Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 03:13:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568  (Read 12986 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
« edited: February 09, 2012, 07:19:48 PM by Politico »

No one has any medical need for contraception.

The ignorance of this statement is astonishing.

Nobody NEEDS contraception. Want contraception? It's readily available at the local drug store or grocery store. It's dirt cheap, too. It is a want, not a need, and if you can't afford condoms at the local drugstore then you should probably re-consider your priorities.

Forcing a religious institution to do something that is against their beliefs is not American. It's practically communist.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 07:19:47 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes they are. They prevent implantation, not contraception. You take them after contraception in order to procure an early term abortion.

By the time you take them - the egg has already been fertilized. They take effect after, not before conception.

If that were the case you would take them before having sex. We don't call it the 'morning before' pill, do we?

That's the whole purpose of the pill.

When you define personhood - as Santorum does, as beginning with contraception - then yes, it procures an early term abortion.

Cite?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20:28 PM »

Most Catholic institutions do take faith into consideration and try to hire faithful Catholics. This requirement would also apply to nuns who work for various Catholic charities. Terrible optics for Obama not doing the standard opt out clause - where those wishing for a conscience exemption can simply choose not to participate.

I'm not sure why the government should require people to purchase elective coverage. No one has any medical need for contraception.

Um... really? Do you know how many OTHER conditions are treated by the pill?

In fact, I'll help you out...
* Acne
* Severe period pain
* Polycystic ovarian syndrome
* Ovarian cysts
...and plenty more...

Plus women who use oral contraceptives have a much lower rate of ovarian and endometrial cancer...

To be fair Polnut, I do think the Catholic church covers it for those disorders. Correct me if I am wrong though.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »

Birth control pills have valid hormonal purposes outside of contraception, and the Catholic Church recognizes that (principle of double effect, etc). I can't think of any other specific medical need for contraceptives though.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20:57 PM »

For what? Santorum's position - or the fact that the morning after pill prevents implantation?

You already said so yourself.
Link
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2012, 07:21:17 PM »

So if you are a Republican do you just not give a flying fuck about anyone other than white males?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »

Most Catholic institutions do take faith into consideration and try to hire faithful Catholics. This requirement would also apply to nuns who work for various Catholic charities. Terrible optics for Obama not doing the standard opt out clause - where those wishing for a conscience exemption can simply choose not to participate.

I'm not sure why the government should require people to purchase elective coverage. No one has any medical need for contraception.

* Acne
* Severe period pain
* Ovarian cysts
...and plenty more...

Plus women who use oral contraceptives have a much lower rate of ovarian and endometrial cancer...

To be fair Polnut, I do think the Catholic church does cover it for those disorders. Correct me if I am wrong though.

I believe that's a case-by-case issue, I was just referencing the ignorance of the statement primarily.
Link
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »

Nobody NEEDS contraception. Want contraception? It's readily available at the local drug store or grocery store. It's dirt cheap, too. It is a want, not a need, and if you can't afford condoms at the local drugstore then you should probably re-consider your priorities.

Forcing a religious institution to do something that is against their beliefs is not American. It's practically communist.

I've never heard of using condoms to treat endometriosis.  Link please or we will all assume you are lying.

The ignorance on the far right is astonishing.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »

Like I said, I'm a practicing Catholic. I see refusal to pay for contraception as part of my faith. Obama wants me to pay - he's welcome to have me arrested and thrown into jail.

But we all know that forcing people to pay for the things that you want is part of liberal democracy.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »

* Acne
* Severe period pain
* Ovarian cysts
...and plenty more...

To be fair Polnut, I do think the Catholic church does cover it for those disorders. Correct me if I am wrong though.

I believe that's a case-by-case issue, I was just referencing the ignorance of the statement primarily.

To the best of my knowledge, the Church doesn't have anything against birth control pills prescribed for non-contraceptive purposes.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:21 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:27:14 PM by Senator Polnut »

* Acne
* Severe period pain
* Ovarian cysts
...and plenty more...

To the best of my knowledge, the Church doesn't have anything against birth control pills prescribed for non-contraceptive purposes.

Of course a side-effect will be contraception...

I'm somewhat touchy about this as my sister suffered terribly from a reproductive disorder that required the pill to manage it.

The basic principle is that an employer should NEVER be able to interfere with the private medical matters of their employees.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:31:11 PM by realisticidealist »

* Acne
* Severe period pain
* Ovarian cysts
...and plenty more...

Of course a side-effect will be contraception...

I mentioned the principle of double effect earlier. Basically, if the primary purpose of taking the pill was to cure a medical condition, but it happened to have a contraceptive effect, the Church would be ok with that, provided that there is no other non-contraceptive medicine that could easily provide the same remedy.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »

For what? Santorum's position - or the fact that the morning after pill prevents implantation?

You already said so yourself.

Sperm can live in the human body for a long time, believe it or not. That being said the main mechanism of action is to prevent ovulation, you cannot deny that. It may also prevent implantation, but the evidence for that is weaker. As my citation states, it prevents ovulation 70-80% of the time, but is effective 96-98% of the time. Plan B is a gray area, I agree, but it's not straight up killing the embryo like abortion is. Normally implantation fails to occur for many, many different reasons. Nobody ever cares about that though.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry to bust your bubble. I'm not Teddy. Cheesy
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:31:22 PM by Politico »

I've never heard of using condoms to treat endometriosis.  Link please or we will all assume you are lying.

If you are taking the pill solely to treat endometriosis, you are NOT taking the pill as a contraceptive. Furthermore, there are other ways to treat said illness. Finally, the Catholic hospitals are not denying treatment of endometriosis.

Contraception is a want, not a need. If you want something strictly for contraceptive purposes, it's readily available at the local drug store. Condoms are cheaper, and also help prevent STDs and HIV/AIDS. The latter is on the rise again because people are using condoms less and less, especially for activities involving "santorum." Condoms are the best contraceptive, and you don't even need a prescription.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »

If you are taking the pill to treat endometriosis, you are taking the pill as a contraceptive. Furthermore, there are other ways to treat said illness.

Contraception is a want, not a need. If you want something strictly for contraceptive purposes, it's readily available at the local drug store. It is cheaper, and it also helps prevent STDs and HIV/AIDS. It's the best contraceptive, and you don't even need a prescription.

You truly are without help aren't you?

So you know better than doctors?
Link
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »

If you are taking the pill solely to treat endometriosis, you are NOT taking the pill as a contraceptive. Furthermore, there are other ways to treat said illness. Finally, the Catholic hospitals are not denying treatment of endometriosis.

A minute ago you hadn't even heard of the disease and now you are an expert?  Give us a break.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 07:34:42 PM by Politico »

If you are taking the pill to treat endometriosis, you are taking the pill as a contraceptive. Furthermore, there are other ways to treat said illness.

Contraception is a want, not a need. If you want something strictly for contraceptive purposes, it's readily available at the local drug store. It is cheaper, and it also helps prevent STDs and HIV/AIDS. It's the best contraceptive, and you don't even need a prescription.

You truly are without help aren't you?

So you know better than doctors?

If you can name a contraception other than condoms that helps prevent the spread of STDs and HIV/AIDS, let me hear it.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:08 PM »

Thank you for playing. You admit that it prevents implantation, I have a problem with that because I believe that personhood begins at conception.

This is altogether a completely different issue from actual contraceptives (things like condoms), which are prohibited by the Church for use by practicing Catholics.

If people don't want to be Catholic - the solution is really simple. Don't be a Catholic. By the same token, the state should not infringe on the free exercise of Catholic religious beliefs, as Obama is doing here.

That people are justifying Obama's edicts strikes me as self-serving. Rather than paying for contraception that they use, they would rather force the majority of the tax paying population (which has no use or desire for contraception), into payment.

If contraception is so wonderful, then people should have no problems paying for it as necessary. I have no problem with people choosing contraception, but I do have a problem paying for other people to use it when I do not use it or need it myself.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:24 PM »

A minute ago you hadn't even heard of the disease and now you are an expert?  Give us a break.

Speak for yourself. I once had a girlfriend who had endometriosis.
Link
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2012, 07:36:34 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2012, 01:46:12 AM by Link »

Contraception is a want, not a need.

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »

Hey politico - they'll probably question whether she was actually a woman now. Wink
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »

Your support of this nonsense makes you a Big Government stooge who implicitly believes the state owns you and I.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »

Thank you for playing. You admit that it prevents implantation, I have a problem with that because I believe that personhood begins at conception.

This is altogether a completely different issue from actual contraceptives (things like condoms), which are prohibited by the Church for use by practicing Catholics.

If people don't want to be Catholic - the solution is really simple. Don't be a Catholic. By the same token, the state should not infringe on the free exercise of Catholic religious beliefs, as Obama is doing here.

That people are justifying Obama's edicts strikes me as self-serving. Rather than paying for contraception that they use, they would rather force the majority of the tax paying population (which has no use or desire for contraception), into payment.

If contraception is so wonderful, then people should have no problems paying for it as necessary. I have no problem with people choosing contraception, but I do have a problem paying for other people to use it when I do not use it or need it myself.

BCP's that need to be taken everyday can get very expensive after a while. They need to be taken everyday even if you only have a sex a few times a month.

I already noted implantation does not occur naturally many, many times after conception. Perhaps we need to craft up some legislation to prevent that as well. Roll Eyes You are free to protest against it all you like, but no one will care. You absolutists lost in Mississippi. Mississippi.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »

If you Big Government stooges want to do something that will help people, go promote the use of condoms. One person becoming infected with HIV in America is one too many in this day and age. Promote awareness instead of just spreading santorum. It is THE contraception everybody outside of marriage should use.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies