Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to serve gay couple (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:38:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to serve gay couple (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Justice Dept. sides with baker who refused to serve gay couple  (Read 7494 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« on: September 08, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »

It's nice to see Trump stand up for an issue I agree with him on. While we need additional federal legislation for LGBT employment and housing protection, when it comes to a service directly related to a wedding, religious freedom must be protected. Kasich said in the primary debates (paraphrasing): "If someone doesn't want to photograph your wedding, find another photographer. Don't go to Court." The same principle applies to wedding cakes.

No, what he actually said was, "if you're in the business of conducting commerce, conduct commerce," and to say a prayer for them on their way out if you don't agree with their lifestyle.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:00:12 AM »

As someone whose parents are devout Christians and bakery owners, we try to treat all customers with the utmost respect, and would never refuse service based on a couple's profile.

My parents and I recognize that refusing service would do nothing but make a political statement, show disregard for humanity, and display moral superiority by casting the first stone.

One can oppose same sex marriage by refusing to attend their wedding, not by flaunting the almighty attitude of "I refuse to make a cake, which I've been making for 30 years in the name of Christ"

Maybe we're just weird Christians.
No, you sound like good Christians, not weird Christians.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »

This is why Evangelicals largely voted for Trump.  Not because the like him but because he doesn't think that they are the equivalent of the KKK.

No one is saying "they are equivalent to the KKK."
The KKK is pure hate. The Christian religion (all faiths) have some flaws, but I do believe that they at least try to preach some basic standards of decency, morals and love.

It is becoming increasingly popular on the left to say that Christianity is all about hate of non-Christians.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 11:03:19 AM »

We need to pick up the ivory trade.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 01:46:37 PM »

I am tempted to believe that evangelical Christians are gullible, and I associate gullibility with a proclivity to fall for demagogues. EWTN doesn't push a wealth cult; for good reason there are no Episcopal televangelists.
Well, you kind of have to believe in God to evangelize.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »

Your disagreement with the Court's legal reasoning on the Constitutional issues in Obergfell is an issue for a separate thread. You asked how church teachings against homosexuality represent a danger to society. The harm to society occurs when those groups demand that their religious beliefs and prejudices be codified into law to be imposed on all. You tried to analogize this bigotry to other groups who do not behave that way.

The bakers are trying to impose their views on anyone, they just want to be left alone.

While, as a Christian, I sympathize with your concerns, this argument is like saying that segregationists just wanted to be left alone.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 11:51:27 AM »

If a person's religious belief that gay sex is a sin is bigotry, is that also true for religious beliefs that drinking alcohol is bigotry?

Social liberalism is getting more and more extreme.

Well, if gay marriages are anything like straight marriages, we should be getting them all married as quickly as possible to stop their sinning. Smiley
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »

LOL.
One is asking for a cake for love, the other for hate.
Are you that daft ?
Some people choose a gay lifestyle to troll or to rebel against their parents.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »

Don't be ridiculous. There was no such thing as racism until Trump started running for President.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies