How to resolve the tie? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:11:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  How to resolve the tie? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to resolve the tie?  (Read 999 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

« on: November 21, 2016, 02:18:03 AM »
« edited: November 21, 2016, 02:20:20 AM by Siren »

So here's what the Federal Electoral Act says about tied runoffs.  As you can see, it starts out by saying that the two candidates can agree to serve half terms.  Then in clause four it says "If a runoff for a Presidential election results in a tie, the House of Representatives may choose of the two candidates to be President."  To me, "may" suggests that the House can choose not to do that and let the half terms scenario play out, but it's definitely pretty vague.  Personally, I've never liked the idea of any Congress choosing who wins because it just ends up being a partisan vote (like if it happened in a 269 or less US pres. election).  I can see reasons why the half terms idea might not be ideal too though.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what everyone thinks!  Do you think the House should decide or do you prefer the half terms scenario?  Bonus points if you base it in the constitution or the electoral act.  Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:43:06 PM »

I'd prefer that this election go to the House. Because the House is still a voting body that is responsible to the wishes of the folks it serves. While a deal made in a smoke filled room to "share the power" by the two candidates reeks of oligarchy.

It wouldn't really be a deal made in a smoke filled room though.  The electoral act just says that they each serve half a term and can decide which one goes first.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies