman: I will continue to play the role I have played over the last 4 years which has been to work with each department to get rid of wasteful spending and make inefficient spending more efficient , and in helping the President, Secretary of State and Trade Representative  negotiate trade deals and then help those trade deals get approved by congress.

Important Moment 2:

Quijano: Moving on to foreign policy, what would be your administration's top goals over the next 4 years. Vice President Portman we will start with you

Portman: The first immediate goal of the administration is to win the war against ISIS which we are very close to doing so. Once that is accomplished we will work with both the Iraqi Government and our allies to make sure Iraq can remain stable in the future so groups like ISIS cant rise. Some other goals of the administration is to continue to be a check on Russian influence in Europe and lastly to successfully implement all the trade deals that have been agreed to and ratified.

Vilsack: Our administration first goal is also to make sure we can guarantee Iraq remains stable after the war. One thing though that we disagree with the current administration is the administration plan once again puts most of the burden on keeping Iraq stable and our plan instead is that it will be the Iraqis who do that along with UN help . Another goal of our administration is to find a proper two-state solution between Israel and Palestine so we can have peace in the region and finally it will to be getting a long-term deal with Iran to make them nuke-free.

Portman: One of the biggest problems an Iran Deal will have is the Iranians arent trustworthy so unless they agree to periodic inspections , and a total shutdown in funding they give to Hamas there is no potential deal we can make. If those things can happen we would support coming up with a long term deal with Iran as well, but since it isnt happening we would oppose an Iran Deal.

Kucinich: Ours would be to withdraw all troops from the middle east once as it was our presence what led to so many people being radicalized in the first place so the first thing we need to do is get our so the cycle doesnt continue.  We then will also stop giving funding to rebels in Syria , and the Whabbi Government in Saudi Arabia both which have contributed to more war , and we will stop the ability to wage more war form happening. Third we will immediately try to negotiate deals with Iran , Russia , and maybe even North Korea so we can avert wars in the future.

Portman: The problem is that we have tried that isolationism before and it doenst work. Neville Chamberlain in the late 1930s tried to Appease the Nazis and instead of preventing war it made the war much worse, and the foolish thing to do is return to those policies.

Kucinich: The Nazis wouldn't have ever come to power if the French and British didn't put such harsh terms on Germany after WW1 in the Treaty of Versailles which made the German people mad and wanting revenge. Also the war may have ended in a stalemate if we didnt get involved direclty from 1917 on or indirectly before that which may have led to fairer terms on all side instead of the terrible deal we got in real.

Vilsack: What we do need is something in the middle, we cant obviously pursue the policy of appeasement but we shouldn't also pursue the policy of total unilateral interventionism either. Both are failed policies and instead we must return to the foreign policy of working with our allies to solve world problems .

Portman: First of all we havent gone in unilaterally so that is wrong, and on Kuncich's point still if the British and French dealt with the Nazis in 1936 they could have defeated them then and the world could have avoided the bloodshed of WW2

Kucnich: We arent talking about total isolationism but instead of non interventionism . We support working with our allies in diplomatic means to solve problems but we do not support using military force always to solve them.

Vilsack: Well out beliefs our more nuanced than just non interventionism and interventionism. Each situation has to be taken differently and what our administration will do is look hard at each issue and decide in which situtation we require diplomacy and which one we will require military interventionism.

Portman: Secretary Vilsack , thats what we have done as the only time we sent in ground troops was in this War against ISIS. In most of the other problems by far we use diplomacy to solve the issues and mostly it has worked.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #427 on: May 21, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2018, 05:00:30 PM by Old School Republican »

Bernie Sanders fails to qualify for the 2nd and 3rd debate due to falling below 15% in the polls

Romney/Portman 429 57%
Clinton/Vilsack 42 29%
Sanders/Kucinich 4 13%

Anderson Cooper: Due to Senator Sanders falling below 15% nationally he won't qualify for either the town hall or foreign policy debate.The Democrats hope this will cause Senator Sanders to get less than 10% of the vote nationally and make sure they at least win Solidly Democratic States like California.

John King: Well I wouldn't be sure about that because currently, it looks like Governor Romney will win close to 45% of the vote in California meaning that Secretary Clinton will need to make sure than Bernie gets less than 10% of the vote in California as well if she wants to hold California. That will be hard in my opinion because California is a state that Bernie will do better in than he does nationally because of places such as Berkley, and San Francisco which are very liberal and have a lot of Bernie or Bust voters.

Anderson Cooper: One thing I am interested to know is hasnt California gotten significantly more  Democratic in the past 12 years , if so why are the GOP share of the vote similar to 2004.

John King: Well actually the margins arent similar if you take into account what the national margins were in 2004 compared to this year. In 2004 the Republicans lost the state by 10 points but won nationally by 3 points which means California as a whole was 13 points more Democratic that the nation. Now say you add the Hillary plus Bernie vote the Republicans would also lose the state by 10 points but they would be leading nationally by 15 points meaning that California as a whole is 25 points more Democratic than the nation. In 2004 if Bush won by 15 points there is a chance he could  win California outright , this year Romney doesnt come close if not for a party split. So I think this election validates that California is solidly a Democratic State, because if  the GOP cant get close to getting 50% of the vote in California in a national environment like this , I doubt they will do it again for a pretty long time.

MycroftCZ

« Reply #428 on: May 21, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »

#MITTmentum
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #429 on: May 21, 2018, 07:32:46 PM »

how is obama doing in the rankings? (By rankings I mean the ones like CSpan.)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #430 on: May 21, 2018, 07:41:07 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2018, 07:46:05 PM by Old School Republican »

Probably around the 26-29 range- Not sure though but in this TL OCare never happens , and the economic recovery happens under Romney's watch and so does Healthcare and Immigration Reform which Obama failed to get passed. Since he didnt have any big failures(if you discount what happened to the dem party under his watch) either he likely doesnt go into the 30s though. 
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #431 on: May 21, 2018, 07:43:54 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2018, 07:53:09 PM by An ATLAS user »

Probably around the 26-29 range(Not sure though but in this TL OCare never happens )

And I would say Romeny is ranked the same as Obama is IOTL, correct?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #432 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:45 PM »

Probably around the 26-29 range(Not sure though but in this TL OCare never happens )

And Romeny?
Likely in the top 15.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #433 on: May 21, 2018, 07:53:34 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2018, 07:57:43 PM by Old School Republican »

And Romeny?

I dont think CSPAN does a ranking of a President until they leave office but if they did it would probably be around the 12-14 range for now, but that ranking will likely go up or down depending on what the results of the many reforms they passed are.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #434 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:00 PM »

Wonder what the 538 forecast is TTL. Hopefully there is no major polling error but in a 3-way race like this there may be a sizable polling error-though Romney will ofc win but could have something surprising like Romney 53%, Clinton 36% and Bernie 9%.(1992 and 1996 were big errors after all). Just my guess.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #435 on: May 22, 2018, 01:30:38 AM »
« Edited: May 22, 2018, 02:44:44 AM by Old School Republican »

Highlights of the 2nd Presidential Debate:

Important Moment 1:

Audience Member: Secretary Clinton, as you that while the healthcare reform bill did start to help make healthcare more affordable, millions of people are still unable to afford health insurance. Do you think the reform bill was the solution or just a first step, and if you think it is just a first step what would be your plan?

Clinton: Thank You for the question Name of Audience Member, the answer to your question was it is just a first step. While I give the President credit for reforming our healthcare system, we have to understand that was just a first step and not the solution. The reason for that is that is while the reform bill that passed does control drug costs and increase competition it still gives the health insurance companies all the power to set costs and that means health care is still unaffordable for millions of Americans. What my plan would do is create a public option as the government unlike private companies dont need to worry about making a profit and thus we can make sure everyone who wants to buy healthcare insurance can get it .

Romney: Secretary Clinton, the health insurance plan we passed does control health insurance costs as well because of the increase in competition. Also another component of my healthcare plan is improving preventive care , which means fewer people will need to get major surgeries and due to that it becomes cheaper for insurance companies to provide you coverage, and due to that the cost of the insurance for you to purchase becomes more affordable. While you are correct that millions of people still dont have health insurance, that is because of the fact that not all the reforms have been fully implemented yet and problems cant get fixed on day 1. Lastly, you mention the fact that a public option wouldn't require the government to make a profit , you know how the government would make up for the losses: by increasing taxes on you even if you didnt sign up for the public option.

Hillary: The Tax increase we are proposing to potentially make up for any loses and keep our deficit from growing any larger, only apply to people making $250,000 and will only go back up to the rates that they were in the 1990s which was when our nation experienced our greatest boom in history. We will not tax the middle class to pay for this

Romney: Reason for that was the tech bubble which burst in 2000, and the fact that Bill Clinton did cut capital gains taxes and supported deregulation both of which you now oppose.

Hillary: Bill also raised the income tax rates
Cooper: Ok we are going to end this conversation here , as we want time to get as many questions as answered as possible.

Important Moment 2:

Audience Member 2: Mr.President as you may know the grade of our nation's infrastructure was given a D+ grade which would mean we dont receive a passing grade. As you may know a poor infrastructure means our economy gets negatively impacted as companies are less likely to move into cities with bad infrastructure. If you are reelected what will you do to improve our grade

Romney: I agree the grade we received for our infrastructure is concerning. That is why a few months ago I signed an executive order which researchers in which type of infrastructure each area needs cause each area needs a different one . Once that we get that report back which we should by the beginning of January, we will invite all the state governors to Wahington along with many members of Congress to talk about how we would fund such a project.

Clinton: Well what I would do is increase infrastructure spending by 75 billion dollars a year and put it in the budget. We can easily pay for it by cutting waste from the Pentagon and that would mean instead of using that money on wasteful spending would be made to improve our infrastructure and help create millions of jobs.

Romney: Well that problem with that solution is the belief that if we throw money at a problem the problem would be solve . The fact is no it wouldnt as al that would do is transfer that money from being wasted in one area to another. The fact is we need to find out in different areas which types of infrastructure they need, for example in areas which are stuck in the dial-up age for the internet , what we would need to do is to expand broadband access to those areas so people living there can use WIFI as well and companies who need to be in an area which has good wifi access now will have even more areas it can expand too. The fact is the type of infrastructure needed in those areas are not the same ones which will be needed in areas that already have good WIFI coverage.

Cooper: Ok lets move on to the next question

Important Moment 3:

Audience Member: Secretary Clinton what would be your plan to make sure Iraq remains stabilized after the war ends, so we dont need to go back 5 years from now to fight another war.

Clinton: Well the first thing I would do is to make sure this remains a joint UN effort , so we can make sure we arent viewed as occupiers as we were after the Invasion of Iraq in 2003. If we arent viewed as occupiers, then what that would do is reduce the ability for insurgents and terrorists to recruit more insurgents and terrorists thus keep Iraq more stable . Another thing we need to do is to make sure the government of Iraq try to unite both Sunnis and Shias in the mission to keep Iraq stable and the best way to do that is by not treating one of those groups worse than the other. If we do that the chances of civil war decreases thus keeps Iraq stable

Romney: My plan would do 3 things: train Iraqi troops further so they can defeat groups like ISIS without much US help,  deploy most of our troops to the areas which have the highest potential for an insurgency to form so we can stop a potential insurgency from being created in the first place, and 3. Keep some amount of forces in Iraq like we do in Germany and South Korea. What this will do is let any potential groups or countries that try to threaten the stability of Iraq to not act upon those threats.

Hillary: The problem with that is first Iraq is not Germany and South Korea so stationing our troops there will always be more dangerous. Second your plan still would mean that the US and not the Iraqis would carry the burden for Iraq remain stable which means they will never be able to do it by themselves once US foces leave.

Romney: Actually no the troops in South Korea are in a lot of danger too because any potential North Korean attack would result in the city they are stationed in being completely leveled. The reason that hasnt happened those is our troops have provided a deterrent against potential North Korean Attack and similiary keeping some of our troops in Iraq will provide a deterrent against terrorist groups like ISIS or a country like Iran from invading.

Hillary: The fact is the people of Germany and South Korea more or less wanted us there more than the Iraqis do which means if we do stay in the long term that will make us look like the occupiers and that is bad news for stability.

Romney:  Well the troops who do stay behind will not go into any offensive combat situations so Iraq will still carry most of the burden for their own stability. What keeping our troops there is provide a deterrent against enemies and that deterrent will keep Iraq more stable

Cooper: Ok you will have more time too talk about this in the 3rd debate .
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #436 on: May 22, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »

A very good TL, although I think Bernie wouldn't run as Green Party candidate. Keep writing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #437 on: May 22, 2018, 02:03:37 PM »

A very good TL, although I think Bernie wouldn't run as Green Party candidate. Keep writing.

Thanks , Im glad you like it
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #438 on: May 22, 2018, 02:50:07 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2018, 06:23:42 PM by Old School Republican »

Highlights of the 3rd and Final Debate

Important Moment 1:

Chris Wallace: As you may know just as its very important to win a war, it is also just as important to handle the post-war period successfully so the victor doesnt have to come back and fight another war in the future. Examples of failures to handle a post-war period successfully was at the end of WW1 with the Treaty of Versailles, and that failure led to a much worse conflict just 20 years later, and another failure was the post-war period after the Invasion of Iraq and that failure led to the rise of ISIS and forced the US to go back to Iraq and fight another war there. How will you make sure the post war period this time goes more successfully so we dont need to go back and fight another war.

Clinton: Well the first things we need to do is understand why the post-war period after the Invasion of Iraq in 2003 went so wrong in the first place. The reason for that was that war was mainly a US effort and not an international effort and due to that it led to the perception that the US was an occupier of Iraqi land. This in turn, made it easier for insurgent and terrorist groups to recruit more people into their groups and that in turn led to the Iraq Insurgency, Al Qaeda in Iraq and ISIS. This time we must make sure this is an international effort and not just an US one so that perception does not get created again , which will help us avoid what happened post  Iraq War in the first place.

Romney: Well I agree with Secretary Clinton that we must understand why the post-war period after the Invasion of Iraq went wrong in the first place. The reasons why it went wrong then was , 1. We didn't have enough troops on the ground to keep things stable after 2003, and 2. the Iraqis didnt have their own military post-Iraq Invasion and due to those two things it created anarchy in many areas and due to that it allowed extremists from all across the middle east, former Republican Guard Troops along with Iraqi extremists to form an insurgency. Sadly it took us until 2007 for the US to fully react to the situation properly, but by then it was too late. This time though we will have enough troops on the ground to keep the most vulnerable areas stable, and Iraq does have their own military this time to helpfully keep the peace. Due to these two things , we wont be back in the situation we were post Iraq War this time.

Clinton: Firstly the reason the Iraqis had no military post 2003 was the US dismantled it in the first place

Romney: I agree that was a huge mistake

Clinton: Another problem with your plan is that you plan to keep troops in Iraq there for the long term like we do in South Korea and Germany. The main difference is while yes our troops in South Korea are under the threat of war any day , South Korea itself is a very stable place so our troops are there  to deter an North Korean Invasion not there to handle local South Korean problems.

Romney: Yes but that deterrent has helped deter the North Koreans from attacking and that is why a deterrence will deter terrorist groups, or enemy countries from attacking Iraq. By the way the troops we keep there will mostly be there for training and advising purposes and will not be there to fight purely local battles.

Important Moment 2:

Chris Wallace: President Romney, you have claimed that you oppose making any type of deal with Iran currently . Why is that and would you change your mind

Romney: I am willing to change my mind if the Iraqis are willing to destroy any potential material they have which would allow them to make nukes ,  destroy much of their offensive military capabilities agree to periodic inspectors to Iran to check if they have upheld that end of the bargin in the deal, and stop all funding to groups like Hamas. If they are willing to do that then yes I would be willing to make a deal with them , but other than that no I wouldn't.

Clinton: My opinion is that we should start negotiating with the Iranians as the best way to make sure Iran is nuke-free and we avoid war with them is by coming to an agreement. While we wont be able to remove all the sanctions until they comply with all what the President just said, we can agree to remove some of them in exchange for Iran destroying their Nuclear Program along with agreeing to inspections. In my belief demanding Iran all those concessions will mean that they wont give up any and that will make things worse not better.

Romney: Again the reason why Iran needs to be sanctioned is not just because of their nuclear program, but also because of their potential threat to their neighbors such as Iraq and their funding of groups who want to destroy Israel. In fact that is why Iran should not get nukes under any circumstances in the first place, because if they had them they would use it too attack Israel and bully Iraq so until they fully get rid of all the things that make them a threat in the region we shouldnt drop sanctions.

Clinton: I am not suggesting that we drop all the sanctions but only some of them in exchange for some concessions. The fact is if Iran doesnt have nukes , Israel can easily defend it self from Iran so the number one priority is to make a deal where they dont have nukes because if they dont they cant be a threat.

Important Moment 3:

Chris Wallace: Secretary Clinton as you may know the North Koreas are in the process of developing long-range missiles which they can use to launch a nuclear attack on the United States. If you are elected what would you to lessen the threats of North Korea to the region and even to the United States.

Clinton: I would work with the United Nations, South Korea, Japan and China to all put sanctions and pressure on the North Koreans to make sure they can never develop that kind of missile. One important thing to remember is even if the North Koreas dont develop long-range missiles, they still have the ability to destroy Seoul with conventional weapons in a few hours so we must do all we can in our ability to make sure the Korean War gets restarted. To make sure that happens we must also work with China to put pressure on the North Korean regime so they dont remain a hostil threat to the South Koreans.

Romney: I agree with Secretary Clinton , that we cannot have war but we must do all we can to reduce the threat North Korea presents as well. The First things we must do is increase sanctions on the North Korean government with Chinese support and with Chinese support we will be able to limit how much of a threat North Korea is. The question on this issues between us is not on what policy we are going to take , but how we will implement and I would argue the foreign policy successes of the past 4 years compared to the previous 4 years shows that we are better to successfully implement it .

Clinton: We must also understand the situation which faced the Obama administration compared to the situation which faced the Romney one. When Obama took office and when I became Secretary of State the world was on a brink of an economic collapse which increased the potential of numerous countries begin destabilized, we were in the middle of two unwinnable wars and our reputation was in tatters. In the 4 years Obama was President and I was secretary of state we rebuild our reputation across the globe, pulled us out of one unwinnable war, killed Osama Bin Laden and helped stablize many countries.

Romney: During the past 4 years we have ended the Syrian Government WMD program, passed numerous trade deals which helps increase both diplomatic and economic ties , put a check on Russian Aggression in Europe and is on the verge of ISIS. May I add that one the reason we had to deal with the last two issues is that the way the Obama admin left Iraq helped destabilize Iraq further and allowed ISIS to rise and had the policy called Russian Reset which let the Russians get away with alot.

Clinton : The Iraq Invasion and its terrible aftermath caused the rise of ISIS not getting the US out of that unwinnable war, and the Russain reset was meant to increase relations between the US and Russian not let Russia get away with everything.

Romney: Well both the way we entered and left Iraq contributed so while the Obama admin doesn't deserve all the blame it deserves some of it. Also the Russian reset was done with the wrong belief that the Russians wanted to be our allies when they didn't and that policy clearly was shown to have failed.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #439 on: May 23, 2018, 01:26:15 AM »

Polls after Debates:

Romney/Portman 399 57.5%
Clinton/Vilsack 42 33.5%
Sanders/Kucinich 3 8%

John King : While Romney will still likely win in a landslide, Secretary Clinton has taken her first lead in California since Senator Sanders announced his third-party bid and if the trends continue will likely carry CA which and possibly even win back IL although Romney still has around a 4 point lead in the state.

In the House, the Democrats who were worried about losing about 20-30 seats in the House in August now are only expected to lose anywhere between 7-17 seats in the House which means their worst case scenario according to our latest polls is better than what was viewed as a best case scenario just 2 months ago.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #440 on: May 23, 2018, 01:57:22 AM »

Breaking News: FBI reopens Clinton Email Probe due to looking into new evidence

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #441 on: May 23, 2018, 02:13:03 AM »

FBI Clears Hillary Again due to finding no criminal wrongdoing in new emails

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #442 on: May 23, 2018, 02:54:01 AM »

CNN - America's Choice 2016 (Exit Polls)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9xY_CoC_M

Wolf Blitzer: We will head over to John King who will show us the results of our exit polls

John King: Wolf here is what our exit polls are saying

Direction of Country:

Right Track: 66% ; Mitt Romney 80%, Hillary Clinton 19%, Bernie Sanders 1%
Wrong Tack : 34% ; Hillary Clinton 59% , Bernie Sanders 27%, Mitt Romney 14%

Race:

Whites: 70% ; Mitt Romney 66%, Hillary Clinton 23%, Bernie Sanders 11%
African Americans: 12% ; Hillary Clinton 79% , Mitt Romney 14%, Bernie Sanders 7%
Hispanics: 11% ; Mitt Romney 53%, Hillary Clinton 42%, Bernie Sanders 5%
Asians: 4% ; Mitt Romney 60% , Hillary Clinton 31%, Bernie Sanders 9%
Other 3%: Hillary Clinton 42% , Mitt Romney 42% , Bernie Sanders 16%

Males: 48% ; Mitt Romney 63% , Hillary Clinton 23% , Bernie Sanders 14%
Females: 52%l Mitt Romney 52%, Hillary Clinton 42%, Bernie Sanders 6%

18-29: 19% ; Mitt Romney 51% , Bernie Sanders 25%, Hillary Clinton 24%
30-44: 25% ; Mitt Romney 54% , Hillary Clinton 36% , Bernie Sanders 10%
50-64: 40% ; Mitt Romney 62% , Hillary Clinton 33%, Bernie Sanders 5%
65+ : 16%  ; Mitt Romney 59% , Hillary Clinton 38%, Bernie Sanders 3%

Bernie Sanders Voters on who they would vote for if matchup was just  Romney vs Hillary:

Hillary Clinton 94%
Mitt Romney: 6%

Mitt Romney Approval Rating:

Approve: 59%
Disapprove: 40%

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #443 on: May 23, 2018, 03:21:36 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2018, 03:45:47 AM by Old School Republican »

CNN - America's Choice 2016 (Hour One)

7:00

Wolf Blitzer: CNN is ready to make its first projections of the night, and CNN can project that Governor Romney will win the States of Kentucky, Georgia, Indiana and South Carolina, Virginia, and New Hampshire while Senator Sanders will win the State of Vermont .  Here is what the map looks like so far.

Romney 61
Sanders 3
Clinton 0

We also can project in the House the Republicans not only will hold the chamber but make gains. The numbers we are projecting so far are

Republicans : 265 - 275
Democrats   : 160 - 170

So we can project the Republicans will pick up anywhere from 8 to 18 seats. Lets now go over to our team

Dana Bash: I would say the House results aren't that bad results for the Democrats seeing that they are still doing significantly better than they were expected to  in August

7:30

Wolf Blitzer: The Polls have closed in 3 more states and we can project that Governor Romney will win the State of West Virginia, Ohio, and North Carolina

Romney 99
Sanders 3
Clinton 0

Wolf Blitzer: Lets go to John King who will tell us the keys in the North Carolina Governor Race.

John King: Well what we expect is that the Democrats will do well in Charlotte, and Railegh and Republicans in the Rural areas and suburbs. Here is the key though if Democrats are able to reduce the GOP margins in the suburbs they will win the governorship tonight. So basically its the same keys as the 2014 senate race but this time the race is more favorable to the Democrats than it was in 2014.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #444 on: May 23, 2018, 05:53:10 PM »

CNN - America's Choice 2016 (Hour Two)

8:00

Wolf Blitzer: CNN can now project that the President will win the states of Alabama, Florida, 3 of the 4 electoral votes in Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. We an also project that Secretary Clinton will win the states of Maryland and also win the District of Columbia. Right now the state of Connecticut, Deleware,Illionis , Massachuttes, Rhode Island and Maine's 1st district are too early to call.

Romney 208
Clinton 13
Sanders 3

Gloria Borger: Again this is no surprise given the fact you have a popular president up for reelection facing a divided opposition.

Anderson Cooper: But what does surprise me is how well Romney is doing in states like New Jersey ,Maine and New Hampshire, our exit polls showed that he is doing nearly as well in New Jersey and Maine as he is nationwide and New Hampshire he is doing much better.

Wolf Blitzer: Lets go back to John King for an update on the Illinois Senate Race

John King: Well this race is going to be very close and what we do know is Congressman Duckworth will win big in Cook County , Senator Kirk will do well in the rest of the state and it will come down to how well either does in the Collar Counties. One of the advantages Congressman Duckworth and any Democrat in Illinois have is that they do not need to win the Collar Counties outright to win the state , while the GOP needs to win them by a pretty healthy margin. So while Senator Kirk we believe will win the Collar Counties what he needs are good margins there as well.

8:30

Wolf Blitzer: CNN can now project that the states of Arkansas and Massachuttes will be won by the President.

Romney 225
Clinton 13
Sanders 3

We can also project that in Vermont Gubernatorial Race the Republican Lieutenant Governor Phil Scott will win meaning that so far in the Gubernatorial Races tonight the GOP has a pickup of 1.
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #445 on: May 23, 2018, 07:02:00 PM »

This is a 1984-redux. An incumbent with a 59% approval rating on Election Day will be assured re-election. What was Reagan's approval rating before his landslide win in 1984
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #446 on: May 23, 2018, 11:09:44 PM »

This is a 1984-redux. An incumbent with a 59% approval rating on Election Day will be assured re-election. What was Reagan's approval rating before his landslide win in 1984

between 58% and 61%
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #447 on: May 23, 2018, 11:34:16 PM »

between 58% and 61%

Almost identical to Romney's ITTL
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #448 on: May 23, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »

between 58% and 61%

Almost identical to Romney's ITTL

Though one major difference was Reagan's support was much more uniform than Romney. Even with a divided opposition, Romney wont be able to recieve as many electoral votes as Reagan did in 1984.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #449 on: May 24, 2018, 12:47:11 AM »

CNN - America's Choice 2016 (Hour Three)

9:00

CNN Banner: Mitt Romney Reelected
Wolf Blitzer: CNN can now project that Mitt Romney will be reelected as President of the United States. The reason we are able to make that projection is that the President has won the states of Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan , Minnesota  , Nebraska, New Mexico, North and South Dakota, Texas , Wisconsin and Texas. That will mean the President will have won at least 352 electoral votes which easily surpasses the 270 someone needs to be elected President.

Romney 352
Clinton 13
Sanders 3

Wolf Blitzer: We can also project that in the West Virginia Gubernatorial Race Jeff Kessler will win meaning the Democrats will hold one governor races here tonight which was viewed as a potential flip. In the Senate, we can project that Congressman Todd Young will defeat former Senator Evan Bayh and will be the next Senator of Indiana. Now lets head over to John King who will go over some key races we are looking at.

John King: First let us begin in the Illinois Senate Race , and we can see that currently Congressman Duckworth is dominating in Cook County while Senator Kirk is dominating downstate and as we said when the night began the race is going to come down to the raw numbers in the Collar Counties. currently, this state is a pure tossup and likely wont be decided until the morning hours of tomorrow.

In the Gubernatorial Races we can say that currently Mr.Kander as the edge of Mr.Greitens due to his domination in St Louis, Kansas City , and outperforming most Democrats in the more rural and suburban counties as well.

9:45:

Wolf Blitzer: We can now project the Presidents will win the States of Connecticut and Rhode Island

Romney 362
Clinton 13
Sanders 3

In the Gubernatorial Race we can project that Jason Kander will be the next Governor of Missouri. Now lets call in Van Jones and Ana Navarro who will discuss the results . I want to ask you Ana , our exit poll shows Romney winning over 50% of Hispanics , and making inroads in many other democratic areas. Why do you think that is

Navarro: Simple the reasons Democrats did so well with the Hispanic Vote for so long was because they were the party more trusted to pass immigration reform, and Republicans were attacked by them as Anti-Immigrant. The fact is the President who passed immigration reform was not a Democrat, it was a Republican and the President made it easier for legal immigration to become citizens as well. Due to this the Democrats lost their one issue what allowed them to do so well with Hispanics , just like they lost the Seniors vote when Bush passed Medicare Part D because that proved that Republicans dont want to take away their Medicare and were the ones who got prescription drugs covered by Medicare not the Democrats. Similarly, it was immigration reform now, so unless the Democrats change not only will they lose the Hispanic Vote in the future they will lose much other voting groups that have voted Democrats just like they have basically since 1980.

Wolf Blitzer: Van what do you think this election sends to the Democrats and what do you think is the way out of the wilderness

Van Jones: Well this election shows we need to unite our party , and the only way we can do that is if the Party decides to step back and think about ways they can make the party united behind a few ideas.Step 2 is that our party must do what Ana said and find a new coalition because there is now way our party will be able to win with the way the Coalition has been for the last 25 years because the issues have changed . Lastly we must focus on 2018 and downballot first and 2020 later as rebuilding starts from the ground up.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies