Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:19:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.  (Read 5436 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: October 05, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »

High schoolers do not have strong opinions about economics or foreign policy (as opposed to social policy like abortion or gay marriage) and are therefore very willing to listen to someone they trust who does, like me. When politics is discussed in my clique, it usually comes down to me saying something and everyone agreeing. I am a rather persuasive person in real life (I recall a rather heated argument about Libya with my English teacher, where I was actually against intervention and she was for it, where I managed to convince the entire class that Gaddafi was preferable to the rebels, and f**k the mainstream media).

So you think you convinced a bunch of disinterested adolescents.

And a busy English teacher moved on from your protracted political speech.

If spending the rest of the period (30 minutes) discussing it and then moving on the next day (although the subject did periodically recur), then she certainly did, and if I only imagined people in the class repeating my talking points, then it was just a figment of my imagination.

You know Vosem sometimes when adults just keep quiet and let you finish saying what you are saying and then move on it is not because you convinced them.

Sometimes that is the case, but it was clearly not the case this time.

I generally don't initiate political conversations at work.  And if someone else engages me I never tell them my true feelings until I've ascertained theirs and I have some level of comfort they aren't going to blab my opinion all over the place.  Even then most of stuff I say on this forum stays in my head.  Most of the time when the extremists engage me in screwball conversations at work I just furrow my brow and say things like "that's very interesting" and "I really need to look into that."  They walk away thinking they converted me to a Fox Noise acolyte and I can get on with my day.

I'm pretty sure most of the people at my work vote.  Only about three of them have come out and had ridiculous off the wall political conversations with me that made zero factual sense.  Two of the conversations were particularly disappointing.  One person I like a lot.  I really enjoy spending time with them.  Another one I have the utmost respect for as far as work.  They are awesome.  They probably all think I agree with them since I get along with them.  Anyway it keeps the peace and lets me be around people I can learn a lot from.

OK...
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »

There are extreme idiots on both sides. This isn't news.

there are more than two sides my man!

This is America. There are two (2) sides.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:32:24 PM »

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands; one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice. Said that every school day since August of 2002. Except when I have a doctor's appointment or some s**t and come in late.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies