Poll: Queen Elizabeth II hospitalized. Is it time for her to abdicate? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 12:39:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Poll: Queen Elizabeth II hospitalized. Is it time for her to abdicate? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Queen Elizabeth II hospitalized.  Is it time for her to abdicate?
Yes

No

Don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Poll: Queen Elizabeth II hospitalized. Is it time for her to abdicate?  (Read 10678 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 12, 2013, 10:12:08 PM »

This. Abdication is incredibly, incredibly shameful in the culture of the British monarchy. The worst case option would presumably be a prince-regency.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:10:16 AM »

Winfield has this really strange way of seeming like he's arguing in bad faith even on issues where I can't think of any conceivable reason for him so to do.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »

You will have to excuse me, but I was under the impression that the Divine Right of Kings, or queens in this case, died out in the 16th century.

This discussion is really thought provoking.

The Divine Right of Kings as an explicit political theory was developed around the sixteenth century in England. Did you mean seventeenth?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:38:08 PM »

Yes, it is. She reminds me of Speaker Boehner. Despite the approval from both the House of Lords & House of Commons, she still refused to pass the equal rights bill for gays throughout the Commonwealth. She's just asking for something to happen to her & her incredibly frail husband Prince Philip.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Welcome to the forum.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 01:20:35 PM »

I will point out to this forum that, all things being equal, it is more the responsibility of the father of the children, rather than one of the grandmothers, to console the children after the loss of their mother.

Because you obviously know the ins and outs of how the British royal family relate to one another emotionally, as this entire thread has made abundantly clear.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

'Whence' already means 'from where' or 'from which'. I would recommend changing 'whence' to 'which' if you want to keep 'from', or removing 'from' if you want to keep 'whence'.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »

Note to the grammar snob, if Prince Charles at that time was in the position of turning over the  consoling of his sons to their grandmother, then that speaks volumes about his character, and he is truly unfit to become king.

That first comma should perhaps be a colon.

And no it doesn't. My cousin Joe would probably be considerably more poorly-equipped to console his children, or much of anybody, if something happened to their mother than would my aunt and uncle, because Joe's personality does not lend itself well to helping others deal with grief on that level. Yet Joe is not an unfit father or a bad man.

Again, you clearly know a ton about the members of this family relate to one another. Overwrought Diana-worship is unbelievably tiresome.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »

You have completely ignored my statement, all things being equal.

Because it's irrelevant, since these are specific people, not hypothetical constructs.

Why do you care?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »

Because it's irrelevant, since these are specific people, not hypothetical constructs.

Why do you care?

Why do you care about what Winfield says?

Nothing better to do for at least another half-hour or so.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »

Why do you care?

Why do you care about what Winfield says?

Nothing better to do for at least another half-hour or so.

I take it there is no paint drying nearby you could watch?

Sadly no.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »

The statement, all things being equal is completely relevant.

Having the requisite qualities, such as strength or ability, for a task or situation.

I am sorry you fail to realize how this fits into this particular situation.

And please, anybody, if you wish to watch paint dry, please feel free to do so.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.  However, I can only imagine what kind of a mentality it would take to sit there, or stand there, and watch paint dry.  Personally, my mind is too advanced to be of a mind set to watch paint dry, but hey, if your mind finds that sort of thing to be to your satisfaction, and if it satisfies the level of your intellectual curiosity, then by all means, go for it I say.  I won't think any less of you should you undertake the activity of watching paint dry.

You've stopped making any sense even on your own terms. Have fun wallowing in self-congratulatory nonsense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies