Why Democrats should fear a second Obama term (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:24:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why Democrats should fear a second Obama term (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Democrats should fear a second Obama term  (Read 4516 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: June 11, 2012, 10:30:24 PM »

How is a slow, incrementally increased retirement age tantamount to the privatization of Social Security?  Given our recent raids of the fund, the unsustainability of increasing costs over the long term and the increased life-expectancies of people, an incremental upward adjustment of the retirement age seems reasonable to me.  Obama would, in my view, by wise to strike a grand bargain--he would have been wiser to embrace Simpson-Bowles, but wisdom obviously hasn't come yet.  In any event, Obama isn't Paul Ryan...just ask Republicans.  Tongue

Well I figure that the present value of my SS benefit if I cashed it out today at a 3% discount rate (for 8 years when I start cashing in per year) is about $275,000, much of it untaxed upon receipt. I just calculated it for kicks. That assumes my life expectancy is to age 84, which was a guess, but probably pretty close. So, you see, with a lot of Tories floating around out there, where this is going?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies