ND-SEN: But you are, Blanche, you are
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:04:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ND-SEN: But you are, Blanche, you are
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 47
Author Topic: ND-SEN: But you are, Blanche, you are  (Read 108660 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: July 09, 2018, 07:57:30 PM »

ND and TX in the same category is pretty funny.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #451 on: July 09, 2018, 11:23:30 PM »

Why in the world are people speculating about T***p's f**king nicknames as if people actually voted based on them?

Because it's fun and is an excellent example of how immature our current President is and what a stupid time we are living in.

And how immature are we for focusing on this instead of all the ways his administration is screwing over this country (or, in this case, instead of meaningful electoral news)?

Yep! He is screwing us with a roaring economy.

Yep!  He is screwing us by ending climate change boondoggle spending.  You know I would believe you lefties were serious about climate change if you supported nuclear energy. Instead you suport all sorts of wild spending schemes.

1. Most green activists support Nuclear energy, though would prefer renewables in the further future. I don't see how any of the "wild spending schemes" you are talking about exclude nuclear energy.
2. You know if you righties were serious about "being mildly intelligent human beings with an interest in the continuation of our species" then you would stop making up excuses for listening to lobbyists and corrupt politicians and pass a carbon tax. 
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #452 on: July 10, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »

Why in the world are people speculating about T***p's f**king nicknames as if people actually voted based on them?

Because it's fun and is an excellent example of how immature our current President is and what a stupid time we are living in.

And how immature are we for focusing on this instead of all the ways his administration is screwing over this country (or, in this case, instead of meaningful electoral news)?

As if we aren't doing that. We can focus on more than one facet of Trump, his persona, and his administration.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #453 on: July 10, 2018, 05:57:36 PM »

ND isn't lean R but some people on this forum are a little too arrogant about Heitkamp being favored even though she trails in almost every poll taken on this race. Sure, those polls were for the most part poor, but maybe you should wait until she starts leading before ridiculing people for thinking she might lose.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #454 on: July 11, 2018, 03:28:26 PM »

Heitkamp is someone who could really get screwed over the SCOTUS nomination, if she votes no she gives up any pretense of being a moderate and likely loses several centrist/conservative votes. If she votes yeas she risks alienating the far left that is funding her campaign
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #455 on: July 11, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »

Heitkamp is someone who could really get screwed over the SCOTUS nomination, if she votes no she gives up any pretense of being a moderate and likely loses several centrist/conservative votes. If she votes yeas she risks alienating the far left that is funding her campaign

I don't think communists and anarchists are funding her, or even voting for her considering many communists/anarchists refuse to vote because of their ideology.

Terms like "far left" don't mean "someone I disagree with."
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #456 on: July 11, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »

I don't think communists and anarchists are funding her, or even voting for her considering many communists/anarchists refuse to vote because of their ideology.

Whatever you describe "far left" as, a lot of the major individuals and groups who are funding her are the types who believe that Brett Kavanaugh will kill millions if confirmed on the bench. A yes vote will not please those people
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #457 on: July 11, 2018, 03:55:28 PM »

Whatever you describe "far left" as, a lot of the major individuals and groups who are funding her are the types who believe that Brett Kavanaugh will kill millions if confirmed on the bench. A yes vote will not please those people

Who here thinks that? Generally speaking, you seem obsessed with calling Berniecrats far left (which is at best sloppy political analysis), and that said far left already runs the Democratic Party.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #458 on: July 11, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »

We can very well have McCaskill and Heidi both lose and replaced by Sinema and Rosen
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #459 on: July 11, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »

ND and TX in the same category is pretty funny.

Funnier than the possibility of two Democratic senators, one from TN and one from AL, in 2018? I would have never thought it possible.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #460 on: July 12, 2018, 04:09:25 AM »

TIL you're not a moderate unless you support a far-right SCOTUS nominee. Roll Eyes
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #461 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:19 AM »

TIL you're not a moderate unless you support a far-right SCOTUS nominee. Roll Eyes

Such is life when you live in a political climate polarized based on an issue of morality.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #462 on: July 12, 2018, 08:29:41 AM »

If she votes no for cause, then she simply says "nominate someone else".Kavanaugh apparently has some suspect finances.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #463 on: July 12, 2018, 08:47:21 AM »

Such is life when you live in a political climate polarized based on an issue of morality.

On a kinda sorta maybe semi-related note:

This is obviously anecdotal, but interestingly enough, I've talked to quite a few rank-and-file Republicans who have said they would support (albeit reluctantly) raising taxes to make free or low-cost contraceptives available in all grocery stores once they realize that increasing access to and the affordability of contraceptives is by far the most effective way to reduce the number of abortions (significantly more effective than banning abortion would be, tbh), especially ones from the religious right faction ( Smiley Smiley affluent socially liberal fiscal conservatives Smiley Smiley tend not to like this idea so much Tongue ).  File that under unexpected common ground that can be found when you engage in civil discourse with folks you completely disagree with Tongue

I also never cease to be surprised by the number of folks I've talked to who were shocked to learn contraceptives/birth control aren't "abortion drugs," but instead simply prevent the pregnancy from occurring in the first place. 
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #464 on: July 12, 2018, 09:23:26 AM »

On a kinda sorta maybe semi-related note:

This is obviously anecdotal, but interestingly enough, I've talked to quite a few rank-and-file Republicans who have said they would support (albeit reluctantly) raising taxes to make free or low-cost contraceptives available in all grocery stores once they realize that increasing access to and the affordability of contraceptives is by far the most effective way to reduce the number of abortions (significantly more effective than banning abortion would be, tbh), especially ones from the religious right faction ( Smiley Smiley affluent socially liberal fiscal conservatives Smiley Smiley tend not to like this idea so much Tongue ).  File that under unexpected common ground that can be found when you engage in civil discourse with folks you completely disagree with Tongue

I also never cease to be surprised by the number of folks I've talked to who were shocked to learn contraceptives/birth control aren't "abortion drugs," but instead simply prevent the pregnancy from occurring in the first place. 

Access to contraceptives (especially IUDs) and universal parental leave would probably halve the abortion rate within a few years
BillyW
Rookie
United States

« Reply #465 on: July 12, 2018, 11:07:01 PM »

Reading how many democrats on here think the SC is not an issue at all gladdens my heart and gives me optimism for the senate races this fall.

It is a huge issue for people on the right and is probably the number one reason Hillary is taking long walks in the woods instead of sitting in the Oval Office.

there are still 4 lefty justices who will absolutely ignore the clear reading of what the constitution says to advance their agenda.

As others have said HH is in a real tight spot. Her only option is to vote to confirm Kavanaugh. If she doesn't she is done. Voting  for him gives her a chance. I'll yield to those who are more well versed in Montana politics than I am  to say what her chances are but candidates and campaigns matter. It gives her a shot. I don't know how it will end but it should be a good race that I'll be watching all the way to November.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #466 on: July 12, 2018, 11:13:43 PM »

The Supreme Court brought this upon itself by blatantly making stuff up to get the ruling they wanted. The craziest part is that they seemed blissfully unaware of the ramifications and destruction it would wreak on the US political system.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #467 on: July 12, 2018, 11:15:11 PM »

there are still 4 lefty justices who will absolutely ignore the clear reading of what the constitution says to advance their agenda.

Why are conservatives always claiming the mantle of this? You honestly believe that conservatives don't have their own 'activist judges' as well? As if your judges aren't getting overly creative with the 1st amendment justifications these days?

This sounds as silly to me as how apparently conservatives are the only true patriots (yet somehow elected Donald Trump). Or conservatives are the real Americans. Not only do they disagree with liberals, but liberals aren't even real. They make up rules, legislate from the bench and are evil unpatriotic commies.
BillyW
Rookie
United States

« Reply #468 on: July 12, 2018, 11:20:28 PM »

It's been a long day. I said Montana in my above post when I meant N.D. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #469 on: July 13, 2018, 03:45:21 AM »

The Supreme Court brought this upon itself by blatantly making stuff up to get the ruling they wanted. The craziest part is that they seemed blissfully unaware of the ramifications and destruction it would wreak on the US political system.

You can definitely argue that the Warren Court was the one that normalized this practice (although given the shameless abuses of judicial power involved in the Dred Scott decision or in Lochner-era jurisprudence, it's a pretty simplistic view) but in the past few decades, conservatives have elevated blatantly partisan judicial activism to an art form. So, yes, both sides do it and both sides need to stop doing it.
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #470 on: July 13, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »

Why are conservatives always claiming the mantle of this? You honestly believe that conservatives don't have their own 'activist judges' as well? As if your judges aren't getting overly creative with the 1st amendment justifications these days?

Just to reinforce to your point, here’s a quote from Justice Alito in the recent SC gerrymandering case: ”In redistricting cases, the ‘good faith of [the] state legislature must be presumed.”.

LMAO

North Carolina arguments were heard in the case, so here’s a quote from NC State Rep. David Lewis in 2010, who is co-chair of the General Assembly’s redistricting committee (for the U.S. house).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article93903767.html
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #471 on: July 13, 2018, 06:36:15 PM »

This sounds as silly to me as how apparently conservatives are the only true patriots (yet somehow elected Donald Trump). Or conservatives are the real Americans. Not only do they disagree with liberals, but liberals aren't even real. They make up rules, legislate from the bench and are evil unpatriotic commies.

Totally agreed. Either way the Supreme Court really isn't about interpretations of the Constitution, or jurisprudence anymore, if it even ever was. It's based on politics and potentially always has been. That needs to be accepted.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #472 on: July 13, 2018, 06:39:04 PM »

Reading how many democrats on here think the SC is not an issue at all gladdens my heart and gives me optimism for the senate races this fall.

It is a huge issue for people on the right and is probably the number one reason Hillary is taking long walks in the woods instead of sitting in the Oval Office.

As others have said HH is in a real tight spot. Her only option is to vote to confirm Kavanaugh. If she doesn't she is done. Voting  for him gives her a chance. I'll yield to those who are more well versed in Montana politics than I am  to say what her chances are but candidates and campaigns matter. It gives her a shot. I don't know how it will end but it should be a good race that I'll be watching all the way to November.

If you think Heitkamp is from Montana, I'd say that probably everyone here knows more about it.
BillyW
Rookie
United States

« Reply #473 on: July 13, 2018, 08:05:46 PM »

If you think Heitkamp is from Montana, I'd say that probably everyone here knows more about it.

See post 72
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #474 on: July 13, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »

See post 72

Yep, I just missed your correction.  Comment withdrawn with apologies.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies