To me it seems pretty silly that Obama thinks he can ACTUALLY get North Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:44:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  To me it seems pretty silly that Obama thinks he can ACTUALLY get North Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: To me it seems pretty silly that Obama thinks he can ACTUALLY get North Carolina  (Read 12244 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:18:03 AM »

He described North Carolina as a "swing state".  WRONG, Bush won it by 16%.  There would have to be a MASSIVE swing to get it into the Obama aisle, especially since it is a pretty conservative state.  Do you agree?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:19:16 AM »

All things are possible with Our Lord and Saviour!
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:22:26 AM »

It really worries me that Obama's advisors actually think that he can win North Carolina...

That is scary. Who are these incompetent people?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:23:56 AM »

Which do? Other than Josh22, that is.

But it is worth noting that Howard Dean's 50-state strategy paid dividends in 2006.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:25:09 AM »

It really worries me that Obama's advisors actually think that he can win North Carolina...

Better than Hillary's advisors, that's for sure.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:40:18 AM »

At least Hillary's advisors realize that the swing states are Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida and West Virginia, unlike Obama's advisors, who think that the swing states are Virginia and North Carolina.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:41:41 AM »

At least Hillary's advisors realize that the swing states are Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida and West Virginia, unlike Obama's advisors, who think that the swing states are Virginia and North Carolina.

When he won the primary....did you actually want him to say election night..."Yay we won North Carolina.....but its cool though cause we are definately going to lose it in November! WOO HOO!"

...?
zombones

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 12:42:46 AM »

This topic is highly retarded
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 12:43:35 AM »

Summary:

Republicans and Hillary hacks to Obama: GIVE UP.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 12:45:54 AM »

Hey I read somewhere that Obama can win Nebraska, or at least a CD or two. Keep hope alive. Next thing you know, Provo will go Dem!
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 12:50:30 AM »

When he won the primary....did you actually want him to say election night..."Yay we won North Carolina.....but its cool though cause we are definately going to lose it in November! WOO HOO!"

...?

Also...what about this whole thing from Hillary "Oh ive won all the big states...like California and Texas..."

So does that mean you believe Obama is going to lose California but Clinton will win California AND Texas? She even said in her Victory speech how she'd campaign in Texas to move it in the "dem slot"

hm?
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 01:07:57 AM »

He can't win North Carolina.  But maybe Virginia.

Which will be more than canceled out by his poor performance in New England, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 01:10:23 AM »

This is ridiculous. Everyone will claim they can win crazy states at this point. Some may even claim such right before the election. It doesn't reflect on what they believe, it's to get their supporters fired up.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 01:10:46 AM »

Which will be more than canceled out by his poor performance in New England, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Uh if he wins Virginia...he certainly as all hell would be winning New Jersey and Pennsylvania....unless something whacky happens and everything is topsy turby.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 01:12:52 AM »

Anything is possible with Him, my friends. North Carolina, Nebraska, North Dakota, Virginia ... there isn't a state that will refuse to fall to him!
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 01:14:31 AM »

Uh if he wins Virginia...he certainly as all hell would be winning New Jersey and Pennsylvania....unless something whacky happens and everything is topsy turby.

PA has a lower black population.  Northeast states have more racial tension and ethnic catholics that didn't really hurt Obama in a Democratic Primary but will come back to haunt him in November.  Also, Virginia is no longer really a threshold to show Democrats are overperforming in my opinion.  Look how much Northern Virginia has grown.  That coupled with the high black population could drive him over the top even as he's losing reliably democratic states.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 01:18:49 AM »

All things are possible with Our Lord and Saviour!

Obamanation? I'll get out my red map.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »

PA has a lower black population.  Northeast states have more racial tension and ethnic catholics that didn't really hurt Obama in a Democratic Primary but will come back to haunt him in November.  Also, Virginia is no longer really a threshold to show Democrats are overperforming in my opinion.  Look how much Northern Virginia has grown.  That coupled with the high black population could drive him over the top even as he's losing reliably democratic states.

You clearly know very little about your own region. I'll leave it at that. Pennsylvania will be interesting; the others, no.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 01:27:27 AM »

You clearly know very little about your own region. I'll leave it at that. Pennsylvania will be interesting; the others, no.

Really?  I was one of the first to predict that Obama would win Connecticut in the primary.  Perhaps you haven't seen recent polls from "your region," like the one showing McCain and Obama tied in Massachusetts.  That shows just how weak he is going to be in several Northeast States.  Hope this helps.
kevinatcausa
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 02:22:07 AM »

To try and wrench this one back on topic:

Sen. Obama may not have much of a chance of winning NC.   He didn't have much of a chance of winning Pennsylvania in the primary either.   What he was able to do there was to force Sen. Clinton to spend money that was needed elsewhere.

Could he be trying (or going to try) something similar here (perhaps in VA more than NC)?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 02:31:02 AM »

He described North Carolina as a "swing state".  WRONG, Bush won it by 16% 12%.  There would have to be a MASSIVE swing to get it into the Obama aisle, especially since it is a pretty conservative state.  Do you agree?

fixed.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 02:39:08 AM »

He described North Carolina as a "swing state".  WRONG, Bush won it by 16% 12%.  There would have to be a MASSIVE swing to get it into the Obama aisle, especially since it is a pretty conservative state.  Do you agree?

fixed.

Ronnie can we agree that North Carolina will at least trend democrat this year? Like you said Reps had a 12 point win there last time and it was R+5 if I am remembering correctly. Would you agree that NC may only be R+3 or 4 this election cycle. I think if Obama wins the election by a good 6 to 7 points he could pick up NC. I know not likely to happen but certainly not impossible. Also whites in NC voted marginally more Obama than in PA so the map could end up looking a little weird this year.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 06:13:36 AM »

First off, Obama only said that, because who is going to go to someone state and say "Hey we won tonight, but who care about you NC because you will vote for McCain in the fall". Also Blacks make up 21% of the RV in NC, with high turnout with blacks and low turnout with the Christian Consv basic, Obama looks like he will keep it close in 2008. Also it always good to get McCain to spend money in state like NC, VA ect and not spend it in state like PA, OH ect.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »

A nice jab there, but I hope you're remembering that Hillary Clinton is also losing plenty of other reliably Democratic states too.  You should do, as it has been pointed out to you several times.
elcorazon

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 09:23:20 AM »

I think Virginia is more winnable than West Virginia, and probably as winnable as Florida.  NC is likely more winnable than WV as well, although none are as swing as Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies