If JFK had not been killed....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:48:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If JFK had not been killed....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If JFK had not been killed....  (Read 3040 times)
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »

If JFK's trip to Dallas had gone on without incident, and he survived, I have a few questions:

1) If he had survived, could he have won the '64 Election? I have heard he was slipping in popularity polls in the months leading up to his death. If I remember correctly, it seemed clear that Goldwater was to be his opponent already and they had planned to have debates as in 1960.

2) If he had won in '64, how do you think history would be different? Would the Civil Rights movement have proceeded as quickly under a second Kennedy term as it did under John's one and a half term? Would we have committed ourselves to Vietnam? Would the counterculture have emerged as it did in the latter part of the '60s?

3) Would he have been remembered as lovingly as he is now? I've read he was actually a very average, borderline mediocre President domestically (in that he was quite unsuccessful in getting any major legislation passed) and a failure in foreign policy. People act as if his death meant the end of a much more promising, almost Utopian future.

4) Would the Civil Rights movement have become as radical and militaristic as some parts of it did in the mid-late 60s, with the race riots and whatnot?

5) Would Kennedy's affairs have ever been made public in his lifetime had he lived and remained President?

6) Lastly, would he have lived through a second term? I've read that due to the severity of his Addisons and his other ailments, he may have become an invalid or even perhaps not survived through a second term....But it seems that is debatable.

Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »

If JFK's trip to Dallas had gone on without incident, and he survived
Not to be nit-picky, but what does this mean? None of the assassination happened, or an attempt at assassination was made but it was foiled/bungled and JFK was also not seriously injured?

Just want to be on the same page.
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 05:05:56 PM »

If JFK's trip to Dallas had gone on without incident, and he survived
Not to be nit-picky, but what does this mean? None of the assassination happened, or an attempt at assassination was made but it was foiled/bungled and JFK was also not seriously injured?

Just want to be on the same page.

The latter. Oswald shoots and misses, not injuring anyone.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:38:15 AM »

NASA and civil rights would have been passed. Better survelliance on king and bobby would have been better and perhaps hoover not fbi head.
sdu754
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »

If JFK's trip to Dallas had gone on without incident, and he survived, I have a few questions:

1) If he had survived, could he have won the '64 Election? I have heard he was slipping in popularity polls in the months leading up to his death. If I remember correctly, it seemed clear that Goldwater was to be his opponent already and they had planned to have debates as in 1960.

2) If he had won in '64, how do you think history would be different? Would the Civil Rights movement have proceeded as quickly under a second Kennedy term as it did under John's one and a half term? Would we have committed ourselves to Vietnam? Would the counterculture have emerged as it did in the latter part of the '60s?

3) Would he have been remembered as lovingly as he is now? I've read he was actually a very average, borderline mediocre President domestically (in that he was quite unsuccessful in getting any major legislation passed) and a failure in foreign policy. People act as if his death meant the end of a much more promising, almost Utopian future.

4) Would the Civil Rights movement have become as radical and militaristic as some parts of it did in the mid-late 60s, with the race riots and whatnot?

5) Would Kennedy's affairs have ever been made public in his lifetime had he lived and remained President?

6) Lastly, would he have lived through a second term? I've read that due to the severity of his Addisons and his other ailments, he may have become an invalid or even perhaps not survived through a second term....But it seems that is debatable.

1) He would have won, Goldwater was too conservative. It would have been a closer race though

2) Civil rights movement would have been slower for political reasons. JFK wanted to wait until his second term, LBJ needed to court black voters to get re-elected. LBJ also used JFKs death to get bill enacted. I also find it hard to believe anyone would have been as incompetent in vietnam as LBJ was. JFK could have forgotten about nam after re-election. LBJ kept things going, because he didn't want to lose vietnam as Truman had lost China, and then face the voters.

3) He wouldn't be as loved, because he was martyred. I don't consider him to be a poor domestic policy president though.

4) I think the constant riots were partialy a failing on LBJs part. Every time a race riot occurred, LBJ trotted out a new civil rights law

5) I've heard that there was a plan to release information on his affairs during the election year. It would have been hard to keep those things under wraps for too long

6) I think he would have made it through a second term, but not too long after that
sdu754
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 12:41:18 PM »

NASA and civil rights would have been passed. Better survelliance on king and bobby would have been better and perhaps hoover not fbi head.

I don't understand your answer. NASA was put in place by Eisenhower and Hoover was the head of the FBI since FDR was president.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies