US House Redistricting: North Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 09:09:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: North Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: North Carolina  (Read 103159 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: November 16, 2013, 05:15:33 AM »

The mapmakers relied on section 5 for their districts. Section 5 was overturned as far as applicability to NC after the maps were drawn and survived a challenge. Is the map now subject to a section 2 challenge having tried to meet the law as it existed at the time?
Apparently the answer to your last sentence is yes and the answer to your second-to-last sentence is technically no - it survived the first court, the case is still technically pending before the state SC however.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #451 on: November 16, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »

The mapmakers relied on section 5 for their districts. Section 5 was overturned as far as applicability to NC after the maps were drawn and survived a challenge. Is the map now subject to a section 2 challenge having tried to meet the law as it existed at the time?
"The length of the district’s perimeter, according to the lawsuit, is 1,319 miles – 'almost precisely the distance from Chapel Hill to Austin, Texas.'"

I read this part as distance from Chappell Hill to Austin, Texas, and thought it can't be more than 100 miles (99.3 miles actually).  1319/100 = 4.19 pi, which is fairly close to 4 pi, the ratio of the circumference of circle squared to its area of a circle.   So how can they call this district non-compact?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #452 on: November 16, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »

Well, it did not 'try' to meet the law; it succeeded in meeting the law. The map was given section V preclearance by the Justice Department.

Their simultaneous complains are quite amusing, though. While complaining that district 1 departs from the prior court drawn and court litigated version of the district, they seem to want to dismantle district 12, which of course cleanly resembles the prior district.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #453 on: November 16, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »

"The length of the district’s perimeter, according to the lawsuit, is 1,319 miles – 'almost precisely the distance from Chapel Hill to Austin, Texas.'"

I read this part as distance from Chappell Hill to Austin, Texas, and thought it can't be more than 100 miles (99.3 miles actually).  1319/100 = 4.19 pi, which is fairly close to 4 pi, the ratio of the circumference of circle squared to its area of a circle.   So how can they call this district non-compact?

The first Rucho Lewis plan had a much smaller perimeter for District 1. It was redrawn, due to the complaints of Democrats.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #454 on: November 17, 2013, 06:31:21 AM »

Yep; the issue was with Durham but not Raleigh being a covered jurisdiction under section 5 IIRC, which made the original plan's adding Raleigh's Black parts to the first district appear riskier in court than the second plan's adding Durham's instead. The chain redrawings necessary to keep everything as safe or safer (or so they thought, McIntyre proving them wrong later) made the map, not just of the first district, look worse.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #455 on: November 17, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2013, 10:24:21 AM by krazen1211 »

Yep; the issue was with Durham but not Raleigh being a covered jurisdiction under section 5 IIRC, which made the original plan's adding Raleigh's Black parts to the first district appear riskier in court than the second plan's adding Durham's instead. The chain redrawings necessary to keep everything as safe or safer (or so they thought, McIntyre proving them wrong later) made the map, not just of the first district, look worse.

I actually lean the opposite way. The first version of the 7th looks easier for McIntyre than the second, although perhaps not for Pantano. But he probably would have won either way, at least in 2012. There are 4 more cracks at it.

The complaints were that random odd black precincts in places like Goldsboro were removed from the 1st. So, they simply redrew the 1st district, and rotated all the GOP districts accordingly.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #456 on: November 17, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »

The complaints were that random odd black precincts in places like Goldsboro were removed from the 1st. So, they simply redrew the 1st district, and rotated all the GOP districts accordingly.
Well, obviously. Adding a whole Black portion of a city to the district, even though it needed to gain population, required skimming some precincts off. Because many of the White precincts are unreachable due to contiguity requirements, that included 50-50ish precincts in already split towns. Swapping Raleigh for Durham I guess meant fewer new urban Blacks (and thus fewer precincts removed) as well, tho' I'd really have to look that up.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #457 on: November 17, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »

The first Rucho Lewis plan had a much smaller perimeter for District 1. It was redrawn, due to the complaints of Democrats.

Yeah, shame on the Democrats for complaining that the original version retrogressed out of several Section 5 counties Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #458 on: November 17, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »

Even with the updated version of CD1, they could have given McIntyre a district stretching to Carteret County. The 13th would be slightly worse for Republicans though, 53.5-46.5 McCain vs. 54.1-45 for the actual one.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #459 on: November 17, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »

There's actually a way to draw a whole county district 7. Unfortunately, it screws up the rest of the map.

If this challenge succeeds, 1 won't be majority-minority anymore, right?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #460 on: November 17, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »

There's actually a way to draw a whole county district 7. Unfortunately, it screws up the rest of the map.

Yeah. Its basically my version minus Bladen, Carteret and Cumberland Counties but it would take in all of Robeson.  
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #461 on: November 17, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »

Yeah. Its basically my version minus Bladen, Carteret and Cumberland Counties but it would take in all of Robeson.  
Wait, really?! What I've been drawing is:
-Columbus
-Brunswick
-Hanover
-Pender
-Onslow
-Carteret
-Jones
-Duplin

There are also a lot of ways to draw whole county district 8s.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #462 on: November 17, 2013, 08:19:13 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2013, 08:23:10 PM by MilesC56 »

-Columbus
-Brunswick
-Hanover
-Pender
-Onslow
-Carteret
-Jones
-Duplin

Your plan is better in terms of deviations; your's is -187, mine is -1146:

You could make CD7 and CD8 whole with your plan:

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #463 on: November 17, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »

-Columbus
-Brunswick
-Hanover
-Pender
-Onslow
-Carteret
-Jones
-Duplin

Your plan is better in terms of deviations; your's is -187, mine is -1146:

It really messes up district 3 though.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #464 on: November 17, 2013, 08:25:34 PM »

Yeah; I don't like what it does to CD3. This is my opinion, but I always like to keep Craven and Carteret counties in the same district.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #465 on: November 17, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »

Yeah; I don't like what it does to CD3. This is my opinion, but I always like to keep Craven and Carteret counties in the same district.
Yeah. I think you even have to put CD3 into Johnston County a little bit, depending on how you do CD1.

Oh, btw, I typically try to put Cumberland, Robeson, Scotland, and Hoke in CD 8. Splitting those from each other is extremely undesirable. Thus, you pretty much have to put Bladen in CD8 if you want whole counties.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #466 on: November 17, 2013, 08:42:47 PM »

Yeah. I think you even have to put CD3 into Johnston County a little bit, depending on how you do CD1.

Oh, btw, I typically try to put Cumberland, Robeson, Scotland, and Hoke in CD 8. Splitting those from each other is extremely undesirable. Thus, you pretty much have to put Bladen in CD8 if you want whole counties.

I agree that Hoke, Scotland and Cumberland should be together (along with Anson and Richmond), but Robeson in CD8? Its been in the district with Brunswick/New Hanover Counties for at least the last century. Robeson belongs in CD7, IMO.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #467 on: November 17, 2013, 09:54:43 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2013, 09:56:42 PM by Sol »

I agree that Hoke, Scotland and Cumberland should be together (along with Anson and Richmond), but Robeson in CD8? Its been in the district with Brunswick/New Hanover Counties for at least the last century. Robeson belongs in CD7, IMO.
IMO, Robeson has to be with Hoke and Scotland- there are significant Lumbee communities in both of those. And Hoke is part of the same UCC as Cumberland. So you have to put them all in the same CD. And you can't really put Fayetteville in with Wilmington in a very pleasing way.

Thus, IMO, any fair map has to put Robeson in CD8.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #468 on: November 17, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »

IMO, Robeson has to be with Hoke and Scotland- there are significant Lumbee communities in both of those. And Hoke is part of the same UCC as Cumberland. So you have to put them all in the same CD. And you can't really put Fayetteville in with Wilmington in a very pleasing way.

Thus, IMO, any fair map has to put Robeson in CD8.

This is the fair map that we came up with a while back:

If it could work with the other districts, something like this would be nice:

Still, even there, you're starting to encroach on Charlotte/the Piedmont. I think being in a district near the coast would be better geographically.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #469 on: November 17, 2013, 10:57:51 PM »

You can also take CD8 into Harnett instead of Moore, or into Stanly and Montgomery.

I definitely like your fair map. But I think Hoke and Robeson really do need to be in the same district. There's definite VRA issues if they aren't. And if CD8 has Hoke, Robeson, and Cumberland, it has to have Bladen if you want a whole county map.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #470 on: November 18, 2013, 03:24:39 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2013, 03:26:14 AM by MilesC56 »

You can also take CD8 into Harnett instead of Moore, or into Stanly and Montgomery.

I definitely like your fair map. But I think Hoke and Robeson really do need to be in the same district. There's definite VRA issues if they aren't. And if CD8 has Hoke, Robeson, and Cumberland, it has to have Bladen if you want a whole county map.

Keeping all the other districts in my fair map intact, the 'quick fix' between 7 and 8 would look something like this:

8 has most of Fayetteville. Since the most of the peripheral precincts around Fayetteville are very large, you could probably split them to give all of Fayetteville to 8 and put the rest of the county in 7.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #471 on: November 18, 2013, 07:23:35 AM »

Using a fair map theory of urban county clusters, Cumberland and Hoke should be entirely within the same district except for microchops. By that measure, I definitely like this version better.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #472 on: November 18, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »

Using a fair map theory of urban county clusters, Cumberland and Hoke should be entirely within the same district except for microchops. By that measure, I definitely like this version better.

The issue with that is that it messes around with the map as a whole. It really screws up CD3, which, depending on how CD1 is drawn, may be forced into the Raleigh suburbs in Johnston and Franklin Counties.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #473 on: November 18, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »

Under that scenario, you could give Johnston/Sampson Counties to CD3 instead of having it reach up to Franklin/Granville Counties:

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #474 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:42 PM »

Under that scenario, you could give Johnston/Sampson Counties to CD3 instead of having it reach up to Franklin/Granville Counties:

Better still why not have CD 1 go into Raleigh as well as Durham and eliminate all those fingers into CD 3? This one reduces county chops to 7.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies