Arizona Secretary of State likely to remove Obama from Nov. ballot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:36:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Arizona Secretary of State likely to remove Obama from Nov. ballot
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Arizona Secretary of State likely to remove Obama from Nov. ballot  (Read 6902 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »

You don't.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 02:42:31 PM »

Fair enough. I was a PUMA at the time, so who knows what bullsh**t I was lapping up.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »

A bit off topic, but why the hell do US states have partisan elected officials in charge of administering partisan elections anyway?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »

A bit off topic, but why the hell do US states have partisan elected officials in charge of administering partisan elections anyway?
People running for these positions have found it useful to attach themselves to a party to help them get elected and to seek the other offices they view this as a stepping stone for.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »

I wonder if another candidate would promise his/her electors to Obama in exchange for influence/notoriety if Obama were dropped from the AZ ballot.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 04:37:32 PM »

Very legitimate question. And unheard of in other Western countries.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »

Very legitimate question. And unheard of in other Western countries.

Basically the answer to a lot of things about America.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »

People running for these positions have found it useful to attach themselves to a party to help them get elected and to seek the other offices they view this as a stepping stone for.
it needs to be an elected office so the public can hold them accountable somewhat and elections inevitably become somewhat political.  Often, non partisan race candidates are quasi-affiliated with a party anyway.

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 01:06:24 PM »

If I remember right, there were a lot of things about that Certificate of Live Birth that didn't exactly click. Isn't that what started the birther crap in the first place? The fact that the documentation he provided was... questionable?

And I know it's a double-standard. But Obama shouldn't have waited this long. If there was as much demand for Mitt's birth certificate, I'm sure he would've quickly caved in (i.e., his tax returns).

No. The Certificate of Live Birth was a perfectly legitimate birth certificate and is exactly the document you get in the state of Hawaii if you request a copy of your birth certificate. So obviously the birthers declared it a fake. That's when the birthers began calling for the release of the so-called "long-form" birth certificate. After that, the birthers always promised that they would shut up if only Obama would release his long form birth certificate. Look how well that turned out.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »

I'm sure he'll come up with some excuse why he believes Hawaii officials now after the Romney campaign tells him to back off. Remember even Brewer vetoed the idiotic Birther bill.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »

This is ridiculous.

Everyone, including the Arizona Secretary of State, knows full well Obama will be on the ballot.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 03:32:18 PM »

I wonder if another candidate would promise his/her electors to Obama in exchange for influence/notoriety if Obama were dropped from the AZ ballot.

...only if a Supreme Court decision declared that election of the President could never be guaranteed as a free and competitive process. Otherwise it is a high-risk action that might
lead to a disputed election.  I can't see any language in the Constitution that guarantees that States must elect the President through fair process; what would stop a State from determining how it casts its votes based on something so suspect as a coin toss, let alone a decree of the Governor?

Such would make a travesty of the idea of the President as an elected leader. The President's credibility would be suspect upon inauguration, as would any VP. The person who did that could easily find himself in the legal position of Rod Blagojevich.

I don't know how effective a formal non-partisan treatment of the electoral process would work. Non-partisan like the election of the Supreme Court of Michigan? In practice the parties all but endorse the judges.

wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2012, 04:37:29 PM by wildfood »

It seems that Arizona is the new Mississippi.

Why is it that they produce so many nuts?

Seriously, Joe Arpaio, the tarmac governor, the guy who shot Gabrielle Giffords...

Is the sun too much for these folks?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »

It seems that Arizona is the new Mississippi.

Why is it that they produce so many nuts?

Seriously, Joe Arpaio, the tarmac governor, the guy who shot Gabrielle Giffords...

Is the sun too much for these folks?

On the plus side, Arizona did produce Mo Udall.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »

They should also ask for his birth or naturalization certificate: I would strongly doubt Arizona law would allow a non-citizen of the US to be their secretary of state, so, unless he can prove he is a citizen, he might not be eligible for his current job. It would be incumbent on Hawaii to check.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 12:14:11 AM »

LOL

Did they ask for the long version of his birth certificate, and a newspaper announcing his birth?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 12:22:47 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2012, 12:26:25 AM by ag »

Well, it seems this guy claims to be born in Tucson. I wouldn't believe any birth certificate issued in that area of the world: too easy for Mexicans to bribe midwives or even hospitals to record their birth north of the border, even if it really happened, say, somewhere in Chihuahua (there are, I believe, quite a few people who look and pray like that Bennet guy in those parts of Mexico).  So, I would ask for witnesses, who were present at delivery. And I would want at least two of those to be of native Hawaiian heritage.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »

LOL

Did they ask for the long version of his birth certificate, and a newspaper announcing his birth?
That would only prove some person of that name was born in Tucson some time. He also needs to prove he is that person. I don't think it's too much to ask for dna samples of himself and all his alleged family.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 03:57:03 AM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 09:24:55 AM »

Arizona Officially Accepts Obama's Birth Record

Published May 23, 2012

HONOLULU— –  The State of Arizona has officially accepted President Barack Obama's birth records, ending a highly publicized, and highly controversial, "fishing trip" by Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Arizona state officials.

The announcement on Tuesday, by Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett, that he has received information from Hawaii that proves President Obama's American birth and satisfies Arizona's requirements for having the president on the upcoming election ballot, reports azcentral.com, putting an end to a nearly three-month back and forth that Arizona officials said could have ended without the incumbent's name on its November ballot.

Joshua Wisch, special assistant to Hawaii Attorney General David Louie, told The Associated Press in an email late Tuesday that the matter is resolved after Hawaii gave Arizona the verification it was looking for.

Hawaii — which has vouched for Obama's birth in the state several times as early as October 2008 — didn't bow to the request easily. The Aloha State told Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett he had to prove he needed the records as part of normal business.

Wisch says Hawaii got what it needed, so it gave Bennett's office the verification.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/05/23/arizona-officially-accepts-obama-birth-record/#ixzz1vhdrz4zm
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies