turnout reports, voting problems, and last minute dirty tricks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:24:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  turnout reports, voting problems, and last minute dirty tricks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: turnout reports, voting problems, and last minute dirty tricks  (Read 8056 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 12:38:33 PM »

We're at a little over 300 in my division. We have 1,025 registered voters. This is insane turnout for my precinct at this time (and we even had a few minor problems).

You're in one of the more conservative precincts, right?

Yes but I have come to realize that I have a lot of younger people moving into my area. I don't think McCain will do as well as I originally thought. However, I still expect him to win or keep Obama to a very, very small win.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 12:39:33 PM »

Alright, going to vote now.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »

We're at a little over 300 in my division. We have 1,025 registered voters. This is insane turnout for my precinct at this time (and we even had a few minor problems).

You're in one of the more conservative precincts, right?

He is.  Mine are the 90%+.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »

Well, Keystone Phil says that his precinct is near a campus....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »

It's on a campus...in NE Philly. It's one of the most conservative colleges in the area (Catholic). Also, over 95% of the students commute to school so it's not what you're thinking.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »

Breaking...

Richardson shaves his beard.  Dirty trick!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »

It's on a campus...in NE Philly. It's one of the most conservative colleges in the area (Catholic). Also, over 95% of the students commute to school so it's not what you're thinking.

Still though, maybe JJ is being a hack and Chinatown WILL go heavily for Obama....so nothing that discouraging yet...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »

Still though, maybe JJ is being a hack and Chinatown WILL go heavily for Obama....so nothing that discouraging yet...

Eh, I don't know about that...

Also, I don't know what J.J. is talking about saying that Chinatown and Temple are the only areas with big precincts. Mine is one of the biggest in the city. The average size is about 600 voters; I'm over 1,000.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2008, 01:06:30 PM »

Breaking...

Richardson shaves his beard.  Dirty trick!
NOOOOOOOOOO

Also the anecdotes from Philly are a little worrying, but anecdotes from Virginia and other states are heartening.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »

I'm just re-reporting.  Chinatown is evidently the biggest precinct, with 4000 voters.  Temple, (Broad and Susquehanna) is the one with the large turnout.  Those are the ones being reported.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2008, 01:30:28 PM »

If it's like over 30% McCain in Philly, it could probably be classified as "conservative".  Smiley

Anyway, just got back.  No Obama or McCain people, but this is like an 85-15, 90-10 Obama place.  Decently crowded, had about a 10-15 minute wait.  Most signatures were filled in when I signed mine.

First time I vote Prez election here, so nothing to compare it to.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2008, 01:42:29 PM »

This marks four out of five elections (2002 the exception) where people reported really high turnout, excitement, and long lines and speculated what that would mean for the outcome.

I'm so over it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »

Approximately, a 25% black voter increase in my precinct, in terms of raw votes.  214 this year to 170 last year.  Virtually no ground game, however.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2008, 02:27:28 PM »

Approximately, a 25% black voter increase in my precinct, in terms of raw votes.  214 this year to 170 last year.  Virtually no ground game, however.

What was you're theory... >170 is good for obama or greater than >200?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »

Does it really matter?

214/170 is actually- a 26% increase...but sh**t, whose counting?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »

I'm just re-reporting.  Chinatown is evidently the biggest precinct, with 4000 voters.  Temple, (Broad and Susquehanna) is the one with the large turnout.  Those are the ones being reported.

Whoa...4,000? That's insane.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »

Paper ballots make more sense than having some stupid machines. Just use a number 2 pencil, and they can be optically counted.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2008, 03:25:40 PM »

170 were the Kerry numbers.  I was actually figuring anything greater than 200 was good for Obama.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »

Encouraging signs.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2008, 03:28:36 PM »

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) _ Virginians are voting at a record-setting pace.

The executive secretary of the State Board of Elections said at a briefing in Richmond that 30 percent to 40 percent of the state's more than 5 million registered voters had cast ballots Tuesday morning. Nancy Rodrigues said that typically the turnout is about one-half of that pace.

She estimated that more than 75 percent of Virginia's registered voters will have cast ballots by the time the polls close at 7 p.m.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »

About 430 people out of the 1,025 registered voters have turned out so far at my polling place. This is amazing for my precinct. That's 42% turnout two hours before the evening rush! This is even a bigger deal considering how my precinct has kind of pathetically low turnout numbers even in big races.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »

The executive secretary of the State Board of Elections said at a briefing in Richmond that 30 percent to 40 percent of the state's more than 5 million registered voters had cast ballots Tuesday morning. Nancy Rodrigues said that typically the turnout is about one-half of that pace.

She estimated that more than 75 percent of Virginia's registered voters will have cast ballots by the time the polls close at 7 p.m.

VA might not be.  We have no real idea who is turning out.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »

About 430 people out of the 1,025 registered voters have turned out so far at my polling place. This is amazing for my precinct. That's 42% turnout two hours before the evening rush! This is even a bigger deal considering how my precinct has kind of pathetically low turnout numbers even in big races.

Voting for the Negro, eh? Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »

Voting for the Negro, eh? Tongue

I guess that's one way to read it. I was really given a wake up call this year as to how my precinct isn't as conservative as I thought it was. That being said, McCain is still going to win here so the high turnout is probably both the younger, more liberal folks and the seniors.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »

I can believe it.

Great news.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies