What user has changed the most since he started posting here?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:04:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What user has changed the most since he started posting here?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: What user has changed the most since he started posting here?  (Read 8850 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2005, 09:24:14 PM »

JFRAUD here is exactly what I posted, you will note more than five months ago:

Now, what part of this are you having a conceptual problem with?

I already explained, you do a random sample of the population. In this case, the sample is infinite, but for a random sample of 940 and 60, it doesn't matter whether the same is infinite. That will always be statisticaly significant at the 95% confidence level.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2005, 09:36:05 PM »

JFRAUD, why do you support policies that have ann effect of killing hundred of primarily poor and Black people?

2. I never said that you'd be 95% certain that the next coin would be heads. That's not what were were arguing about. That's not required to conclude that there are statistically significantly more heads than tails (with 95% confidence). If it was 50.000001% heads, and I did 10^100 coin tosses, I should basically always reject the null hypothesis of a fair coin. 

JFRAUD that what this type of statistical measure tests for.  You are looking to see if an effect, coming up heads, occurs enough so that you can claim at a specific level of certainty, it occurs.  Statisticians generally set that level being statistically significant it it occurs at 95% confidence level, not if it occurs above an expected value.  See:  http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm#terminology

You coin toss is enough to say that the coin not behaving within the expected value, but that is not to say that the result is statistically significant at the 95% confidence level, the level that statisticians use.

You are confusing probabilities with statistical significance.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2005, 09:41:20 PM »

JFRAUD, why do you support policies that have an effect of killing hundred of primarily poor and Black people?  Why don't you answer the question?

JFRAUD here is exactly what I posted, you will note more than five months ago:

Now, what part of this are you having a conceptual problem with?

I already explained, you do a random sample of the population. In this case, the sample is infinite, but for a random sample of 940 and 60, it doesn't matter whether the same is infinite. That will always be statisticaly significant at the 95% confidence level.

Okay based on that can you claim, with 95% certainty, that the coin comes up heads?  Can you claim that the claim that the coin is behaving differently than expected values?

BTW:  Here is the absolute proof that JFRAUD has not changed.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2005, 09:47:50 PM »

I have one suggestion:

Merge this thread with the Mormonism thread in the Off-Topic Board. At least it will have some additional laugh value. For a while, it seems like people were mostly on-topic, then the statistical significance BS came up again, Joe Republic screamed for it to stop, the topic abruptly shifted to, uh, rabbits for a short time, and now we're back to statistical significance.

Please, please, please merge this with the Mormonism one. Wink
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2005, 10:06:53 PM »

The Mormonism thing was a serious discussion until all of the rabbit posts.  Just because you don't like religious debate doesn't mean you have to spam it Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »

LOL, this is getting repetitive, J.J.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »

LOL, this is getting pathetic, "Brownie, You're Doing A Heck Of A Job", that you have to change every possible discusion into a waste of time.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2005, 10:41:48 PM »

I note that you still have not answered my questions, which seems to be a common problem with most of comments on this.  Let's try again.

Why do you support policies that have an effect of killing hundred of primarily poor and Black people?  Why don't you answer the question?

Okay based on that can you claim, with 95% certainty, that the coin comes up heads?  Can you claim that the claim that the coin is behaving differently than expected values?

Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2005, 10:45:16 PM »

Seriously, just bump your old thread rather than do this to a fine thread.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2005, 11:08:30 PM »

Ah, if you've clicked the links, you'll note that this has been tried.  In all fairness, I have not raised it once, since I started a thread because of the hijacking.

Has Jfern changed?  This thread answers the question.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies