SENATE BILL: September 2017 Foreign Relations Review (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:47:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: September 2017 Foreign Relations Review (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: September 2017 Foreign Relations Review (Passed)  (Read 4092 times)
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: September 27, 2017, 11:40:59 AM »

I echo the words of Senator Henry Wallace on Saudi Arabia. They have more flagrantly been at odds with Atlasia than many other nations we've put partial sanctions on, and we've overlooked their ties to terrorist activities for too long. I disagree with the Senator, though, on sanctioning Egypt. While undoubtedly a dictatorship, el-Sisi has done more to combat Islamist terrorism in the region than his predecessor, and we should encourage moderate and secular regimes in the Middle East through diplomacy when possible. Establishing Western-style democracies is a much more ambitious and unlikely goal for the time being.

I also motion that we lift our sanctions on two Southeast Asian countries: Thailand and the Philippines. They have historically been two of the most pro-Atlasian nations in the region, and they continue to be strong supporters when some of their neighbors are considerably more hostile. Thailand's friendship with Atlasia goes back to the mid-1800s, when their king wrote to President Lincoln about supplying an elephant for the Union Army. Despite any disagreements our government may have with theirs, we need to strengthen our bonds with our allies and ensure that we'll have reliable partners in the Asian peninsula during these rocky times.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »

All right, I'll go ahead and formally offer this amendment. If it's the wrong way to do it for the review, let me know and I'll change whatever I need to.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 03:13:10 PM »

I object to Senator Wallace's amendment. I would rather not want to see additional sanctions applied on countries like Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam at a time when we're at war and the cost of alienating any other Asian partners is too high. When China is now blatantly trying to extort us with our current situation, we need all the countries on our side that we can get. China's relations with Vietnam have long been dismal, so I'm not as worried about them, but Cambodia has tried to get on their good side much more, even cutting off all ties with Taiwan. Should the conflict go south, Cambodia could easily fight with China against us after facing new sanctions all of a sudden.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 04:45:52 PM »

Nay
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:12:32 AM »

I motion that we take a bold step forward and recognize the newly independent Catalonia, whose people have been subject to a brutal crackdown by the Spanish government. Atlasia must be a global leader in asserting the right to self-determination no matter what part of the world you may be from.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 07:42:39 PM »

Aye
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »

That is also good with me.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 02:10:27 AM »

Should this be something that we advance towards a final vote by now? I'm largely pleased with the bill as it stands and debate hasn't gone on in a while.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 12:03:29 PM »

I object to the amendment.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina