$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:18:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 79
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 112927 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: November 29, 2017, 05:47:47 PM »

I'm being factual

I dislike the deficit side of the bill but to claim it raises taxes on the middle class is insanity

The cut for the middle class is much smaller than the cut for the rich, and the Poor may actually see a tax increase.

It's mathematical tautology that the rich will get a greater raw amount of income gains

A 1% cut for 200,000 is bigger than1% cut for 50,000
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #776 on: November 29, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »

Do not let Marty confuse you: When the Senate votes to bring this bill to debate today, they are voting for a plan that is primarily for the rich and powerful, that will raise the deficit by $1.4 Trillion, and that will kill 13 million people via repealing the individual mandate.

I don't think all those 13 million people are going to die.

Yeah. Just let the GOP pass all this horribly unpopular shot and maybe all the poor people who voted for them in 2016 will realize how dumb a decision that was. People have to cone to that realization on their own. Not by Chuck and Nancy telling them. Give the GOP a rope to hang themselves and I'm sure they will

West Virginians will no doubt blame Obama when they lose their Obamacare.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #777 on: November 29, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »

Daines just voted AYE on MTP. What a cuck.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #778 on: November 29, 2017, 05:55:09 PM »

Motion to Proceed passes 52-48. No defections.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #779 on: November 29, 2017, 05:56:49 PM »

It's gonna be fun trying to undo this in 4 years.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #780 on: November 29, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »

They're coming for Social security and Medicare next:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #781 on: November 29, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2017, 06:07:12 PM by superbudgie1582 »

They're coming for Social security and Medicare next:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I hope they record that for future tv ads.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #782 on: November 29, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »

If they want to do that under Reconcillation, under the rules of the Senate it would have to wait until Fiscal 2019, which starts a month before the midterms.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #783 on: November 29, 2017, 06:09:33 PM »

If they want to do that under Reconcillation, under the rules of the Senate it would have to wait until Fiscal 2019, which starts a month before the midterms.

They seem to be on some kind of hubris... like they can get away with anything
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #784 on: November 29, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »

Did anyone else notice that all the pundits who cried about how Obama and the Democrats' bills were so mean, partisan, and divisive in 2009-2010 have all vanished without a trace?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #785 on: November 29, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2017, 06:22:44 PM by IceSpear »

Probably because they HAVE been getting away with anything. Thanks to American voters.

Government shutdowns
Unprecedented obstruction
Pedophilia
Sexual assault/pussy grabbing
This monstrosity of a bill
Divorcing themselves from facts and reality
Fanning the flames of racial resentment
Staging a coup against Obama's SCOTUS pick

The list goes on.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #786 on: November 29, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »

Did anyone else notice that all the pundits who cried about how Obama and the Democrats' bills were so mean, partisan, and divisive in 2009-2010 have all vanished without a trace?

Obamacare received very favorable press from the press

Between May of 2009 to April of 2010, 88.5% of news articles and WH corespondent tweets were favorable of the bill

It's part of the reason Obamacare didn't cost Dems any seats
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #787 on: November 29, 2017, 06:18:33 PM »

I'm being factual

I dislike the deficit side of the bill but to claim it raises taxes on the middle class is insanity

You literally posted the one chart out of, like, five that didn't show people paying more, when the other charts were FULL of red dots for representative households paying more.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #788 on: November 29, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »

Obamacare received very favorable press from the press

Between May of 2009 to April of 2010, 88.5% of news articles and WH corespondent tweets were favorable of the bill

It's part of the reason Obamacare didn't cost Dems any seats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2010
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #789 on: November 29, 2017, 06:24:51 PM »

Post-MTP: Collins and Daines move from Lean Opposed to Toss-Up.

To Summarize the view of the Senate:

Solidly Opposed: All 48 Dems

Likely Opposed: N/A

Lean Opposed: N/A

Toss-Up:
Lankford - He's said he'll vote against it "if it increases the deficit too much" - but didn't define what too much meant.  He's also called for a trigger provision that would raise tax rates in times of insufficent economic growth, and has explicitly refused to endorse the bill as written, although he has yet to explicitly oppose the bill and is generally a reliable vote for leadership.

Corker - Voted Yes in committee, but has been clear that his support on final passage will depend on the inclusion of a trigger provision in the bill. It is unclear if such a provision will be in the final version of the bill.

Collins - Appeared to indicate on 11/19 CNN interview that her support would depend on passage of Alexander-Murray and a separate bill she wrote with Senator Nelson, and keeping the top rate at 39.6%, instead of lowering it to 38.5%. She has, however, recently been given assurances that Trump supports both bills, and voted Yes on the Motion to Proceed.

Daines - Bloomberg and Fox Business have stated that a Daines staff member says he is a no, while CNN and the Washington Post have stated that Daines has raised concerns about certain corporate provisions in the bill without explicitly stating he has threatened to vote no. He surprisingly voted Yes on the Motion to Proceed, and some of his concerns have been addressed, but his previous statements of opposition have not been explicitly revoked and thus MAY still be valid.

Lean Support:
Flake - Might want to show opposition to Trump, and has raised real doubts about the eventual affect of the bill, but also probably supports the intent of this bill, and he did vote for all versions of ObamaCare Repeal.

Kennedy - Has threatened to vote against the bill if McConnell decides to include a Trigger provision, which McConnell may do to please Lankford and Corker.

Likely Support:
McCain - Voted against Skinny Repeal and opposed Graham-Cassidy, but he is a strong supporter of the tax cut portions of this bill, and his opposition to repeal was based more on the process of passage rather than the substance of the bill. I doubt mandate repeal alone would be a dealbreaker to him. But it's not impossible.

Young - Apparently has been raising deficit-related concerns about the bill, but I highly doubt he actually has a backbone.

Paul - Despite his previous stance against the framework, Paul "supports the bill as it stands right now", as reported by Bloomberg News. Still keep an eye on him, as the bill may be amended on the senate floor and it's not impossible that it could be amended in such a way that it changes his stance.

Safe Support: Other 43 GOP Senators

Overall: 48 AGAINST, 48 SUPPORT, 4 TOSS-UP
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #790 on: November 29, 2017, 06:27:03 PM »

Probably because they HAVE been getting away with anything. Thanks to American voters.

Government shutdowns
Pedophilia

The list goes on.

It goes back farther than that. The Gingrich Congress and the Bush administration were reckless and corrupt as well
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #791 on: November 29, 2017, 06:29:24 PM »

Government shutdowns
Pedophilia

The list goes on.

It goes back farther than that. The Gingrich Congress and the Bush administration were reckless and corrupt as well

At least they got punished somewhat for their overreaching. Americans have been awarding them for it ever since 2010.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #792 on: November 29, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »

A motion by Sen. Ron Wyden to return the bill to Committee will receive a vote at 8 PM EST.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #793 on: November 29, 2017, 06:54:35 PM »

I'm not going to straight up panic yet. If "the Trigger" is in the senate bill, I expect it to be removed in conference which might freak out Corker and the upcoming Byrd Bath probably endangers Murkowski's vote.  Regardless of what happens, we've got atleast another week of this crap.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #794 on: November 29, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »

I'm not going to straight up panic yet. If "the Trigger" is in the senate bill, I expect it to be removed in conference which might freak out Corker and the upcoming Byrd Bath probably endangers Murkowski's vote.  Regardless of what happens, we've got atleast another week of this crap.

There will be much moaning and gnashing of teeth by various Republicans along the way, but eventually this will pass in some form.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #795 on: November 29, 2017, 06:58:13 PM »

Corker and everyone besides Collins and Murkowski and McCain were/are always and always will be yeses. Don't kid yourself

There will be much moaning and gnashing of teeth by various Republicans along the way, but eventually this will pass in some form.

I'm aware, but I've got a slim ray of hope that something screws this all up.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #796 on: November 29, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »

Government shutdowns
Pedophilia

The list goes on.

At least they got punished somewhat for their overreaching. Americans have been awarding them for it ever since 2010.

Was 2012 not a disaster for Republicans in the Senate all around? And the House was worse for them than expected. And EC (Florida)

Yeah, but that wasn't a punishment for their overreach or insanity. Ever since Obama was re elected they've gone completely off the deep end, and they've done nothing but benefit from it, or at the very least, despite it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #797 on: November 29, 2017, 07:06:09 PM »

Corker and everyone besides Collins and Murkowski and McCain were/are always and always will be yeses. Don't kid yourself

Kennedy might actually vote no if there is a trigger.  Honestly, he seems to be at least mildly principled by Republican standards (low as they are).
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #798 on: November 29, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »

I can see Collins and either Corker or maybe Kennedy voting no but I'm unsure about where a third no could come from
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #799 on: November 29, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »

I can see Collins and either Corker or maybe Kennedy voting no but I'm unsure about where a third no could come from

McCain wouldn’t surprise me, he sounds pretty unhappy with the bill and would love to milk being the deciding vote for all the attention he can.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies