Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:50:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 224808 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2015, 10:06:29 PM »

With all due respect, Bushie, you're just making excuses with regards to Uber and fast-food work. You know you need income - you know that so well that you would have taken that crappy sales job if the forum had not decided to dissuade you from it, because, in your words "I need income".

I see little need to reiterate every counter the forum has already made to your excuses, I simply want you to think about the hole you are trapping yourself in. You literally need to take ANY legitimate job at this point - I don't care if it's legitimate sales, or Uber, or Walmart, or McDonalds, but you need to stop making stupid excuses, realize the very dire situation you're in, and apply to practically everything. Let's face it - you finding a CADD job could take months or years - so don't just apply to one or two things, thinking... "Well, well, I'll do this to get the forum off my back....", as you will be in an extremely bad situation if you don't get a job between now and the end of may, and I don't think you truly realize it. Essentially, just stop making excuses and apply to everything.

--------------

Anyways, I don't think I've seen a mention of what you've eaten today. go.

He napped all day, so there's no way he walked.  I'm gonna guess he went for some Braum's upon awakening from his Snorlaxian state.

EDIT: I'm going to keep my prediction there despite Bushie's post.  Color me shocked.

I slept until 1500, but I still had time about 1630 to get out for a walk.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2015, 10:07:03 PM »

I'd much rather the driver in my uber be playing Christmas music than try to make awkward small talk with me, as is usually the case.

Now that I think of it... the guy who unironically plays Christmas music in the middle of March would be the most popular driver among Uber circles and a great story for any drunken pickup to tell all his friends about.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »

If you can prove in your cover letter and interview that you know as much about CAD as someone with 2 years experience, you'll be able to land the job. However,  we all know you probably know less about CAD than the average person with 5 months experience

Bushie probably knows less about CAD than the average student in Russ Powers' current class. He basically phoned it in there, got one job he got fired from for slacking and putting no effort, and in his last job did barely any work. And he never practices at home. If you gave me a free week, some CAD software and a textbook/how-to guide, I could probably be at least equal to Bushie in CAD skills at the end of that week.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2015, 10:17:19 PM »

Yea, I'll definitely take the Christmas music from Bushie over the talk that starts with, "Have you been saved?" or the infinitely more inane, "Have you heard the good news?".
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »

King,

J-Mann just responded to my inquiry and he says it is a legitimate company and a lower-end job.  The job ad offers a wide pay range.  I'm, of course, expecting the lower end of the pay range, which is $10 an hour (minimum wage here is still $7.25).  After your concerns, I was pleased to read his review.  I've asked him to post it here, as well, so you could be put even more at ease.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2015, 10:53:27 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2015, 10:55:25 PM by J-Mann »

Legitimate company.

Lower-end job (nothing wrong with that) that's more likely to start at the low end of the wage range they show, so if you get an interview, I wouldn't be expecting the high end right out of the gate.

One of the positions seems geared toward cleaning vehicles on car lots, which may not be too bad ... not sure if you'd go car-to-car or drive cars into a garage to detail them. Physically, I think that would be more manageable than any position that requires you to climb ladders.

I won't discourage you from looking at a position that requires you to do some good, old-fashioned physical labor, but you'll probably want to be open about your health in the interview so the expectation of how much is required is clear.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2015, 10:57:01 PM »

Yea, I'll definitely take the Christmas music from Bushie over the talk that starts with, "Have you been saved?" or the infinitely more inane, "Have you heard the good news?".

Ugh, that reminds me one time, when I was carpooling with a friend, his Dad started interrogating me about the 10 Commandments and telling me I'm a sinner and all that stuff. 

When it comes to small talk, why can't people just talk about sports and the weather?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2015, 11:02:52 PM »

RFayette, when it comes to Christians, you've got a wide range of attitudes toward trying to convert people. You've got people who rarely try due to laziness or lack of skill (I'm in this category), people that make conversion a core mission of their life, and everything in between.

If you don't want to hear it, either politely ask them to talk about something else, or just mutter "ok" or similar until they get bored and move on.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2015, 11:53:12 PM »

$10 makes sense.

I was just assuming you saw a fast cash $3000/week washing cars ad, as per usual.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2015, 11:58:35 PM »

$10 makes sense.

I was just assuming you saw a fast cash $3000/week washing cars ad, as per usual.

Oh heavens no.  I would have steered clear of that one by a hundred miles.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2015, 11:59:43 PM »

$10 makes sense.

Nah, it's nothing like that. Aside from some of the physical concerns, I think a job where Jeff can master a repetitive task and do some manual labor would be refreshing for him ... or, at the very least, something at which he could succeed.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2015, 12:02:05 AM »

$10 makes sense.

Nah, it's nothing like that. Aside from some of the physical concerns, I think a job where Jeff can master a repetitive task and do some manual labor would be refreshing for him ... or, at the very least, something at which he could succeed.

A labor job like this might help with my mobility and endurance.  Since I would be moving the entire shift, most likely, it might also burn a few extra calories.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2015, 12:47:22 AM »

I've been doing a flurry of job searching for the past hour.  I'm finding some good ones, too.  I've got a list of three more recruiters that I'm going to call first thing in the morning.  I'm trying to get as many hands on deck helping me look for a job.  In my opinion, I can't have too many eyes and ears looking and listening.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2015, 12:59:24 AM »

I don't want to do fast food, because I don't think I could lift the grease pans without spilling grease all over the floor.

...wat
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2015, 01:05:51 AM »

Yeah, I noticed that, too, IceSpear.

What sorts of jobs are you planning on looking for when you get back to OKC?

Other than CAD, I don't really know, yet.  I'll diversify my applications for sure, but I'm not exactly sure, yet.  I imagine I'll put in some retail applications, maybe some grocery store applications.  I don't want to do fast food, because I don't think I could lift the grease pans without spilling grease all over the floor.  Other places, too, I'm sure.

Is that your sole justification for not doing fast food? It's not like lifting grease pans constitutes 78 percent of the job ... and if you can't do it, you can't do it. I'm sure McDonald's doesn't force everyone to "lift the grease pans or take a hike." Plenty of petite women work in fast food.

Not that such a job would be good for your diet ... but I'll tell you one thing: it's accessible short-term income and a respectable-enough job in the meantime.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2015, 01:19:19 AM »

Yeah, I noticed that, too, IceSpear.

What sorts of jobs are you planning on looking for when you get back to OKC?

Other than CAD, I don't really know, yet.  I'll diversify my applications for sure, but I'm not exactly sure, yet.  I imagine I'll put in some retail applications, maybe some grocery store applications.  I don't want to do fast food, because I don't think I could lift the grease pans without spilling grease all over the floor.  Other places, too, I'm sure.

Is that your sole justification for not doing fast food? It's not like lifting grease pans constitutes 78 percent of the job ... and if you can't do it, you can't do it. I'm sure McDonald's doesn't force everyone to "lift the grease pans or take a hike." Plenty of petite women work in fast food.

Not that such a job would be good for your diet ... but I'll tell you one thing: it's accessible short-term income and a respectable-enough job in the meantime.

It's such a bizarre and oddly detailed concern. I bet Bushie must have had a bad experience with lifting grease pans in the past, because seriously, who randomly thinks that?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2015, 01:48:07 AM »

"I don't think I could see myself working in retail.  I might prick my finger on a security sensor pin."
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2015, 01:50:42 AM »

"I don't think I could see myself working in retail.  I might prick my finger on a security sensor pin."
Congratulations. You've just given Bushie his next excuse.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2015, 02:56:56 AM »

It's officially 0156 CST on Friday 13th, 2015.  Ungodly associations with "bad luck" and other pagan beliefs aside, more importantly... its the WEEKEND.

Time to put aside any silly diets for three days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrN5cZDPvpY
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2015, 06:53:16 AM »

He is physically unable to walk for more than 15 minutes at a time, but is applying for a job where he has to wash an endless sea of cars at a dealership? This is going nowhere.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2015, 09:04:25 AM »

He is physically unable to walk for more than 15 minutes at a time, but is applying for a job where he has to wash an endless sea of cars at a dealership? This is going nowhere.

Maybe not. The point is, it's a legitimate position that isn't a call center, a sales job that promises a fast management track, or a scam. He's opening himself up to positions that he looked down on just a few weeks ago. Capability or not, that's some sort of progress.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2015, 09:49:42 AM »

Washing cars would be good for him, even if he can't lift the grease pan over the Porsche without spilling grease all over it.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »

I suppose Bushie can wear his shirt and tie to the dealership.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2015, 10:09:46 AM »

BTW, for those wondering about the grease pan excuse, I believe many seasons ago, Bushie mentioned in passing he was fired from KFC in high school for spilling grease
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2015, 10:10:28 AM »

Nah, Grumps is right, I've been napping for most of the day. 

Do you have any idea how repulsive that is given your current status and all that your family is doing for you?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies