is there such a thing as "The office of the president elect"??!!! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 11:56:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  is there such a thing as "The office of the president elect"??!!! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is there such a thing as "The office of the president elect"??!!!  (Read 5366 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 07, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »

man, that cardboard sign in front of the podium looked cheap.  Why would Obama do something like that?

And...is there such an office?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »

Officially, no.  But there's no such thing as the Western White House either, and that didn't stop Bush with having that on his backdrop in Crawford.

ok, but at least do it with something other than an oversized cardboard sign taped to the front of a podium.

style is still important as Obama attempts to bring substance into the WhiteHouse
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 04:07:53 PM »

I'd rather he had placed the Chicago Bears 'c' on the front of the podium...or a kid's crayon drawing of election night.  Those would have been funny and/or uplifting.

He had a great day yesterday - he doesn't need to confuse people with "the office of the president elect" and the impression that he is leading a shadow government
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »

So Obama has the egotism to have a cheap cardboard sign?

Obama's approval rating is around 70% in my estimate.  if he wants to keep it that way and gain the trust of those who didn't vote for him, he needs to give every impression he honors the current structure of government.

He'd been better off with "President-Elect Barack Obama" on the podium than coming up with an official sounding name to an office than doesn't exist.

Obviously, not a major issue...I'm just saying he should knock off the creepy stuff.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 04:41:07 PM »

Obama's approval rating is around 70% in my estimate.  if he wants to keep it that way ...he needs to give every impression he honors the current structure of government.

Obviously, not a major issue...I'm just saying he should knock off the creepy stuff.

I don't think most Americans 'honor the current structure of government'.  I think a bare majority would be pleased if Bush would vacate early, voluntarily or not.

yeah, they want to remove the current occupant, but they also want to keep the structure.

I agree Obama needs to be conducting around the clock meetings and hold press conferences, but this official sounding "office" thingy is just a bit too overbearing

he should wrap himself as the choice of "The People", not as some self-created office
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »

Actually, there is such an office.  It's in the Old Executive Office Building adjacent to the White House in Washington, D.C.

interesting...do you have details?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 01:38:24 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/11/25/despite-bells-whistles-office-president-elect-holds-authority/

looks like this thread spawned a foxnews report Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies