Brazil Presidential and Congressional Elections 2018 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:43:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazil Presidential and Congressional Elections 2018 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brazil Presidential and Congressional Elections 2018  (Read 83491 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: January 13, 2017, 11:47:33 AM »

It's funny Dilma, who got impeached, apparently is eligible to run, but Temer, who became President, has his rights to run for office suspended.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 02:53:41 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 02:57:24 PM »

Any guess as for Fernando's finger smellerVP pick?

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:27:13 AM »

How 'bout we get Artur Bernardes to run again? I know he'd been dead for like forever, but Brazil loves comebacks.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »

Isn't he also being investigated in the Lava Jato case?

He's not left-wing, so the corrupt courts will let him off the hook.

I don't know... from what i googled about him, his cases are still in court and, who knows, he could also be barred from running.

They'll still be in court until the election.

How does it work exactly? I mean Renan was being explicitly removed from the line of succession as Senate President due to being under investigation. But does it apply for those running for office? After all, nobody's "guilty" until found guilty.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 12:24:50 AM »

Edit: Apparently some TSE ministers said that Lula being banned from running is inevitable, and he will probably be officially banned from running in September.

What a convenient timing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 09:39:26 AM »

Well, one has to admit being a left-wing President in Brazil usually lands you in trouble

Getulio Vargas: shot himself with a military coup seeming inevitable
Joao Goulart: deposed by the military
Lula: about to go to jail
Dilma: impeached and removed from office
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 11:05:10 AM »

Establishment politicians who sent Lula to jail and thus paved the way for Bolsonaro are as dumb as their political ancestors who helped depose Goulart, hoping foolishly that once the left is eliminated the military will just cede power back to them. Once you open this door, it'll be very difficult to close it in time.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 06:32:28 AM »

I have zero sympathy for Bolsonaro. I consider him a dangerous and thoroughly evil individual and it would be hypocritical for me to be like "oh, how awful! He may be a fascist PoS, but I feel sorry for his suffering". At the same time I have to acknowledge trying to kill him wouldn't solve the problem he's representing. If anything, the attacker is a useful idiot for Bolsonaro and his allies, who must be very happy right now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »

I have zero sympathy for Bolsonaro. I consider him a dangerous and thoroughly evil individual and it would be hypocritical for me to be like "oh, how awful! He may be a fascist PoS, but I feel sorry for his suffering". At the same time I have to acknowledge trying to kill him wouldn't solve the problem he's representing. If anything, the attacker is a useful idiot for Bolsonaro and his allies, who must be very happy right now.

Hypocritical?

FFS guys, stop acting like "X is an awful person" and "X is a human being so I hope he isn't murdered" are mutually exclusive sentiments.

There's nothing hypocritical in opposing political murders while holding the subject in deepest contempt.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »

Hypocritical?

FFS guys, stop acting like "X is an awful person" and "X is a human being so I hope he isn't murdered" are mutually exclusive sentiments.

There's nothing hypocritical in opposing political murders while holding the subject in deepest contempt.

My second statement wasn't directed at you, I probably should have made that clear...

What I mean is, how is feeling sorry for a terrible person's suffering hypocritical?

OK, I misread you.

As of my post, I have to admit that I have problem mustering sympathy for him, but it doesn't mean I have wished him to suffer.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »

Funny to see how pro-impeachment establishment parties are doin poorly when compared to PT and PDT.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 05:50:01 PM »

Ipobe projects a runoff.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 04:49:13 AM »

I hate voters so much. Why couldn't they have all gone for Silva or Alckmin?

Neoliberal bubble in a nutshell.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »

By locking Lula up the centre-right basically followed their ideological ancestors' footsteps, who, back in 1964, opened the door for the military dictatorship by being primarily concerned with stopping the left. The very least they can do now is to strongly endorse Haddad as, in their view, the "lesser of two evils." But I have very little confidence in the decency of the Brazilian cucklordy.

I didn't expect, even with his late surge, that Haddad would do so well. It's clearly not because of him being a good candidate. As far as presidential results are concerned the voters overwhelmingly rejected the ruling establishment parties in favor of either Bolsonaro or PT/PDT (people didn't vote "for" Haddad, they voted for a Lula's stand-in).

I doubt Bolnosaro's victory can be prevented. The question is how strong anti-Bolsonaro forces are going to be come January.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 07:28:36 PM »

Pro-Bolsonaro rallies happened today across 16 states (and the federal district), at least 57 states had pro-Bolsonaro events.

57 states?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »

I will never complain about differences between Polish polls.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2018, 05:38:43 PM »

A mere thought of Lula's return was so terrifying to the Brazilian "sensible, moderate establishment" they opened a door for a literal fascists.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2018, 07:32:49 PM »

Anyway, there's a case that the biggest concern here isn't even with Bolsonaro, but with his running mate. Scary man.

The 60s called to say they're about to come by.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 03:56:58 PM »

How likely Bolsonaro is to have a workable majority in Congress? I'm asking because not having one proved a deadly politically to some past Presidents, like Quadros or Collor.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 06:30:55 AM »

I have another question. In Poland we're sometimes using a term that can literally be translated as "orphaned by communism". It's referring to people who feel they were better off under the previous system (some just idealizing the past because of disappointment with the present). Now, Bolsonaro was always pretty open about his views on the military regime. Would such nostalgia be one of the factors that contributed to his success?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies