OH: Voter suppression law likely to be on ballot in 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:00:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: Voter suppression law likely to be on ballot in 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OH: Voter suppression law likely to be on ballot in 2012  (Read 1198 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:48:04 PM »

Another bad law on the course of being repealed by the voters.  I haven't seen any polls, but with the anti-Kasich sentiment going on and Obama on top of the ballot next year, I can imagine them repealing this law by a pretty healthy margin.

If the voters defeat not one, but two of their governor's biggest legislative accomplishments- especially by heavy margins- to call this an embarrassment would be an understatement.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »

Why does Kasich keep epic failing by forcing through this crap?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »

I wouldn't get all excited yet guys until we have a poll on this. Ohio's not necessarily ideologically opposed to these types of reforms (unlike the union bill) and the result could be affected by framing.

By the way, could you have possibly used a more biased article? Geez. The wording in that thing was dripping with leading language.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:47:57 AM »

They're calling this disenfranchisement?!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:56 AM »

I wouldn't get optimistic, because the problem is I don't think people will fully understand why these laws exist and the full extent of their consequences. The union one was easy, that directly affected friends and family everywhere you looked. Voting restrictions are no less disgusting (arguably moreso), but are also much more difficult to see with your own eyes.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 04:23:54 AM »

But what purpose would voters see in this one? It's not explainable with "voter fraud" like in the photo ID debate, right?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 10:55:31 AM »

I don't understand the point of this law.  Cost-saving?  Unless some counties are proactively mailing absentee request forms and others are not, that seems like a bald-faced attempt to make voting from out-of-state (college students, military) ridiculously hard.  I have no fatal problem with the voter ID laws, but TJ in Cleve, FloridaRepublican, et al., why is this anything but obnoxious?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »

I don't understand the point of this law.  Cost-saving?  Unless some counties are proactively mailing absentee request forms and others are not, that seems like a bald-faced attempt to make voting from out-of-state (college students, military) ridiculously hard.  I have no fatal problem with the voter ID laws, but TJ in Cleve, FloridaRepublican, et al., why is this anything but obnoxious?

Here's a description of it.

Here's more information.

It is a Republican written law, no doubt about that. But, it's also not quite the brazen thing that first article calls it either.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 08:48:18 AM »

It's not re-imposition of the poll tax, but it is still unquestionably a blatant effort to reduce voter access for likely Democratic voters, using mythical claims of rampant voter fraud as an excuse. It's basically an issue of more open and accessable democracy vs. more GOP power.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies