2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:26:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread  (Read 234331 times)
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« on: March 15, 2018, 04:00:37 PM »

I'm going to try to amuse you all.

I believe the wall is even further back than PA18 might suggest.

I believe, wholeheartedly, that KY05 could be won, and with less than a million dollars.

The district is actually majority democrat, Hal Rogers power in congress is waning, and they're waiting to put forward his replacement when the presidential cycle comes around next year. There's an opening for this district, CPVI of R32, to flip.

R+32? No way. Not unless Hogers is the next Bob Ney. Ojeda's going to have his work cut out for him running in WV-03 and it's "only" R+23.

I can guarantee you that the several recent winning statewide Democrats in WV have won WV-03. Nick Rahall was still hanging in there several years ago, and it took a long series of events for the GOP to dislodge him. Ojeda has a very good chance to retake the district.

KY-05, meanwhile, has some of the most GOP areas in the entire country- not only has ancestrally Democratic eastern Kentucky shifted far to the right, but KY-05 also contains huge tracts of land that have been GOP since the Civil War. It would be incredibly difficult to see a Democrat win the current configuration of the district, if not impossible. I am certain many of those registered Democrats are literal DINOs by now.

Even with an appeal to the idea of "retire Hal Rogers", I don't think a winning campaign can be made. Not with the Democratic Party of today, nor with the massive GOP advantages in this district.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »

I'm going to try to amuse you all.

I believe the wall is even further back than PA18 might suggest.

I believe, wholeheartedly, that KY05 could be won, and with less than a million dollars.

The district is actually majority democrat, Hal Rogers power in congress is waning, and they're waiting to put forward his replacement when the presidential cycle comes around next year. There's an opening for this district, CPVI of R32, to flip.

R+32? No way. Not unless Hogers is the next Bob Ney. Ojeda's going to have his work cut out for him running in WV-03 and it's "only" R+23.

I can guarantee you that the several recent winning statewide Democrats in WV have won WV-03. Nick Rahall was still hanging in there several years ago, and it took a long series of events for the GOP to dislodge him. Ojeda has a very good chance to retake the district.

KY-05, meanwhile, has some of the most GOP areas in the entire country- not only has ancestrally Democratic eastern Kentucky shifted far to the right, but KY-05 also contains huge tracts of land that have been GOP since the Civil War. It would be incredibly difficult to see a Democrat win the current configuration of the district, if not impossible. I am certain many of those registered Democrats are literal DINOs by now.

Even with an appeal to the idea of "retire Hal Rogers", I don't think a winning campaign can be made. Not with the Democratic Party of today, nor with the massive GOP advantages in this district.

You misunderstand me. I’m saying WV-03 is a heavy but doable lift — I am well aware Perdue won it in ‘16 and that Manchin won it in ‘12 — and that KY-05 is not comparable. I agree with you.

Whoops, I misread that. I take it "Ojeda's going to have his work cut out for him" refers to these wins.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies