Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 01:22:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does the forum accept anti-evangelical sentiments more than the same sentiments about other religions?
Yes, and this is acceptabe

Yes, and this is unacceptable

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?  (Read 8988 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 07, 2019, 03:08:40 AM »
« edited: January 07, 2019, 03:12:00 AM by Badger »

The Christians are the second most disrespected group in America today after our brave police people.
Can anyone name a group that is more disrespected than atheists?

I have never in my life suffered disrespect for being an atheist, by anyone, be they religious or non-religious. Granted, many would not vote for me if I ran for office, but on a personal level, I think most take in stride that many are skeptical that God exists.  Granted, I don't go around bashing folks of faith. I assiduously avoid doing that in fact, and always have. That might be part of the reason that I have never had a problem.

I ran for office in Hudson, and lost alas. I wonder how many on this forum who are folks of faith would not have voted for me simply because I am an atheist. I suspect the answer would be close to none.

You ran for City Council in an upper-middle-class to Rich highly educated Suburban town. Try running for congress anywhere outside such an area and see how well your atheism plays.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 03:17:01 AM »

The major distinction here is that evangelist, at least to the degree they are involved in politics, and this is a political discussion site after all, specifically seek to impose explicit evangical religious Doctrine as public policy. Jews do not run for office in order to impose talmudic law in the public sphere, and, sorry fuzzy, Muslims in this country do not seek to impose Sharia law and the public sphere when they run for office either, regardless of what cretin  drafted website projecting its own desire to impose Conservative Christian law in this country might say.

This is a practice fairly unique to fundamentalist Christians, including Conservative Catholics, fwiw. I'm sorry, but if fundamentalists seek to the essentially the only religion seeking to impose its specific scriptural Holdings into public policy, it's going to invite legitimate criticism of said views.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 08:47:12 PM »

Attacking religious groups is perfectly fine, not bigoted and not comparable to bashing based on race, gender or sexual orientation. That's because religion is a chosen trait that one decides for themselves, unlike the other traits. Its more comparable to bashing and attacking members of a political party.

Um, no?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »

It's pretty amazing that 37% of folks here think such a double standard is acceptable.

Is this OK?

If it is OK, would it be OK if I looked up Quranic Scripture and made similar parodies?  I don't intend to, but would it be OK?

Leaving out the questionable inclusion of a young kid like Baron, does The Holy Hand Grenade scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail offend you? Should it offend Catholics?

Here's a hint. Yes, is right out!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 11:30:47 PM »

Attacking religious groups is perfectly fine, not bigoted and not comparable to bashing based on race, gender or sexual orientation. That's because religion is a chosen trait that one decides for themselves, unlike the other traits. Its more comparable to bashing and attacking members of a political party.

Um, no?

Um, yes? One can not change their race or sexual orientation. One can change their religion and political party.

So unless someone makes that conscious effort to change their religion to one you don't disapprove of, it's okay to disparage their faith. Got it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »

I see plenty of people ragging on Islam, Catholicism and Mormonism on this site.

Mormonism?

I've seen the first two but not Mormonism. People are surprisingly respectful of it, given some of the church's social stances. Ir maybe I'm just hanging out on the wrong boards Tongue

I think that was more of a 2012 thing due to Dem hacks wanting to attack Romney over it.

This. There was quite a lot of it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 11:34:21 PM »

All religions deserve criticism, though.

You'll cut your Fedora on that edge.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies