Official Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:37:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Official Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Official Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Discussion Thread  (Read 62942 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »

Ron Paul's local activists are out in full force. I just got my mail. I see an envelope with a "Ron Paul 2008" sticker in the center, a "Ron Paul for President" stamp to the left and my name, my Mom's name and my Dad's name and our address written at the top with some lit inside.

This is the stuff that worries me. Republicans have no other reason to turn out in PA (at least in my area) because we have a bunch of uncontested races. This means they may be able to pull in some disgruntled Republicans and do fairly well up here. Anyone have the phone number to John McCain for Pennsylvania? I'm going to need some material...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 06:39:03 PM »

I had a lit drop for the Democratic candidate for state treasurer.  Nothing for the presidential candidates. 

Who was it for? Cordisco? I think he's going to score a huge victory here (since he's party chair in Bucks and seems to have some good connections with the Philly leadership). McCord is from Montco but doesn't seem visible at all. Cordisco's signs are all over the place in the NE. Jenn Mann, a State Representative from the Lehigh Valley, should do well everywhere else as Cordisco and McCord battle in the SE.

Basically, whoever wins the primary is the next Treasurer since we're running an embarrassment that I refuse to vote for. I have no preference in the Dem primary though I think I'd prefer Cordisco or Mann.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6a84KgJtt8
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »

http://grassrootspa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/casey_-_obama_endorsement2.pdf

If they have something similar on cars in my church parking lot, I will take them down. Bob Brady had his people put stuff on the cars last year during the Mayoral primary while he attended mass at my parish last year. I sat down with my pastor about it and he agreed that it was out of line/didn't know he was even coming. This time I won't simply complain.

I also just found out that Primary day in my area won't be as quiet as I thought it would be and it affects me personally. Keep an ear out for it in the local political news, J.J....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »

http://grassrootspa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/casey_-_obama_endorsement2.pdf

If they have something similar on cars in my church parking lot, I will take them down. Bob Brady had his people put stuff on the cars last year during the Mayoral primary while he attended mass at my parish last year. I sat down with my pastor about it and he agreed that it was out of line/didn't know he was even coming. This time I won't simply complain.

I also just found out that Primary day in my area won't be as quiet as I thought it would be and it affects me personally. Keep an ear out for it in the local political news, J.J....

Good find, Keystone Phil. Does anyone know what "pro-gun legislation" Obama is sponsoring? According to this flier, State Rep. Dan Surra is backing Obama on this issue.

First, how could a state representative  be "backing" federal legislation? Second, when did Barack Obama become Mr. Gun Rights?

I'm not familiar with what you're talking about. I'm guessing Surra (who is from a rural area) has simply voiced his support for a piece of federal legislation just as Obama opposed the federal actions concerning the war in Iraq as a State Senator.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »

Auditor General and western PA political powerhouse Jack Wagner backs Obama - http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2008/04/auditor_general_wagner_will_en.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 10:42:01 AM »

Steelers owner Dan Rooney endorses Obama - http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/election/s_562310.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 10:46:51 AM »

Is the "powerhouse" part sarcasm, for those of us who don't know Pennsylvania? Wink

No. Wagner is pretty strong out there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 10:57:41 AM »

Is the "powerhouse" part sarcasm, for those of us who don't know Pennsylvania? Wink

No. Wagner is pretty strong out there.

Onorato is going to find out how strong when it's time to start announcing plans to run for Governor.

Haha, yeah. That'll be fun to watch.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 11:34:32 AM »

Delegate Analysis - http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docID=news-000002703375&cpage=1

And, as usual, PA 13 is the center of the political universe, described as one of the most competitive districts in the state.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »

Not to spoil the fun, but if yard signs were an accurate measurement of much other than local organization, Kerry would have broken 95% in my precinct.

And you don't live in a major machine city. Yes, stuff like yard signs do matter, to an extent, in our city. It shows organization and excitment. It's proof that North Philly ward leaders aren't going to be crazy for Obama.

I will say, though, that I have seen quite a few Obama signs on lawns and in windows around Temple. I drive through Hillary Country to get to the campus though - Fishtown - an old blue collar community (though starting to see an influence by young progressives). Her signs are everywhere (along with the local union boss who is running for State Senator). I then cross into a Puerto Rican neighborhood which ought to be strong for Hillary but as I get closer to school, you see all Obama signs and nothing for Hillary.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 10:57:05 PM »

That's true...I keep forgetting that you people have fliers and street games and stuff like that.  It's so weird to think that stuff still exists...

Campaign signs are illegal in most of my world. Putting them up enrages folks.

Every cycle we go through something similar. People tend to hate signs since they usually clutter the traffice medians. They become a real eye soar but as someone who is politically involved, I like putting some up. We've been going back and forth with whether or not they're even legal but it is the same every year - put up the signs, have the opposition tear them down and repeat.

Signs on private property aren't exactly common here but a decent amount of people have them. I've had one up for every election since 2003. Then again, I'm a whole different case.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 07:06:58 PM »

I saw AFSCME workers out for Hillary in the blue collar area near Temple. I was going door to door today (for someone else obviously) and saw Hillary's people have been out. Their lit has Hillary and Rendell on it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »

It could be an indication of a weak ground game in Phila.  No lit yet.

I was in West Philly today to pick up some material for Election day (for my job). I saw a few Obama signs but just as many Hillary signs. Across the street from where I picked up my material was this shack covered in Obama signs and music blasting from the speakers. It was some rap song about Obama changing the world. That's all the was said...over and over and over again. Oh, and something about McCain being Bush or something like that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 10:04:55 PM »

Just saw Obama's latest ad on gas prices. Like his other gas ad, this one targets blue collar voters. It's a very simple ad - a bunch of union guys (and a few women) talking about the need to lower gas prices, how Obama doesn't take money from big oil, etc. The setting - gas stations, of course.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »

Well, it's the weekend before the big day and I'm in Philly so you know it's chaos.  Smiley

I saw a few people out who were clearly canvassing for a candidate. I'm 90% sure it was for Obama. I saw two of them entering my precinct which is a total waste of time. I'd be shocked if Obama does well here...though we do have a good number of young couples in the neighborhood...

My prediction for Tuesday:

Hillary - 56%
Obama - 44%
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »

That canvass must have been for Hillary. I just returned from mass and saw two new Hillary signs up on lawns. There are no Obama yard signs.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »

Obama's rally in Philly on Friday was the biggest of his campaign - 30,000 people in attendance. And to think that I was considering going down...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »

Am I right in thinking that Philly and its suburban counties tend to report earlier than the rest of the state?

Dave

As others have said, yes, this is the case so don't start thinking Obama won big around 8:45 tomorrow night.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2008, 11:30:01 PM »

Only Catherine Baker Knoll. I love this woman - http://www.postgazette.com/downloads/20080421BakerKnollWeb.mp3
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »

Hillary visited my friend's polling place (just a few minutes up the street from mine)! Could you imagine if she stopped at mine?  Wink

Anyway, turnout is good. So far, about 140 total voters at my precinct (with maybe ten of them being Republicans) out of 530 registered Dems. Hillary is going to kick ass here. I found out my Dem committeeman definitley won't vote for Obama if he's the nominee.  Smiley

Things are also looking good in my race, too.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2008, 11:20:02 PM »

Hillary winning Montco. Wow.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2008, 11:25:02 PM »

Oh wow! Great!

Here's where the big boys discuss the results and little Zach resorts to, "Haha, you got owned!" We're thinking of putting Zachy in a nice after school program where he can improve on his people skills.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2008, 11:29:23 PM »

Oh wow! Great!

Here's where the big boys discuss the results and little Zach resorts to, "Haha, you got owned!" We're thinking of putting Zachy in a nice after school program where he can improve on his people skills.

You've completely ignored everything else I've posted in the thread then but since I can't expect you to read back more than 30 pages I'll give you a break on that. All I'm saying is that Rob is vindicated there since he barely posts anymore and probably won't be able to say it himself.

Good for him.

Since we're playing "for the record" just to be annoying, my prediction of a twelve point Hillary win is vindicated after her ten point win tonight (while you said she'd only win by six).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 09:56:22 PM »

Does anyone know which precincts are still out in Philly?

I've tried to get post-certification precinct results from them, but I was basically hissed and clawed at.

Was it an old lady?

It's been a couple of years, but most of them are.

LOL

Please don't tell me you really called the City Commissioners the day after the election. Please don't.

Honestly, I think we've been over this before (at least privately). Don't bother trying to get information out of them because they won't give it to you. That's the way it is here. Some of us wish and hope to work to make that better but in the mean time, don't waste your time. It's hard enough getting results even when I have my own contact in the Minority (GOP) Commissioner's office.

As for which precincts may be out, who knows? The machine cartridges (where the actual votes are stored) sometimes get lost on their way downtown. In our close GOP Council At Large race last year, a few precincts were missing and this time, that mattered. It turned out the cartridge fell out of the bag and was under the seat in the police cruiser.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies