MA: Child Support Act (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:48:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Child Support Act (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Child Support Act (Statute)  (Read 3828 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 11, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »

Can we get the section in there that bans the deadbeat parents from gambling or hunting until they pay their child support payments?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:11:34 PM »

Can we get the section in there that bans the deadbeat parents from gambling or hunting until they pay their child support payments?

Part of the reason Governor, why I removed that whole section was because of how arbitary it was; it makes assumptions about the people who don't make child maintenance payments. Many people who hold down a good well paid job and lead a 'clean' life also fail to pay maintenance. Why single out 'gambling and hunting'; why not betting on greyhounds, drinking at bars, buying liquor or buying cigarettes? It seems a bizzare thing to single out.

That's why I replaced it with the power to suspend a persons driving license; that's a bigger and far more effective hit.

How is gambling bizarre? These are people who are supposed to pay child support payments and are gambling the money they should be giving for the kid. I can live without hunting license being revoked, but not without the gambling measure. My goal here is to get the child support payments paid, this does just that. Sure it doesn't apply to every single person that isn't paying, but it has effects.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »

We discussed suspending drivers' licenses the first time we did this, and agreed that that would probably dod more harm than good, as it greatly reduces people's ability to get to their place of employment (if they have one), especially in areas that lack public transportation.

But you were happy to give them up to 3 years in the slammer? So instead of restricted access to getting to work they were in a position to loose their job? I'm happy to re-instate limitations to the 'gambling' part though I really have no idea why any bill should resort to stereotype. Again I ask the Governor; why make this assumption restrict gambling but not restrict access to liquor which can also drain the wallet?

If the Assembly passes that I'll be fine with, but really the bill as it is is much weaker than the originial, I understand changes, but a lot more can be done.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »

Section 2c. shall read

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies