Canadian Redistribution - Provincial and Municipal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:08:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Redistribution - Provincial and Municipal (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Redistribution - Provincial and Municipal  (Read 44469 times)
DL
Canada

« on: October 25, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »

I wonder if Gilles Bisson would run in Timmins or in the new Mishke whatever-James Bay?
DL
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:30:22 AM »

Now that the BC election is over and the NDP won big - I wonder how long before the issue of redistribution comes up. Right now BC has a formula that is extremely generous to the depopulated interior and the BC Liberals likely got a bonus of 3 or 4 seats beyond what they should have had because they win a bunch of interior seats with extremely small populations (i.e. Peace River North, Peace River South, Nechako Lakes, the Cariboos etc...). Granted the NDP also has some "rotton boroughs" like North Coast and Stikine.

I wonder if the NDP will reduce the allowable deviation in riding populations and have a new map in time for the 2024 election that would likely add seats in the Lower Mainland and in southern Vancouver Island and subtract seats in the interior?
DL
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 04:31:37 PM »

I'm reminded of when the NS NDP got rid of the protected franco ridings and the African riding, and people got upset. Not saying they lost the election because of that, but these kinds of things can be unpopular. Best to sneakily increase the size of the legislature by adding seats in the Lower Mainland.

I think the issue there was that ridings had been created specifically with the goal of ensuring representation of francophones and for Blacks...in BC the ridings with small populations are not designed to favour any minority group - they are just rural seats with too few people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies