US House Redistricting: Iowa (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:10:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Iowa (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Iowa  (Read 26894 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: August 20, 2021, 11:18:05 PM »

It really seems like the best map for Iowa is one that has a central district centred around Des Moines, a large Western district, and a district for Northeast Iowa and Southeast Iowa. Having four separate quadrant districts may look nice, but I think it disregards communities of interest. I was looking at some of Wasserman's maps, but I saw one in the comments that looked quite ideal:

I don't know what the population deviations are, but I think it's the most ideal map for the state so long as deviations are reasonable.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 12:34:32 PM »

So a minimal-change map that makes all the COIs a bit worse but keeps the partisan balance basically intact. Oh well. The first map was clearly better, but as long as the GOP doesn't get a blatant gerrymander through I guess this will do.

Agreed. It's not the ideal map, but it is acceptable. It can't be helped that the state has been trending rightward quickly. What has helped somewhat is that Republicans have a vote sink in the western part of the state like many other states in the plains (in a strictly political sense, IA-04 is quite similar to KS-01 and NE-03).

This map does have a resemblance to a certain symbol...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies