What will it have to take to have a 500+ EV landslide occur today? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:25:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What will it have to take to have a 500+ EV landslide occur today? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will it have to take to have a 500+ EV landslide occur today?  (Read 5551 times)
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:18:40 PM »

One of three scenarios...

1) A wildly popular incumbent president (70-80% approval rating) presiding over a booming economy and a peaceful world stage plunders a terrible opponent.

2) A wildly unpopular incumbent president (15-25% approval rating) presiding over an economic depression and/or an unpopular war gets plundered by a flawless challenger.

3) A colossal third-party candidacy takes root and splits one of the parties in half, resulting in the other party benefiting from the fracture.

I feel 1 and 2 are far more likely than 3. Even if the 3rd scenario happens this third-party likely wins enough electoral votes in junction with one of the major parties to prevent the other major party from clearing 500. Like it could be a 450/50/38 split.

Due to current polarization I think even 400+ would be a stretch. Obama only got 365, and that was after 8 years of a Republican President who had 25% approvals at the end, a Recession occurring, and two unpopular wars. Even though he was viewed as a messiah by some he couldn't clear 400.

I can't even imagine how bad, or good, things would be for someone to clear 500. Politics have drastically changed since Reagan in 1984.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »

One of three scenarios...

1) A wildly popular incumbent president (70-80% approval rating) presiding over a booming economy and a peaceful world stage plunders a terrible opponent.

2) A wildly unpopular incumbent president (15-25% approval rating) presiding over an economic depression and/or an unpopular war gets plundered by a flawless challenger.

3) A colossal third-party candidacy takes root and splits one of the parties in half, resulting in the other party benefiting from the fracture.

I feel 1 and 2 are far more likely than 3. Even if the 3rd scenario happens this third-party likely wins enough electoral votes in junction with one of the major parties to prevent the other major party from clearing 500. Like it could be a 450/50/38 split.

Due to current polarization I think even 400+ would be a stretch. Obama only got 365, and that was after 8 years of a Republican President who had 25% approvals at the end, a Recession occurring, and two unpopular wars. Even though he was viewed as a messiah by some he couldn't clear 400.

I can't even imagine how bad, or good, things would be for someone to clear 500. Politics have drastically changed since Reagan in 1984.

Strongly disagree here.  I think the most likely scenario for a near sweep of the EC is a new 1912, with almost all states decided by pluralities.  To get to 500+ EV in this era simply by having a popular/unpopular incumbent requires too many committed partisans switching sides.  A 3rd party getting 20-30% leaves more room for places like CA and AL to end up voting for the "wrong" party.

More parties in the race makes it less likely for one to get above 500. It's easier for it to happen with two rather than three. There's little chance that every state, minus like five, votes for the "wrong party." That's what it would take.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies