LA 2019 Gov Race: Gov John Bel Edwards wins a 2nd term (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:45:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LA 2019 Gov Race: Gov John Bel Edwards wins a 2nd term (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 0

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: LA 2019 Gov Race: Gov John Bel Edwards wins a 2nd term  (Read 45545 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« on: September 17, 2019, 11:58:37 AM »

I think Edwards will get pretty close to 50% in either direction, so I'm not sure whether or not it will go to a run-off. If it does, Edwards probably wins by 4-6%.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 12:37:23 PM »

Lol, someone is desperate:

Yeah, Republicans totally run on #KitchenTableIssues
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 02:23:05 PM »

Edwards 47%
Rispone 24%
Abraham 19%

Edwards 51.5%
Rispone 48.5%
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »

Modifying my prediction slightly:

Edwards 48%
Rispone 25%
Abraham 21%

Sticking with a 3-point win for Edwards in the run-off, though I'll likely modify that depending on the results tonight (if there is a run-off.)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 07:43:16 PM »

Well, we may not have gotten overreactions to turnout reports, but starting in 20 minutes, we'll get to move on to plenty of "OMG! (Candidate) is at (percentage) in (parish) (with less than 10% in)! (Candidate) is (guaranteed to win/finished)!"
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »

One more thing (in addition to more results and numbers from Baton Rouge/New Orleans) we'll need to know before making any conclusions is whether the early vote is more or less favorable for Edwards.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 08:46:08 PM »

JBE definitely does seem to be improving his numbers in parishes that are starting to count their ED vote. A big factor will be how much the numbers change.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 08:58:27 PM »

Finally some votes from Caddo... but only about 1000, and they're not EV.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 09:12:53 PM »

Based on what we have to far, I think Edwards is going to end up pretty close to 50% in either direction, as I expected. We might not know for sure tonight. Either way, it's looking very bad for Abraham, since he was several points ahead of Rispone, but he's fallen a couple points behind now.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 09:47:32 PM »

Looks like this will go to a run-off, but let's see what the final percentage is before declaring Rispone Governor-elect. While he'll obviously win the vast majority of Abraham's voters, I don't think he'll win 100% (even a small amount staying home could make a difference), and while Trump rallies could help Rispone, they're not going to get him an extra 5% of the vote.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 10:00:35 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2019, 10:04:26 PM by Xing »

There's always a talking point (muh Kavanaugh, muh impeachment, etc.) Republicans can turn to to explain Republicans voting Republican even when the Democrat running is pro-life and decidedly to the right of most national Democrats (Republicans assure us that if only Democrats were "moderate" or "pro-life" they'd be winning in landslides.) The more logical explanation is that Republicans only care about the magic (R) and Trump. Not even abortion really matters; Edwards is pro-life.

It's also clearly not the case that "both sides do it." If that were true, Scott, Baker, and Hogan would have either lost or only won by narrow margins. Clearly Democrats are much more willing to give "moderate" Republicans a chance, even though the national Republican Party is anything but moderate.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 10:26:17 PM »

I think people are jumping the gun here. 2015 saw the GOP carry 57% of the vote and JBE still carried out a sizable win.

Let's be real. The only reason JBE is Governor of Louisiana is because of David Vitter. Had he faced Agnelle he would have lost.

Nobodies disagreeing with you there. Same reason why Hogan is governor of Maryland and Dems picked up Kansas. Once you win though you have a record to run on.

But why is it that Hogan won by 11% last year, in a state that is just as heavily Democratic as Louisiana is Republican, while Edwards might lose?

Because despite popular belief, the Republican base is far more partisan and inflexible than the Democratic base.

This. Not sure why this is so hard for people to wrap their heads around. Both sides are not always equally bad.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 11:00:34 PM »

Edwards probably ends the night at 47%. I don't think he can be totally counted out, but clearly the "Democrats would win if they were only more 'moderate'" talking point took another big hit tonight. I'd like to see some Edwards/Rispone polls, so I'll leave this as a Toss-Up for now, but this night definitely didn't go the way Edwards planned.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 11:08:53 PM »

Edwards probably ends the night at 47%. I don't think he can be totally counted out, but clearly the "Democrats would win if they were only more 'moderate'" talking point took another big hit tonight. I'd like to see some Edwards/Rispone polls, so I'll leave this as a Toss-Up for now, but this night definitely didn't go the way Edwards planned.

At this point, a Republican sweep of all three gubernatorial races is looking like a strong possibility.

It is definitely a strong possibility. At this point, Louisiana is the only race I can see Democrats winning, and obviously it's looking worse for Democrats now than it did before. KY has always been Safe R (I momentarily rated it Likely R, but it's clear that I shouldn't have changed it,) and I think it's safe to call MS Safe R as well, though I could see Hood coming somewhat close.

Here's an interesting question: When's the last time a governor with very strongly positive approval ratings lost re-election?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 11:55:48 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2019, 12:04:50 AM by Xing »

Of course - moderate Democrats can lose in conservative Louisiana. But that doesn't mean that "bold progressive" would have done better. On the contrary: most of Democratic candidates in downballot statewide races were more liberal, then JBE. Which percentage they got? Together - between 32 and 35% in all races (numbers very similar to Black percentage in the state, meaning that voting was, probably, very polarized by race, except governor race). Democrats absolutely cratered in Acadiana and around it (even conservative-leaning candidates were beaten badly), but former conservative Democrat, running for state House this time as Republican, beat an opponent, whom he lost as Democrat, rather decisively (letter after name was different). With rare exceptions (university cities) - all non-metropolian majority white southern areas became a "scorched Earth" zone for Democratic candidates. Any candidates: socially extremely conservative Milkovich lost to Republican too. Suburbs - another matter, but in Louisiana they are still relatively conservative and not that big (and, usually,  can't outvote almost 90% Republican rural areas).

Republicans gained considerably in state legislature, Only 2 white Democratic state Senators remain (Luneau and Smith, who was unopposed), the same tendency - in House. "Black party" and "White party" essentially..

I'm not saying that a progressive Democrat would have won, simply that it really doesn't make much difference in very red states, and that being "moderate" is not a silver bullet.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »

Of course - moderate Democrats can lose in conservative Louisiana. But that doesn't mean that "bold progressive" would have done better. On the contrary: most of Democratic candidates in downballot statewide races were more liberal, then JBE. Which percentage they got? Together - between 32 and 35% in all races (numbers very similar to Black percentage in the state, meaning that voting was, probably, very polarized by race, except governor race). Democrats absolutely cratered in Acadiana and around it (even conservative-leaning candidates were beaten badly), but former conservative Democrat, running for state House this time as Republican, beat an opponent, whom he lost as Democrat, rather decisively (letter after name was different). With rare exceptions (university cities) - all non-metropolian majority white southern areas became a "scorched Earth" zone for Democratic candidates. Any candidates: socially extremely conservative Milkovich lost to Republican too. Suburbs - another matter, but in Louisiana they are still relatively conservative and not that big (and, usually,  can't outvote almost 90% Republican rural areas).

Republicans gained considerably in state legislature, Only 2 white Democratic state Senators remain (Luneau and Smith, who was unopposed), the same tendency - in House. "Black party" and "White party" essentially..

I'm not saying that a progressive Democrat would have won, simply that it really doesn't make much difference in very red states, and that being "moderate" is not a silver bullet.
progressives would have lost to David Vitter

That's speculation, but even if it were true, voters are even more polarized in 2019 than they were in 2015.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 01:10:32 PM »

Isn't today expected to be a strong day for Democrats?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 12:26:03 PM »

I'm still going to be cautious, since EV isn't always a great indicator in most states (as we've seen before.) I'll still call this a Toss-Up, though I might say Edwards is very narrowly favored instead of Rispone. I'll make a final prediction later.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2019, 01:32:46 PM by Xing »

So actually, I guess we should be saying...

No rain in NOLA, Rispone is finished.

Anyway, I don't see the NYT results page up yet, but here's the SoS page: https://voterportal.sos.la.gov/static/2019-11-16/resultsRace/Statewide
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies