FL-GOV 2018: Ron DeSantis vs. Andrew Gillum: Who wins? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:20:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-GOV 2018: Ron DeSantis vs. Andrew Gillum: Who wins? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins this matchup?
Andrew Gillum (D-Fla.)

Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 292

Author Topic: FL-GOV 2018: Ron DeSantis vs. Andrew Gillum: Who wins?  (Read 42903 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 28, 2018, 10:56:16 PM »

Tossup/Tilt R. RDS has the advantage, though the #hottakes that Gillum is DOA are silly
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »

RDS by 2 if I were to guess right now. Still better than if Graham had won.

Definitely like Gillum's chances better than Ben Jealous' atm.

Oh yeah can’t even compare to Jealous
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »

I have trouble believing Gillum is really up 5 points.  There were a lot of undecideds in the poll that gave that result, and Florida's GOP is far more organized and in far better shape than Florida's Democratic Party.

That's a Horse Race Analysis statement, not an endorsement.  I haven't decided who I will vote for.  DeSantis is bad because he promises to be just like Rick Scott.  Gillum is bad because while he advocates some things I approve of (expanding Medicaid, some criminal justice proposals), he also advocates some things I consider horrible ($15/hour minimum wage, pro-gun control, elimination of McKay Scholarships which enables my son to go to a safe school, in favor of a teachers' union agenda).  In this situation where neither candidate is particularly attractive to me, I'm going to have to do a lot of homework to decide which candidate is better for me and my family.

I suppose the question becomes if you think the GOP controlled House would block Gillum initiatives you may disagree with
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 01:34:17 PM »

I have trouble believing Gillum is really up 5 points.  There were a lot of undecideds in the poll that gave that result, and Florida's GOP is far more organized and in far better shape than Florida's Democratic Party.

That's a Horse Race Analysis statement, not an endorsement.  I haven't decided who I will vote for.  DeSantis is bad because he promises to be just like Rick Scott.  Gillum is bad because while he advocates some things I approve of (expanding Medicaid, some criminal justice proposals), he also advocates some things I consider horrible ($15/hour minimum wage, pro-gun control, elimination of McKay Scholarships which enables my son to go to a safe school, in favor of a teachers' union agenda).  In this situation where neither candidate is particularly attractive to me, I'm going to have to do a lot of homework to decide which candidate is better for me and my family.

I suppose the question becomes if you think the GOP controlled House would block Gillum initiatives you may disagree with

The McKay Scholarship issue is the big one.  It allows for him to be educated in an alternative setting due to his ADHD.  There are classes for him in the public school in a similar setting, but, to be honest, these classes are unsafe.  He was bullied daily when he went to public school, and the school was either unwilling or unable to stop it.

Gillum hasn't said he's against it.  He wishes to end charter schools, essentially to curry favor with teacher unions.  The second aspect has me torn, because while I resent the fact that much GOP "education policy" is little more than a war against the teacher unions, the teacher unions don't have students' best interest at heart, either, and differentiated approaches to education are needed to address Florida's staggering social problems.

Have you contacted the Gillum campaign to ask about McKay Scholarships? I can certainly empathize with why that would be a program near to your heart.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »

So is it possible Democrats take the state House and are able to pass Medicaid expansion?

Senate is quite possibly - House is pretty unlikely
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 09:34:24 PM »

If practiced consistently this is a reasonable principle to maintain, judicial elections are reprehensible
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 03:28:47 PM »

Ouch.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies