Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:53:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who Will The Republicans Look to in 2012  (Read 22274 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:56:59 AM »

Palin will have less chance than Edwards did this year. Romney will have a tough time remaining relevant for 4 years. Jindal's skin color problem hasn't disappeared, it simply became less than what the Democrats in Louisiana had.

Someone elected in 2004 or 2006 would be perfect for someone fresh enough, but neither Mitch Daniels or Butch Otter ain't a stellar candidate and Palin is already wasted, and that's all they got for Governors. Corker ain't going anywhere either. With all the pickups in 2004 you'd think there'd be a good candidate, but let's look:

Martinez - Ineligible, the end. Not that he would've been a candidate anyway assuming he even survives 2010.
Vitter - Normally he would be a contender. But he blew it.
Coburn - Don't make me laugh....
Isaakson - Good for a state like Georgia, but not nationwide. Boring, uninteresting policy wonk.
DeMint - He might run, but he's way too far right. He could only win in the very unlikely scenario Obama ends up as popular as Bush is now, he runs again, and survives the primary.
Burr - Possible dark horse, but what's notable about this guy? His last name is also likely a liability.
Thune - This guy might be it. Far right, but he's not as blatant about it as DeMint or Coburn. He'd require Obama to be fairly unpopular to win, but he could take the primary.

If I had to bet on it, I'd bet on Thune, but there's no way I'd bet anymore than $10 right now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »

Why do people think Jindal is going to run in 2012?  He'll only be 41 years old, and have the one term as governor.  Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for him to wait until 2016 or later?  Yes, yes, I know Obama ran in 2008 with just 4 years worth of experience in the Senate, but that was an unusual case, and Obama didn't have to give up his Senate seat to do it.

In Jindal's case, he'd probably have to give up on reelection if he wants to run for president, since the Louisiana governors' race is in Nov. 2011, while the 2012 presidential primaries will begin in Jan. 2012.  It would seem to be kind of impractical to be campaigning in Louisiana for governor while simultaneously campaigning in Iowa for president.

Ah yes. I didn't take that into account as well. Yeah, forget Jindal 2012.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »

The truncated Detroit skyline.

It is rather pathetic for a metro area of 4 million people or whatever it is. Detroit never got a white collar economy going thanks to Henry Ford, but that is another story. Time to move on to your 354th screen name BRTD, or whatever the number is. This particular dog of yours won't hunt!

You are not between the ages of 21 and 33. You won't get it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies