1960: Lyndon Johnson vs. Richard Nixon (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:23:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  1960: Lyndon Johnson vs. Richard Nixon (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Could Lyndon Johnson have won against Richard Nixon in 1960?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: 1960: Lyndon Johnson vs. Richard Nixon  (Read 4918 times)
sdu754
Rookie
« on: March 24, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »

I think Nixon would have won for the following reasons

1) Kennedy won largely on Looks and charisma, Johnson didn't have that advantage over Nixon
2) LBJs record on civil rights was bad at this point, so he wouldn't have gotten the black vote that JFK did, as well as many northerners might have reluctant to vote for LBJ as well

I also don't think LBJ would have chosen Kennedy, becsause he saw him as a lightwieght and didn't like him.
sdu754
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:04:21 PM »

I think Nixon would have won for the following reasons

1) Kennedy won largely on Looks and charisma, Johnson didn't have that advantage over Nixon
2) LBJs record on civil rights was bad at this point, so he wouldn't have gotten the black vote that JFK did, as well as many northerners might have reluctant to vote for LBJ as well

I also don't think LBJ would have chosen Kennedy, becsause he saw him as a lightwieght and didn't like him.

I think Nixon would have won Illinois against Johnson, but I believe Johnson would have carried Texas if he were at the top of the ticket. I'm thinking that Johnson would have been much weaker in northern & midwest states.
I would add to that the fact that voter fraud allowed Kennedy to win both Illinois and Texas (on top of the advantage LBJ had there), which if they had gone to Nixon he would have won the EV.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies