Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:11:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"  (Read 165097 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »

Anyway, the wedding is over and the bride and groom are off on their weekend honeymoon.  They're just staying at a hotel in Oklahoma City, I think for the weekend and taking a trip later.

As for my first time, I did not stutter at all, my voice was clear and confident and loud enough to project without a mic (we don't have lapel mics in our church), although my hands were shaking due to the nervousness.  The entire ceremony only lasted 20 minutes and the reception was over by 2030.  Everyone has told me I did a great job, but what was most important, the bride was happy.  That's all that matters!  The second thing that matters is the groom was happy.  The third thing that matters is the bride's father was happy!

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »

Bushie needs to get drunk and bang a bridesmaid and tell us about it. We need more entertainment here.

I have this feeling it'll be a dry wedding tonight that he's attending. I couldn't imagine anything worse.

This being a church, there will be no alcohol at the reception.

Most churches have alcohol in the service.

Not this one.  We are a very conservative and very traditional church, so no alcohol allowed on church grounds at any time.

That's neither 'very conservative' nor 'very traditional'.

It's certainly not traditional in any respect, but I would associate it with being very politically conservative.

Touché.

Anyway, the wedding is over and the bride and groom are off on their weekend honeymoon.  They're just staying at a hotel in Oklahoma City, I think for the weekend and taking a trip later.

Do you know where they're going for their trip?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If three things ranked in descending order matter, why is the first of them 'all that matters'?

Does it matter whether or not the bride's mother or the groom's parents were happy? If not, why not?

Of course the rest of the family matters, but the most important is the bride and groom as it is THEIR wedding, not their families.  Plus, usually, the wedding is more focused on the bride than the groom, although both are equal.  I put the bride's father as third because this is his little girl he's giving away.  The rest of the family would be fourth encompassing the bride's mother, groom's parents, both sets of grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, children, cousins, etc.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »

Plus, have you heard the saying "if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy?"  In this instance the bride is Momma.  If the boss isn't happy, nobody else matters!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2013, 10:38:24 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Plus, have you heard the saying "if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy?"  In this instance the bride is Momma.  If the boss isn't happy, nobody else matters!

Well, yeah, if the bride is unhappy, it doesn't matter if everybody else is over the moon; I entirely agree with that. But saying that if the bride is happy that's all that matters is...

Never mind. I knew more or less what you meant. What I'm more concerned with is the emphasis you're placing on the bride's father, which I think is a lot more questionable than that which you're placing on the bride. The other family members at any wedding are giving their little girl and/or boy away as well. (If you construct the wedding as the formation of a new family. If you construct it as the fusion of two existing families, nobody's giving anybody away in the same sense, although obviously there are still reasons for mixed emotions.)

I've never heard that saying before, actually. I like it. I won't adopt it because it doesn't fit into my speech patterns, but I like it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2013, 10:39:09 PM »

Now that Saturday is over, I still have a busy Sunday, as well!  First off, I have church in the morning from 1000-1230, then a birthday party for my cousin's son (my Pastor Cousin's nephew) from 1300-1630.  After the birthday party, I have a dinner with my Kenya team at 1730 at a restaurant in Oklahoma City.  I will go ahead and get this out there, that I won't be too worried about a diet tomorrow evening.  I won't go hog wild, but I'm going to enjoy myself and I will get a diet soda if available, if not iced tea.  I should be home by 2000.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »

Well, yeah, if the bride is unhappy, it doesn't matter if everybody else is over the moon; I entirely agree with that. But saying that if the bride is happy that's all that matters is...

Never mind. I knew more or less what you meant. What I'm more concerned with is the emphasis you're placing on the bride's father, which I think is a lot more questionable than that which you're placing on the bride. The other family members at any wedding are giving their little girl and/or boy away as well. (If you construct the wedding as the formation of a new family. If you construct it as the fusion of two existing families, nobody's giving anybody away in the same sense, although obviously there are still reasons for mixed emotions.)

I've never heard that saying before, actually. I like it. I won't adopt it because it doesn't fit into my speech patterns, but I like it.

To be honest, the bride's father emphasis was exclusive to this wedding.  The bride's mother is not in her life, any more.  I can't remember if its from divorce or death.  The groom's parents, who were both there, should probably be put into the same level as the bride's father, with the grandparents and the rest of the family after that.  The bride's father just stuck out to me as I've known him for a long time as well and he told me personally as everybody was leaving the reception "Thank you!  If my baby is happy, I'm happy!".  It wasn't elevating him over the groom's parents, but he just stuck out to me more than the groom's parents.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2013, 10:51:28 PM by BushKenya »

I also found out the groom's side of the family are Seminole-Creek Indian.  Which, according to the groom's father, is a close relative of the Potawatomi, which is my tribe.

This makes sense as if you look at a county map, Pottawatomie County is the county right next door to Seminole County on the west.  Pott county as it's also called, is right next to Oklahoma County on the SE side of OK County.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2013, 11:41:31 PM »

I also found out the groom's side of the family are Seminole-Creek Indian.  Which, according to the groom's father, is a close relative of the Potawatomi, which is my tribe.

This makes sense as if you look at a county map, Pottawatomie County is the county right next door to Seminole County on the west.  Pott county as it's also called, is right next to Oklahoma County on the SE side of OK County.

Bushie the Seminole are from Florida
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »

I also found out the groom's side of the family are Seminole-Creek Indian.  Which, according to the groom's father, is a close relative of the Potawatomi, which is my tribe.

Bushie the Seminole are from Florida

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2013, 01:54:32 AM »

You know what's hilarious is Inks gave me death points for saying Bushie was a false a preacher in a false non-Christian church of hatred. When I got in a PM argument over it, I backed it up by pointing out the exact same things he raves about now, and Inks defended the hell out of Bushie.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2013, 05:11:31 AM »

Bushie the title of this season hurts my eyes. Can you change it?  Thx.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2013, 05:25:57 AM »

The entire ceremony only lasted 20 minutes and the reception was over by 2030.

The reception lasted 17 years???
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2013, 05:28:22 AM »

Nothing to stop you from putting in your own subject line for all of your own posts on this thread.  Maybe this can be a "choose your own adventure" Update season, where everybody picks their own title.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2013, 05:46:21 AM »

Nothing to stop you from putting in your own subject line for all of your own posts on this thread.  Maybe this can be a "choose your own adventure" Update season, where everybody picks their own title.

Of course But I prefer a more permanent solution.  How about just "Oh My"?  That seems to sum up this thread perfectly anyway.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2013, 09:25:23 AM »

Wow, the reception only lasted 90 minutes? I guess a reception without alcohol is just unbearably boring.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2013, 09:44:51 AM »

I made some questionable decisions concerning the bride's sister last night at that wedding. Good thing it's over now.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »

Wow, the reception only lasted 90 minutes? I guess a reception without alcohol is just unbearably boring.
90 minutes seems fine to me. My cousin had an elaborate big fudging deal wedding a few years ago, and I found it in very poor taste. Supremely masturbatory.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »

What a horrible honeymoon, of course they probably believe they are in the greatest place on earth. Tongue
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »

I'll respond to everyone later, as I'm late for church, but as of this morning, I lost 1.8 lbs since yesterday, 11.2 lbs total, for a weight of 263.8!!
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2013, 10:46:04 AM »

I really don't get this weird fixation everyone seems to have about alcohol at weddings. Is it really that big a deal?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2013, 10:59:56 AM »

I really don't get this weird fixation everyone seems to have about alcohol at weddings. Is it really that big a deal?

^^^^^
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »

That sounds like the lamest wedding ever.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »

Wow, several posts with Inks in the hot seat.  I can't say that I'm too disappointed by it!  Haha, Inks, you're a good friend.  Much of what you say flies in one ear and out the other, but even though I defend myself, I know deep down you only want the best for me.  Same goes with the rest of you.  Sometimes, it is very hard to take, but you are a good friend, Inks.  I feel blessed every day I come onto the forum.  Again, the criticism is hard to take, and sometimes I try to rebut, but I know you all only want the best for me.  That's why I play along on occasion and come back with some admittedly weak humorous zingers.

Alright, Jeff... I quit... If you want to keep living the way you're doing.  That's fine by me.  When you're dead from whatever kills you at a young age, I'm not going to care.  I've tried; I give up.  But some day, you're going to have to explain your actions, and that won't be so pleasant.  Have a nice life.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #198 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »

Why does he equate taking advice as an insult? There's nothing wrong with being wrong and hearing differences of opinions. That's why it's so silly when Bushie says he doesn't listen to anything we say to him. That's probably why he is where he is today.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »

I don't get the insistence that a wedding must be an orgy of conspicuous consumption. I doubt very much these people have any money. Nothing wrong with living within your means. They got a friend to officiate at their little church and theu'll spend the evening downtown.  Sounds simple but nice. I wish them well.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies