What type of Libertarian are you? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:42:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What type of Libertarian are you? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What type of Libertarian are you?  (Read 4166 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: June 27, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »

Hell, why not?
http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=WhatTypeLib
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 08:16:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol, I'm an anarchist!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:00:51 PM »

About half the questions on here made me think the man who authored it would come out more intelligent if you whacked his skull off (though I would disagree with such a remedy on moral grounds Tongue ), but still my result is:

1 Center-North Libertarian
2 Neolibertarian
3 Left-Libertarian
4 Mainstream Libertarian
5 Non-Libertarian
6 Anarchocapitalist
7 Paleolibertarian
8 Right-Libertarian

Depends on your viewpoint. I just thought it would be interesting to see where non-libertarians would place on the libertarian spectrum. I think it's an interesting concept.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »

About half the questions on here made me think the man who authored it would come out more intelligent if you whacked his skull off (though I would disagree with such a remedy on moral grounds Tongue ), but still my result is:

1 Center-North Libertarian
2 Neolibertarian
3 Left-Libertarian
4 Mainstream Libertarian
5 Non-Libertarian
6 Anarchocapitalist
7 Paleolibertarian
8 Right-Libertarian

Depends on your viewpoint. I just thought it would be interesting to see where non-libertarians would place on the libertarian spectrum. I think it's an interesting concept.
...as a concept. The problem is with the loaded questions and the test designer's unquestioned assumptions... as with every one of these tests, of course. In the case of Libertarians, the issue is usually a warped and stunted definition of "liberty" unquestioningly treated as the term's only definition.

I think I got what you're saying now: this test tries to trick people into selecting what the author wants them to select. This problem is actually pretty common in many tests I've taken online.
Plus, this is a test about libertarians by a libertarian, of course there are going to be questions that act like the state is evil (which it is, get used to it) because most radical libertarians are borderline anarchists. Expecting this test not to be loaded with anti-state rhetoric is like expecting not to feel pain at the dentist office.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »

I was harsher than was strictly necesary in my first comment, btw. That may make for comprehension difficulties.

"Free markets, economic interaction and profit motives are indispensable to liberty." What exactly is a "free market"? The thing as theoretically described in economics 101 books is not something that ever has existed or even ever could. "Economic interaction"? Between whom? What kind of economic interaction? Highway robbery is an economic interaction. Some forms of economic interaction are obviously indispensable to any human society, but "liberty" hardly enters the picture. Maybe he meant the unlimited right to economic interactions? Or to economic interactions approved of by all concerned (but those are very many - far more, in major economic transactions, than are given a hearing right now)? Similarly, "profit motives" are just a part of human nature. Acceptance of the fact that most people are in it with a profit motive is a necessary precondition to designing a working, sensible government program. "Liberty" has little to do with it.

Now how the hell do I answer the question with options like "I agree" or "I disagree" or "No opinion"?

You're right, this test leaves alot open to interpretation. I'll be honest some of the questions are pretty vague. Like question #14: "Abraham Lincoln's incompetence is responsible for the War of Northern Aggression." For me I can't agree, disagree, or have no opinion to because I believe that both sides to an extent were responsible for the Civil War and both guilty of moral failure.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies