Would you allow your 16-year-old to have sex?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:43:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Would you allow your 16-year-old to have sex?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Would you allow your 16-year-old to have sex?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Would you allow your 16-year-old to have sex?  (Read 5860 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2019, 05:30:44 PM »

You're the one who brought up the word "natural."

I'm saying it's ridiculous to ever try to argue a point based on what's "natural" or not.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2019, 05:54:41 PM »

For thousands if not millions of years, most humans became parents in their teenage years.

Now, that doesn't make it right necessarily. But let's not go down the "it's not natural" path.

Is it "natural" for kids to grow up with no rules and become feral kids?

Or is it natural for a parent to attempt to equip a child to make decisions that lead to safety, security, and an existence that makes sense?

Fuzzy, wouldn't the fact that at least two of your children apparently did not live up to this standard imply that it is something that doesn't just happen to kids who "grow up with no rules and become feral"? If you've lived through this twice, you should know how nigh-near impossible it is to prevent it from happening. You said you "weren't proud," but the question was about "allowing" it. Our point is that parents cannot control something like this, and trying to would probably lead to a more unhealthy relationship than just making sure they know about safe sex and letting them live their life.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2019, 06:21:52 PM »

For thousands if not millions of years, most humans became parents in their teenage years.

Now, that doesn't make it right necessarily. But let's not go down the "it's not natural" path.

Is it "natural" for kids to grow up with no rules and become feral kids?

Or is it natural for a parent to attempt to equip a child to make decisions that lead to safety, security, and an existence that makes sense?

Fuzzy, wouldn't the fact that at least two of your children apparently did not live up to this standard imply that it is something that doesn't just happen to kids who "grow up with no rules and become feral"? If you've lived through this twice, you should know how nigh-near impossible it is to prevent it from happening. You said you "weren't proud," but the question was about "allowing" it. Our point is that parents cannot control something like this, and trying to would probably lead to a more unhealthy relationship than just making sure they know about safe sex and letting them live their life.

The only "safe sex" is abstinence.  Everything else is only "safer sex".
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2019, 01:50:50 AM »

Everything a minor child does is a parent’s business, and most of the opinions in this thread are ridiculous. There is a point where stuff just gets too liberal.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2019, 07:47:59 AM »

Bizarre that almost 40% say no.

Conservatives' weird fantasy that the only alternative to selling sex on the street for crack is to live in a Handmaid's Tale dystopia of sexual repression is one of the stranger things in American culture. I'd expect my kids to do the normal thing back when I was a kid - get a girlfriend/boyfriend in their midteens and have sex with them. And I'd expect that based on having raised them to be sensible and also on the fact they would have gone through comprehensive sex ed in school they'd be reasonably well equipped to deal with the situation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2019, 07:53:03 AM »

Everything a minor child does is a parent’s business
no, no it's not....and that's a good thing for both the child and the parent.  Did you not keep things from your parents when you were a kid?

It's weird to me, that everyone is a child, yet so many totally forget what it's like to be one when they turn into an adult.  Some kids/parents want to be in each other's business, but, at least in my experience, most kids/parents are not like that.  Maybe I'm biased.  Maybe it's just that that was the type of family I grew up in.  And maybe those are the kinds of kids and parents that I was and am attracted to.  Maybe some wider cultural reasons for it too.
To clarify, here's two situations I had in mind:

1. Your 16-year-old comes home with a box of condoms and their significant other. They want to have a sleepover.

2. You open the door to your 16-year-old's room and see them in the act (having had no idea beforehand).
I agree with politicallefty and Crumpets
1. Awesome, I'm happy they're using safer sex methods. It's none of my business thereafter and I hope they have a good night.

2. I can't imagine having no idea before. Um, immediately close the door and walk away. Either pretend that nothing happened or have a very casual conversation if it came up (particularly about safer sex). Maybe buy some condoms for said teen or discuss birth control. I feel there are a lot of ways to approach this without making everyone feel too uncomfortable.
16 yo are basically adults.  Sure, they're idiots and bounce between extreme over and under confidence (by the way, that never ends, you just get better at recognizing it), but they should be in charge of their own day-to-day safety, their own upkeep of their stuff and their body, their own finances.  They shouldn't have any problem approaching you for help in any of these and the parent should give advice or assist when needed.  But those last few teenage years at home should be practice for being an independent adult.  They should be washing their own clothes, preparing their own meals, buying their own entertainment.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2019, 08:13:21 AM »

no, no it's not....and that's a good thing for both the child and the parent.  Did you not keep things from your parents when you were a kid?

It's weird to me, that everyone is a child, yet so many totally forget what it's like to be one when they turn into an adult.  Some kids/parents want to be in each other's business, but, at least in my experience, most kids/parents are not like that.  Maybe I'm biased.  Maybe it's just that that was the type of family I grew up in.  And maybe those are the kinds of kids and parents that I was and am attracted to.  Maybe some wider cultural reasons for it too.
To clarify, here's two situations I had in mind:

1. Your 16-year-old comes home with a box of condoms and their significant other. They want to have a sleepover.

2. You open the door to your 16-year-old's room and see them in the act (having had no idea beforehand).
I agree with politicallefty and Crumpets
1. Awesome, I'm happy they're using safer sex methods. It's none of my business thereafter and I hope they have a good night.

2. I can't imagine having no idea before. Um, immediately close the door and walk away. Either pretend that nothing happened or have a very casual conversation if it came up (particularly about safer sex). Maybe buy some condoms for said teen or discuss birth control. I feel there are a lot of ways to approach this without making everyone feel too uncomfortable.
16 yo are basically adults.  Sure, they're idiots and bounce between extreme over and under confidence (by the way, that never ends, you just get better at recognizing it), but they should be in charge of their own day-to-day safety, their own upkeep of their stuff and their body, their own finances.  They shouldn't have any problem approaching you for help in any of these and the parent should give advice or assist when needed.  But those last few teenage years at home should be practice for being an independent adult.  They should be washing their own clothes, preparing their own meals, buying their own entertainment.

Agreed, especially with that last paragraph. That's basically how I was raised and I'll say based on my anecdotal experiences that it makes a huge difference to a person's maturity whether they get used to at an early age to be responsible and independent.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2019, 08:40:15 AM »

Uh yeah, it basically is, at least that is how I was raised, and thanks for the dog whistle at the end, much appreciated. Tbh, my parents know most everything about me, and what little I have not told them I bet they already know by now anyways, they aren't stupid. No I am not perfect, and I have not followed my ideal 100%, but I am an imperfect human and am trying to be better at it. But I hardly ever lie when they want to know the truth. But I hold the right conviction and I am trying to work to get there even though it is not very easy, it is the right thing.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2019, 01:17:44 PM »

I find it interesting that the liberals of this site are saying they wouldn't mind, while the conservatives are saying they would, given that Roy Moore was accused of having sex with 16-year-olds (granted, that's the age of consent in Alabama) and conservatives defended him.

Not trying to cast aspersions on anyone's beliefs here, or call anyone a hypocrite, but it's somewhat indicative of how willingly people abandon their beliefs just to defend/attack a politician.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2019, 01:50:38 PM »

I find it interesting that the liberals of this site are saying they wouldn't mind, while the conservatives are saying they would, given that Roy Moore was accused of having sex with 16-year-olds (granted, that's the age of consent in Alabama) and conservatives defended him.

Not trying to cast aspersions on anyone's beliefs here, or call anyone a hypocrite, but it's somewhat indicative of how willingly people abandon their beliefs just to defend/attack a politician.

What about me then?
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2019, 01:56:46 PM »

is it really that hard to grasp the idea that a 16-year old having sex with another 16-year old is fine, but a 16-year old with a 30-year old isn't?

this is so stereotypical of a libertarian I would've thought it was a parody
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2019, 03:50:59 PM »

Bizarre that almost 40% say no.

Yes it’s bizarre 40% say no that number should be 100%.

Lastly if believing this makes me Puritan than I am proud to be one
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2019, 04:15:27 PM »

if believing this makes me Puritan than I am proud to be one
Nobody has called you a "Puritan" as of yet.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2019, 04:19:41 PM »

if believing this makes me Puritan than I am proud to be one
Nobody has called you a "Puritan" as of yet.

Comstock did
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2019, 04:49:24 PM »

Most Teenagers have had sex when they turned 16 already, but alot of females, regardless of using protection haven't become pregnant.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2019, 04:59:48 PM »

is it really that hard to grasp the idea that a 16-year old having sex with another 16-year old is fine, but a 16-year old with a 30-year old isn't?

I said exactly this earlier in the thread; however, I didn't see a lot of people including that caveat.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »

I said exactly this earlier in the thread; however, I didn't see a lot of people including that caveat.

I think most people assume that "with someone around the same age" is an implied part of the question.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2019, 12:48:27 PM »

Like I stated previously, 16 females are having unprotected sex, at alarming rates, but not getting pregnant,  behind dads' back
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »

I doubt my kids would ask my permission to begin with.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2019, 02:59:11 PM »

Honestly cracking up at this thread being cited in an argument "but mum, as you see 62% of users on uselectionatlas.org agree that your ban on me having sex is completely illogical!"
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2019, 09:37:37 PM »

Honestly cracking up at this thread being cited in an argument "but mum, as you see 62% of users on uselectionatlas.org agree that your ban on me having sex is completely illogical!"

"I would have let you had sex if you had only given me the breakdown by partisan subgroup."
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2019, 10:29:30 PM »

Most Teenagers have had sex when they turned 16 already,

I'm pretty sure this claim isn't backed up by most surveys.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2019, 12:11:44 AM »

I know they probably would eventually. I just wouldn't want to know objectively that it happens until they move out/are married. Blissful ignorance, yes, but I wouldn't want that image in my mind even for a second.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2019, 06:29:23 AM »

This question is dumb to begin with.

Like, what 16 year old is going to come to their mom or dad and be like; "Yo, do you mind if I f**ck this (guy/girl)"?

I think it should require a written consent from the parent, properly verified by the county clerk.

It should be illegal for a parent to “not allow” their 16 year old to have sex. Fine the parent $1000 if they object or attempt to enforce this on them.

We need to go to extreme measures to reject the nanny state and the culture that perpetuates it, not the opposite direction.

You are literally proposing a nanny state. It's just that you want to nanny the parents instead of the children.

We will force you to be free.

Most Teenagers have had sex when they turned 16 already,

I'm pretty sure this claim isn't backed up by most surveys.

Yup, median in the US is 17-18 depending on the survey.
ChelseaT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2019, 02:15:32 PM »

I'd teach them about safe sex, and to make sure the person is worth it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies