The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:46:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79
Author Topic: The Lief Reservoir of Simple Truths and Smart One-Liners  (Read 230942 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1850 on: December 14, 2018, 01:34:59 AM »

Yankee, you know I appreciate your commentary, but I don’t see the logic of throwing an effortpost at people that want to cos-play as a combination of John Calhoun and Mussolini and quite clearly do not care about rights or liberties.

I’m any case, hatred for Lincoln by modern “conservatives” seems to me to speak to hatred for the concept of America as a nation, but oh well.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1851 on: December 15, 2018, 05:28:59 PM »

I think a big problem is that people are desperate to square their pet theories with reality. We saw this to an extent with Pressley. People so wanted to cast a narrative that the Democratic base are so consumed with Identity politics that they imagined this alternative scenario where Capuono was being challenged by a right-wing sleeper agent, when in fact Pressley has (disingenuously or not, it doesn't really matter) presented herself as one of the left leaders of the incoming freshmen.

I mean, I'm not inherently opposed to the idea that progressives  are relying far too heavily on their racial/sexual orientations: which often ends up in hilarious misadventures like Julia Salazar. (And for that matter often comes in a weird backwards form a la Iron Stache) But I feel some people have got so invested in looking at everything through Extremely Online SJW lenses that they have developed a rather warped understanding of politics.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1852 on: December 20, 2018, 03:05:50 AM »

Always funny to see leftists who think America is racist and evil insisting that immigrants from other countries love America.

Immigrants, by and large, do love America.  That's why they came here in the first place, dummy!  It's the Tucker Carlsons, Donald Trumps, Stephen Millers, Steve Bannons, Famous Mortimers, Fuzzy Bears, etc. who make America appear racist and evil to us 'leftists' and those same immigrants.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1853 on: December 20, 2018, 01:47:25 PM »

Context:

You can smell the fear among the Bernie Bros.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1854 on: December 20, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He was openly black.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1855 on: December 21, 2018, 12:43:39 AM »

This is a smear campaign because Kamala Harris and Cory Booker were supposed to be the new Hillary Clinton. Only they'd split up the black vote and allow Bernie to continue to ignore black folks and get the nomination. Here comes Beto who has progressive credentials from his vow to refuse PAC money in his run vs Ted Cruz, white liberals love him and he will probably eat into whatever advantage Bernie thought he had with Hispanics.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1856 on: December 21, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »

I saw a CNN alert on my phone that started with "Ruth Bader Ginsberg, age 85,..." and had to grab onto my kitchen counter to keep from falling over.

Glad she's ok

There's something wrong with the way our government works when the life and death of a SCOTUS Justice strikes joy in the hearts of some and fear in the hearts of others.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #1857 on: December 21, 2018, 11:41:56 PM »

For Democrats: I agree with Matthew 5:9.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1858 on: December 24, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »

maybe were all just pretending to be smarter than we really are brah
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #1859 on: December 25, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »

If you're over 7 and still believe in Trump, you're pretty marginal.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1860 on: December 29, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »

It's a fixture of American politics that Republicans make messes and Democrats are elected to clean them up, but when they don't clean them up fast enough Republicans harvest the impatience and indifference of Democrats to return to power.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1861 on: January 03, 2019, 12:30:08 AM »

So why are we not talking about the likability of the male candidates?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1862 on: January 05, 2019, 03:35:53 PM »

Lol no. The biggest mistake people on this forum make is assuming current trends will perpetuate forever. Look at the trend map for 2008 for example. Huge swaths of the midwest trended dem - Obama won WI MI and PA by large margins. The midwest is whiter and less educated than the country at large which is why it has trended R recently. But it is also much less religious and culturally conservative than the south and will therefore never be as republican.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1863 on: January 10, 2019, 08:49:27 PM »

On Atlas, sure, but that's because Atlas is left-leaning, and Evangelicals are (as a whole) strongly Republican-leaning. Surprisingly, there's also a decent amount of malice towards atheists here, not sure why.

In America as a whole, definitely not. While you could certainly find people who attack Christians in America, there's much more anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim, and anti-secular sentiment here.

Hate to generalize, but there really are two kinds of atheists.  Only one type gets ridiculed here, and for good reason.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the two *types* of atheists, exactly?

Militant ones who refuse to accept that anyone *rational* can be anything other than an atheist (i.e., they'll be "civil" with you as long as you go into the debate with the preconceived agreement that YOU hold your positions due to FAITH, which is just fine by them, but they hold their positions due to LOGIC ... if you do not adhere to this, and maintain that you believe in a God or whatever due to rational or scientific theories, their panties get into a very big bunch) and, well, normal ones who don't let being an atheist define who they are/don't think being an atheist says something overly special about who they are.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1864 on: January 13, 2019, 01:37:37 AM »

It's one thing for DФИДLD TЯЦMP to conceal what was discussed with Putin from the media, but another thing entirely to conceal it from his own State Department and administration officials.  He's not even trying to hide his subservience to Russian interests.

Well, technically, trying to hide it is exactly what he's doing. It's just that Trump is bad at everything.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1865 on: January 19, 2019, 01:16:02 AM »

Who cares about being embarrassing on US Election Atlas dot Org?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1866 on: February 06, 2019, 10:44:30 PM »

Hearing around from my non political circles, people who just watch local news... There's a lot of skepticism around the Fairfax stuff. 'Why did she wait so long', 'How can you force oral', 'Why didn't she bite?' Think a lot more people are more nuanced on the MeToo stuff than most people in the media think.

This is what rape culture looks like. Congratulations.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1867 on: February 08, 2019, 10:45:31 AM »

Before I delete this, I feel someone should tell you that adding “/s” to the end of anything sarcastic deprives it of any intended value.

My biggest pet peeve on the Internet
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1868 on: February 11, 2019, 10:33:56 AM »

This thread is pretty lol.

"well, apart from the fact that she's a fanatic homophobe, a supporter of foreign dictators and their genocides, cosies up to the worst parts of the Republican party and isn't particularly progressive THERE ARE NO SUBSTANTIVE ARGUMENTS AGAINST HER"

Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1869 on: February 12, 2019, 09:53:17 AM »

Always black, but of course Atlas would be full of black coffee drinkers.

not me

I like to put cream and sugar in my coffee

Nobody gives a sh!t about you.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1870 on: February 13, 2019, 10:12:38 PM »

I mean yeah, I completely agree that affordable housing is the far better option. Rent controls are just an ad hoc fix on a broken system and should ideally be temporary. The endgame is for states to acquire large amounts of housing units (both through expropriation of landlords and new building projects) and rent them out at rates far below market to means-tested residents. But let's face it, that's not happening in this political climate any time soon, so the ad hoc fix is better than nothing.

The idea of rent controls being a more successful short-term policy but a bad long-term one is also in line with the conclusion of the paper Karpatsky posted. The issue, though, is that governments are lazy and motivated primarily by immideate action - so if they decide “we’re fine” for now they likely aren’t going to do anything to address future gradual but substantial detriments (*cough* climate change *cough); because of this, ‘temporary solutions’ can often inadvertently become permanent. It’s not a direct flaw in the policy itself, but worth thinking about when it’s being implemented like this.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1871 on: February 14, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »

Social conservatism is the very thing that enables bad economic and foreign policy. If neo-cons had to run on their economic and foreign policy they would get trounced. Instead they have weaved themselves into the Christian and social conservative communities by embracing wedge issues, hollow patriotism, and repressive traditionalism to then pass terrible legislation that hurts that very same base. Which never seems to get the base to revolt and instead entrenches them to believe they are under attack from all sides.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1872 on: February 14, 2019, 07:29:18 PM »

This is not good news for the LGBT community, sadly.

I wouldnt go that far. Although, it takes the term "bitchy queen" to a whole new level.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1873 on: February 16, 2019, 11:21:52 AM »

Just to recap a couple things real quick:

Fuzzy Bear and Calthrina: "Ilhan Omar's choice of language about Israel and AIPAC reeks of antisemitism!"

Fuzzy Bear on immigration: "Those illegals are crashing our border like mindless zombies!"
Calthrina on immigration: "What we need is a final solution to this problem."

Donald Trump, every other day:  [something antisemitic], [something racist], [something sexist]
Fuzzy Bear: "Trump doesn't need to apologize; his opponents would never accept it, and that's their problem, not his."

Fuzzy Bear and Calthrina: "Omar needs to apologize!"
* Omar apologizes *
Fuzzy Bear: "I don't accept her fake apology.  She should be stripped of her committee assignments."

I think that about sums things up.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1874 on: February 16, 2019, 03:54:07 PM »

Just to recap a couple things real quick:

Fuzzy Bear and Calthrina: "Ilhan Omar's choice of language about Israel and AIPAC reeks of antisemitism!"

Fuzzy Bear on immigration: "Those illegals are crashing our border like mindless zombies!"
Calthrina on immigration: "What we need is a final solution to this problem."

Donald Trump, every other day:  [something antisemitic], [something racist], [something sexist]
Fuzzy Bear: "Trump doesn't need to apologize; his opponents would never accept it, and that's their problem, not his."

Fuzzy Bear and Calthrina: "Omar needs to apologize!"
* Omar apologizes *
Fuzzy Bear: "I don't accept her fake apology.  She should be stripped of her committee assignments."

I think that about sums things up.

This is why Joe has been consistently the best poster on here for over a decade.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies