Should the DNC replace Harris with another running mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:13:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should the DNC replace Harris with another running mate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should the DNC replace Harris with another running mate?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Should the DNC replace Harris with another running mate?  (Read 975 times)

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2024, 09:50:25 AM »

Biden is not dropping out and was never going to drop out. Here's another helpful list of things which will not happen, which I'm sure Atlasians will nonetheless discuss as though they are real possibilities:

A contested convention
A cancelled/virtual convention
Replacing the incumbent VP
A third party candidate winning a state
A House contingent election (This is probably the most likely of the bunch. It still will not happen.)

The last time a VP was replaced for re-election to a second term was in the late 1800s. It is not going to happen. Every time somebody suggests replacing the VP as if it’s a realistic possibility, a puppy dies.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2024, 09:52:50 AM »

It's too late
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2024, 01:43:47 PM »

The fact that replacing Harris as well as Joe dropping out have been constant themes in here and elsewhere just shows how pathetic of a ticket Biden/Harris really is. Very weak. People don’t want either.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2024, 01:54:14 PM »

Atlas 2004: constant "Will Bush drop Cheney" threads (I wasn't here yet but I've seen the threads)
Atlas 2012: constant "Will Obama drop Biden" threads
Atlas 2020: constant "Will Trump drop Pence" threads
Atlas2024: constant: "Will Biden drop Harris" threads

Presidents don't drop their VPs, people. Gerald Ford is the only exception in living memory and the only reason he picked Rocky as his VP in the first place was he needed someone a near-supermajority Dem Congress would confirm.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2024, 01:43:37 PM »

Biden is not dropping out and was never going to drop out. Here's another helpful list of things which will not happen, which I'm sure Atlasians will nonetheless discuss as though they are real possibilities:

A contested convention
A House contingent election (This is probably the most likely of the bunch. It still will not happen.)

The last time a VP was replaced for re-election to a second term was in the late 1800s. It is not going to happen. Every time somebody suggests replacing the VP as if it’s a realistic possibility, a puppy dies.

What a cute phrasing of things to remove the 3 times the VP was replaced in this past century.

1976 - Nelson Rockefeller removed and replaced with Bob Dole
1940 - John Nance Garner removed and replaced with Henry Wallace (if you want to say Garner was not removed insofar as he ran for President himself, fine, that still leaves...
1944 - Henry Wallace removed and replaced with Harry Truman

It was also privately discussed in 2004 and possibly replacing Dick Cheney.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2024, 03:01:05 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2024, 03:55:58 PM by ꙮ »

A contested convention

What a cute phrasing of things to remove the 3 times the VP was replaced in this past century.

1940 - John Nance Garner removed and replaced with Henry Wallace (if you want to say Garner was not removed insofar as he ran for President himself, fine, that still leaves...

It’s not “cute phrasing” to not count Rockefeller. He was the 25th amendment replacement VP to a replacement president. He was never on a ticket in the first place. He was an obvious placeholder pick.

Admittedly FDR is a more reasonable objection, but even then only 1944 counts. Garner clearly had no interest in remaining VP given he ran against Roosevelt, as you point out.

Wallace->Truman is the only VP replacement that really counts, "cute phrasing" aside.

I don’t believe for a second that there was actually a chance of Cheney being removed in 2004. People have allegedly “privately discussed” replacing every VP, but it never actually happens. The last time it was even a serious possibility (excluding the previously mentioned Agnew->Ford->Rockefeller->Dole shuffle 72-76) was Nixon in 56.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2024, 04:21:00 PM »

A contested convention

It’s not “cute phrasing” to not count Rockefeller. He was the 25th amendment replacement VP to a replacement president. He was never on a ticket in the first place. He was an obvious placeholder pick.

Admittedly FDR is a more reasonable objection, but even then only 1944 counts. Garner clearly had no interest in remaining VP given he ran against Roosevelt, as you point out.

Wallace->Truman is the only VP replacement that really counts, "cute phrasing" aside.

I don’t believe for a second that there was actually a chance of Cheney being removed in 2004. People have allegedly “privately discussed” replacing every VP, but it never actually happens. The last time it was even a serious possibility (excluding the previously mentioned Agnew->Ford->Rockefeller->Dole shuffle 72-76) was Nixon in 56.

The 1976 thing, as I mentioned, gets at the problem that Congress would've never approved Dole or someone similar as Ford's VP in the first place. Rockefeller wasn't the VP Ford wanted and certainly wasn't one the GOP as a whole wanted.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2024, 04:43:17 PM »

Harris isn’t a bad person or unlikable. I just think she isn’t good at public speaking. IMO.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2024, 04:48:30 PM »

Harris isn’t a bad person or unlikable. I just think she isn’t good at public speaking. IMO.

This. To answer to question, no, and they aren't going to. Even if she is a bit of an embarrassment, by no means is she scandal-plagued or toxic enough to warrant being thrown off. Pushing her off would enrage black women or wtv group supports Harris (unless Biden replaces Harris with another black woman - I'm not sure who he might pick) and it would be like admitting and acknowledging an issue that does not actually exist (it's mainly just a GOP narrative used to sow seeds of discontent). It would definitely give Harris more importance and attention than she currently has, which is bad - the campaign needs to be only about a.) Biden's positive achievements and b.) what a terrible threat to democracy Trump is.
TechbroMBA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2024, 04:53:43 PM »

I don't believe black or women voters love Harris. That was the gimmick you were told in the 2020 primaries, and it totally failed and she had to drop out before the primaries to not be embarrassed.

If you win black voters and women, you win Democratic primaries, period.

That said shoving her off the ticket, with no clear landing pad, will just look weak and desperate. If Joe had wanted to dump her he could have nominated her for the Supreme Court seat.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2024, 05:50:51 AM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2024, 06:08:17 AM »

Of course not, and they obviously won’t.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2024, 06:16:43 AM »

I don't believe black or women voters love Harris. That was the gimmick you were told in the 2020 primaries, and it totally failed and she had to drop out before the primaries to not be embarrassed.

If you win black voters and women, you win Democratic primaries, period.

That said shoving her off the ticket, with no clear landing pad, will just look weak and desperate. If Joe had wanted to dump her he could have nominated her for the Supreme Court seat.

She won in 2o and beat Mike Pence in debate, the problem is inflation we haven't had inflation since the 70s what is Trump cure give more tax cuts to rich people
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2024, 06:33:35 AM »

I'm no fan of Harris, but replacing a VP (bar some massive scandal) is very bad optics.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2024, 06:36:20 AM »

With who? Someone who just fell out of a coconut tree?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2024, 08:41:20 AM »

I can see how it would be spun as bad optics because the reasoning would be obvious but to me it would show he’s taking the voters concerns seriously. I think he’s keeping her because he’s afraid to piss off a key voting block (AA women) … Although Keisha Lance Bottoms was the choice he should have gone with if that was a concern.

As we know switching VP’s - although not common of late - is not unheard of
FDR switched 2 times (Garner, Wallace, Truman)
President Kennedy was considering getting rid of Lyndon Johnson.
Gerald Ford switched to Dole
ClassicElectionEnthusiast
Rookie
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2024, 08:56:56 AM »

The only other possible example (and only instance in my 37 years) was there being speculation briefly that Dan Quayle might have been dropped in 1992 following the "Murphy Brown"/"potatoe" incidents. Even then, that rumor was quickly quashed (probably because it seemed that Bush 41 would have alienated more conservatives than he already had with the breaking of his pledge not to raise taxes).
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2024, 10:05:00 AM »

Her record as DA & AG begs to differ. To apologize and/or admit wrongdoing would be one thing, but they swept it under the rug and gaslit people who had an objection.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2024, 12:45:19 AM »

No
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2024, 10:09:41 AM »

Whitmer replacing Harris would boost Biden a few points once voters see a competent, well-spoken potential future President.

But the social justice mob won't allow it. They are determined to run with Harris and use her loss to prove America is a racist country.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2024, 11:58:01 AM »

Whitmer replacing Harris would boost Biden a few points once voters see a competent, well-spoken potential future President.

But the social justice mob won't allow it. They are determined to run with Harris and use her loss to prove America is a racist country.

Whitmer is staying Gov until 26 and Biden is doing all right in polls in MI
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2024, 12:12:19 PM »

[float=right][/float]

Whitmer is staying Gov until 26 and Biden is doing all right in polls in MI

My issue with Harris is in terms of support and ideology, she really runs more in the Elizabeth Warren lane than the Obama lane. Her base is more elite educated college whites and a focus on gender identity issues as opposed to cost of living, economics. While certainly not in the Sanders lane that these college protestors are in, her ideology just does not appeal to very many people, including very few working class non-whites.

Whitmer OTOH has amassed a very deep coalition in both her victories that keeps 100% of Biden 2020 supporters and further expands the coalition.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2024, 12:54:57 AM »

How?
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2024, 06:55:10 PM »

If they know what's good for them they will. But I hope she stays on the ticket as it increases the chance Trump will win.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies