official Iowa Democratic results thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:12:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  official Iowa Democratic results thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: official Iowa Democratic results thread  (Read 36433 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

« on: January 03, 2008, 09:56:43 PM »

Guys ... do you really think 7 delegates matter that much?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »

A HUGE defeat for Clinton, especially if she closes in third place below that 30 point threshold. If she cannot win even second place among only Democrats in Iowa, how can she possibly beat the Republicans in November?

Are you talking about realistically or in terms of "this is how things will be framed by the media"?

I agree it will be media framed as such.  Realistically though, the caucuses are a weird event and with things like Kucinich telling his people to go to Obama if they can't get a majority for him, the #'s are sorta skewed.  New Hampshire will be a straight up vote and likely more representative.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:07:53 PM »

Obama 860
 Edwards 691
 Clinton 681
 Richardson 49
 Biden 22
 Uncommitted 3
 Dodd 1
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:09:26 PM »

Question to the guys who dislike Hillary ... why?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:11:06 PM »

Iowa is presently unavailable (something about a caucus).  I'm asking the folks on this board why they dislike her.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:17:40 PM »

Ok ... so basically the answers I got to why this board doesn't like Hillary were:

*Don't ask
*Ask Iowa
*She's evil
*Not liberal enough

Hmmm ... answers 1 & 2 are the answers you get from a 7 year old when you ask them why they dislike the color green.  The "not liberal enough" argument is a valid argument, but do you really think a "more liberal" candidate is likely to appeal more to the center?

The "evil" argument ... are you kidding me man?  You gotta back that one up.  Otherwise one could say that Mr Rogers, the A-Team, and Mars bars are evil.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »

The polls showed Edwards doing better in the general election.

And we all know how good polls are.  They showed us Kerry and Gore victories.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 10:24:23 PM »

The "evil" argument ... are you kidding me man?

Yes, that was obviously a joke. You know, humor, haha funny.

Also, while she may or may not be evil I do contend that she's a bitch and she should stop calling for the government to regulate my video games dammit! Tongue

One never knows about the "evil" comment.  In 2000 a dead serious Republican told me he would never vote for Al Gore because Al Gore is "evil in every way".
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »

Congrats to Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel for being irrelevant.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 10:32:30 PM »

Hey, Wes Clark is in that crowd ... I was wondering what happened to him.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 10:34:41 PM »

Poor Bill. He should have told her to not run in the first place. He knows what's coming next even if she doesn't.

You know the reality is that if she gets elected he will really be the President.  It may sound sexist, but I think they both know that he's the smarter and more charismatic one.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »

The Android is talking like everybody was too afraid to tell her she ended up in a distant third place, most especially her speech writer(s).

Distant?  1/2% is distant?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 10:37:35 PM »

Poor Bill. He should have told her to not run in the first place. He knows what's coming next even if she doesn't.

You know the reality is that if she gets elected he will really be the President.  It may sound sexist, but I think they both know that he's the smarter and more charismatic one.

Smarter? I doubt it. Hillary is much smarter. He's just more charismatic.

You think?  Interesting considering that Kissinger, Greenspan, and just about every Executive adviser who interacted with every modern President all have said they considered Bill to be the smartest President with whom they worked.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »

The Android is talking like everybody was too afraid to tell her she ended up in a distant third place, most especially her speech writer(s).

Distant?  1/2% is distant?

She finished nearly ten points behind Obama. She finished third. Come on...

Yep, Edwards finished 9.5 points behind Obama.  Typically when one says "distant third" they are saying there was a huge gap between 2 and 3.  It would be fair to say that Richardson finished a distant 4th.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 10:42:12 PM »

P.S. Chuck Norris, what are you doing? This has gotten absurd

Norris's wife keeps checking out Huckabee's butt.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 10:44:42 PM »

Why does Clinton get more delegates than Edwards? That doesn't make sense at all...

Probably she won in more populous areas.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 10:57:03 PM »

Final thoughts before I call it a night here.

1 - Mitt Romney is probably sitting in a hotel room tonight having a "Dodgeball" moment. "Friggin' Chuck Norris ....."

2 - The caucuses are a weird thing, especially on the Democrat side.  It isn't a standard straw poll and there is a lot of wheeling and dealing.  Kucinich explicitly told his people that if they couldn't get a majority for him they should switch to Obama.

3 - The dislike of Hillary on this board by people with red avatars is interesting.  I find it almost ridiculous actually.  Especially since no one can explain their dislike aside from one comment that she isn't liberal enough.  Keep in mind guys, that is the attitude which landed us with George Bush in 2000.  Since it seems likely that I'll be spending a good part of '08 and '09 in Europe I can only ask you guys to please not screw up the country again like you did in '00 and '04.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 11:01:09 PM »

3 - The dislike of Hillary on this board by people with red avatars is interesting.  I find it almost ridiculous actually.  Especially since no one can explain their dislike aside from one comment that she isn't liberal enough.

Every single time Hillary opens her mouth, I feel like it sounds like a calculated, focus-group tested comment.  She gives off this strong "typical slimy politician" vibe that I don't get one bit from Obama.

In 2000 that was said about being the difference between Gore and Bush.  And look how well that turned out for us.  Ok, I'm finally out.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 09:40:57 AM »

3 - The dislike of Hillary on this board by people with red avatars is interesting.  I find it almost ridiculous actually.  Especially since no one can explain their dislike aside from one comment that she isn't liberal enough.

Every single time Hillary opens her mouth, I feel like it sounds like a calculated, focus-group tested comment.  She gives off this strong "typical slimy politician" vibe that I don't get one bit from Obama.

In 2000 that was said about being the difference between Gore and Bush.  And look how well that turned out for us.  Ok, I'm finally out.
No, in 2000 the difference was that every Bush comment sounded like a calculated, focus-group tested comment that he couldn't quite get straight despite having practiced it in front of the mirror for several hours.
That's because that's what it was.

LT, I don't know if you were in the US in 2000.  I spent the year traveling for work and, by chance, was in Austin on election night (a truly bizarre experience for a liberal political junkie such as myself).

Conversations which I had with people in PA, in TX, and all over the country usually went along the lines that most people agreed that Gore was smarter than Bush but they all were confident that Bush would "surround himself with a good team".  7 years later that seems hilarious but that was the mentality.

More importantly though, I repeatedly heard that Gore was robotic and boring but that Bush was "real" and "inspiring".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies