Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:02:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum is a lunatic, Part 10,568  (Read 13039 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: February 09, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »

One Santorum remark is worth 1000 lapsed Catholics.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »

I don't believe it's necessary for my state to expand a highway... am I therefore exempt from paying my taxes?

If you don't want to live in our society... go hop on a frickin boat and the entire Religious Right can find an island and live in Jesusland for the rest of their god damn lives.  Healthcare plans are there to cover medical needs... contraception being one of them.  

I can't believe the real meat of what Santorum was saying seems to have escaped the discussion.  It's the old standby from the conservative right... that totalitarian, authoritarianism, fascism, etc. etc.... are what you get when you apply secularism to society.   Well listen here morons, just because your empty, ignorant mind needs stupid fairy tales to teach you right from wrong doesn't mean the rest of us can't try to build a society where we do good things for each other for the sole sake of, oh I don't know, actually doing good things for people.  

Sorry if this comes off as a general rant against religion and it's followers, but I have a hard time keeping in my hostility in check when it comes to little weasels like Frothy.

Great post.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's not single payer, sir. It's an individual mandate. Everyone is required to pay for contraception.

It covers any and all church employees who are involved in these institutions. There, again are nuns that are falling under the mandate. There is significant overlap between those employed by the Church and by these institutions. Not to mention the fact that the law is outright unconstitutional in restricting religious freedoms guaranteed by the constitution.

The Church has already said that we are not going to comply.

Again, not so. Contraceptive use has increased the abortion rate. Abortions today are far higher than they were in the past. Contraception is not perfect, and when contraception fails, couples are far more likely to undertake Abortion.

The rate today is 10x what it was. Dr. Nathanson himself has testified before congress that doctors prior to legalization performed illegal abortions much the same as they do now. What has changed is that there is significant government support for abortion and the entire industry and legalization has opened the floodgates.

As for complications - do you really want to enter this debate? There are plenty of complications arising from legal clinics which in most states are not required to undertake inspections commenserate with their status as surgical clinics.

Then why are you forcing people who disagree with you to fund things that you believe in? Isn't that contrary to pragmatism? It squares up straight with idealism.

It kills unborn children.

Just like killing an infant is not the same as killing an adolescent.

So when does life begin? Where is this bright line between ok and not ok to kill?

Contraception does NOT increase the rate of abortion. I don't know where you get that idea.

Oh wait, I do know.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »

Couple things here. National defense is a constitutional obligation of the government. Providing contraception? No. The government does have the power to fund the military that does not exist for many. many other things that the government does. Again, going back to the constitution.

Why must we follow the strict constructionist view of the Constitution?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 09:39:45 AM »

Because it's logical? Arguing that the constitution can mean whatever you want it to mean renders the constitution meaningless.

Do you honestly think that the "Founding Fathers" were able to account for the issues that would come up 200+ years after they wrote it?

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies