Gary Johnson (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 08:21:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Gary Johnson (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gary Johnson  (Read 5232 times)
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« on: January 29, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »

I believe that Johnson is now a member of the Libertarian Party. I remember when Jimmy McMillan had to switch his voter registration from Dem to Republican in order to run for the GOP nod (btw, is he even still running?), so I think that in order for Johnson to run for the LP nod he would have to change his voter registration from GOP to LP. That said, his chances of being selected as the GOP veep are at absolute zero. They were at absolute zero even when he was still a Republican. I doubt Ron Paul would even consider him for the job.

He could, but he never was going to be considered as Republican running mate.  Nor do I think the Libertarian Party will turn to him.  If they do, they give up any claim to being more than a joke party.  Not that they aren't a joke party, but I doubt they want to admit it.
I don't think the LP would look like a joke party by nominating Johnson. After all, he was a two term governor of New Mexico and is apparently still popular to get, like, 23% in a poll with Romney, who is perceived as the strongest possible GOP nominee. Even if he were somehow a "joke", he's definitely less of a joke then certain previous nominees (Borat costar Bob Barr, anyone?).

And sore loser laws are ridiculous. But that's besides the point.
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »

If Johnson had started out running as a Libertarian, I'd agree he wouldn't tarnish the Libertarians if he were their nominee.  As a failed nominee of another party, he does.
Did Ron Paul, a then-former Republican who had lost three separate races for the House as well as a Senate primary, tarnish the Libertarian Party in 1988? Not really. He got half a percent of the vote, which was more than David Bergland's total in 1984 and Andre Marrou's in 1992 (both with a third of a percent). Since then, Paul's total has only been matched once, by Harry Browne in 1996.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies