MSNBC: Ted Kennedy has a brain tumor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 06:08:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  MSNBC: Ted Kennedy has a brain tumor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: MSNBC: Ted Kennedy has a brain tumor  (Read 6784 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »

It may have escaped your notice but Ted Kennedy isn't actually dead yet.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »

And they should not have been said.  You can be critical of the man, but have some respect.
I did, I said I didn't wish death on him, but that he shouldn't be placed on the pedestal that he is.  He did some terrible things in his life, including a young woman her life
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »

DWTL is the strongest case for birth control that I've seen in awhile.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2008, 07:44:42 PM »

Well thank you Smiley, just remember that I oppose the morning after pill
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »

It's OK to make fun of people as long as they can't read it because they are dead or in a coma.  It's in Proverbs somewhere
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2008, 07:48:44 PM »

It's OK to make fun of people as long as they can't read it because they are dead or in a coma.  It's in Proverbs somewhere
Well then I guess technically Ted Kennedy is ripe for the picking
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2008, 08:41:02 PM »

And they should not have been said.  You can be critical of the man, but have some respect.
I did, I said I didn't wish death on him, but that he shouldn't be placed on the pedestal that he is.  He did some terrible things in his life, including a young woman her life
You realize her death was an accident, and that he nearly drowned trying to save her until he couldn't physically continue without dying himself, right?

Or are you just apathetic to the facts?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2008, 09:55:41 PM »

Nothing quite so sad as twelve year old drunks. Terrible. I blame the parents.

Speaking of twelve year old drunks ... (link)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2008, 10:58:47 PM »

Ok, the attacks on DWTL aside...

To say that what happened to Mary Jo Kopechne is simply "nonsense" is beyond disgusting. The fact that that hasn't been addressed yet by anyone besides DWTL is disappointing yet not surprising at all.

I certainly take no pleasure in hearing this news but at the same time, I can't say that I am distraught. I was genuinely saddened when Paul Wellstone died. He was my least favorite Senator at the time but I had great respect for the man, politically and personally. I can't say I have the same respect for Ted Kennedy. I'll just say that he, like all of us, will have to answer to God when his time comes.

In the meantime, best of luck to the Senator and his family in this difficult time.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 12:18:32 AM »

To say that what happened to Mary Jo Kopechne is simply "nonsense" is beyond disgusting. The fact that that hasn't been addressed yet by anyone besides DWTL is disappointing yet not surprising at all.

No, the idea that he murdered Kopechne or willingly let her die is nonsense.

I admit that I said bad stuff about Falwell after his death, but I'd like dwtl to find any comarison between the two men. Find anything Kennedy said that in any way compares with the hate-filled, disgusting rants of Falwell.

As for Ted, I hope he spends his final year of life happy and content with his achievements.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2008, 12:20:40 AM »

I certainly take no pleasure in hearing this news but at the same time, I can't say that I am distraught. I was genuinely saddened when Paul Wellstone died. He was my least favorite Senator at the time but I had great respect for the man, politically and personally. I can't say I have the same respect for Ted Kennedy. I'll just say that he, like all of us, will have to answer to God when his time comes.

In the meantime, best of luck to the Senator and his family in this difficult time.

That's a pretty reasonable response, I think, Phil.  Unlike you, I obviously love Ted Kennedy's politics.  But I have always been deeply troubled by his lack of remorse over his role in the death of that poor girl. When Teddy led the cheers at the 1988 Democratic convention shouting, "Where was George?" in reference to the first President Bush...some signs popped up at the GOP convention saying, "George was at home.  Sober.  And with his wife."  Which I thought was a pretty darn good response.  At the very least, young Ted Kennedy was negligent in the death of Miss Kopechne and if it had been someone other than a well-monied politician, there would have been fines and possible jail time involved.  Don't think I take pleasure in saying it.  Kennedy has been an almost prophetic voice for justice and all the things I believe in.  But I refuse to parse words on the matter, just because he has done what I feel is morally right SINCE the tragedy.

Having said all that, let me now turn to the complete nincompoops and flaccid little wimps who are posting here and -- seriously now -- posting Mary Jo Kopechne RIP signs right here in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  It boggles the mind. You people don't give two sh*ts about Mary Jo Kopechne, personal responsibility or integrity in office. In fact, you're glad -- tickled pink -- that it happened in the first place.  Because it gives you another reason to hate a prominent liberal.  Unlike your many honorable, classy Republican and conservative counterparts, you are incapable of kindness, compassion or common decency.  You're no different than the scumbag Democrat I know who said, when Ronald Reagan died, "Good riddance to bad rubbish."  I'm just not sure if the pity I feel for your lack of humanity outweighs the revulsion I feel over your opportunistic, cowardly desire to score cheap points.

The good news is, nearly all Republicans and conservatives here -- and probably most of them everywhere -- are united in wishing Ted Kennedy a speedy recovery or, failing that, as comfortable and peaceful a passing as possible.  Their hearts go out to his family and friends, no small number of whom are, themselves, conservatives. I'll fight conservatives tooth and nail on many issues, but when liberals suggest they lack compassion, they'll usually find me in disagreement.

I guess I just had to say this -- to vent, I suppose.  DWTL's unsurprising but shameful name change is just one manifestation of limp-wristed, craven opportunism. It's maddening.  But it's atypical of the Republicans and conservatives I know.  From a liberal, thank you to the vast majority of you here on the Forum who have responded to this sad news with class and decency.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2008, 12:31:01 AM »

I made a nasty comment about Earl Butz, and stand behind it.  Wink

Now, I can see two sides.

1.  Kennedy was drunk, or having oral sex, and took the wrong road.

2.  Kennedy turned down the wrong road and had an accident.  He was in a state of shock and didn't react correctly.

Now, knowing that was an investigation, a grand jury, that chose not to indict, I'm inclined to give Kennedy the benefit of the doubt.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2008, 06:43:18 AM »

Indeed. Does he always make a fool of himself like this?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2008, 07:15:05 AM »

You people don't give two sh*ts about Mary Jo Kopechne, personal responsibility or integrity in office. In fact, you're glad -- tickled pink -- that it happened in the first place.  Because it gives you another reason to hate a prominent liberal.  Unlike your many honorable, classy Republican and conservative counterparts, you are incapable of kindness, compassion or common decency.  You're no different than the scumbag Democrat I know who said, when Ronald Reagan died, "Good riddance to bad rubbish."  I'm just not sure if the pity I feel for your lack of humanity outweighs the revulsion I feel over your opportunistic, cowardly desire to score cheap points.

Well said.

May I also say, when Ted passes he will be missed. He knows the millstone around his neck is his own longevity when Joseph, Jack, Bobby were taken early and some of his nephews, including JFK jr to which he had to be both an uncle and a father figure. Ted grew old, his hair greyed and he became an elder statesman and the head of the family. He was the only Kennedy brother to be allowed to age gracefully and, it seems be granted a natural death. I think that is why he has been, regardless of politics one of the greatest Senators of the past half century.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2008, 10:49:45 AM »

You people don't give two sh*ts about Mary Jo Kopechne, personal responsibility or integrity in office. In fact, you're glad -- tickled pink -- that it happened in the first place.  Because it gives you another reason to hate a prominent liberal.  Unlike your many honorable, classy Republican and conservative counterparts, you are incapable of kindness, compassion or common decency.  You're no different than the scumbag Democrat I know who said, when Ronald Reagan died, "Good riddance to bad rubbish."  I'm just not sure if the pity I feel for your lack of humanity outweighs the revulsion I feel over your opportunistic, cowardly desire to score cheap points.

Well said.

May I also say, when Ted passes he will be missed. He knows the millstone around his neck is his own longevity when Joseph, Jack, Bobby were taken early and some of his nephews, including JFK jr to which he had to be both an uncle and a father figure. Ted grew old, his hair greyed and he became an elder statesman and the head of the family. He was the only Kennedy brother to be allowed to age gracefully and, it seems be granted a natural death. I think that is why he has been, regardless of politics one of the greatest Senators of the past half century.

One of the greatest political moments in his career must have come during his Senate campaign debate with Willard Mitt Romney.  At that point, Romney looked like he was going to upset Kennedy.  The anti-liberal fervor was high nationally and, even in Massachusetts, change might have been in the wind.  Then, Willard served up a fat, fastball right down the middle of the plate.  Teddy, slugger that he is, didn't miss it.  He swung and knocked it out of the park.  Willard never recovered.

I don't remember the precise quote, but it was something like this...

Willard:  Senator Kennedy is a wealthy,  out of touch, inside-the-beltway liberal who comes from a family that has no idea or concept of patriotism or sacrifice.

Teddy:  I'm sorry Mr. Romney, but I believe the Kennedy family knows a few things about love of country.  And as to sacrifice, we're pretty familiar with that as well.

I wish I had the transcript.  It was probably better. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2008, 12:42:58 PM »

No, the idea that he murdered Kopechne or willingly let her die is nonsense.

He waited ten hours before contacting police. He did, however, have time to contact his lawyer. If you'd like to start a separate thread just to debate this, be my guest.
jesmo

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »

dwtl gets what he deserves!
jesmo

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2008, 02:02:54 PM »

^^^^^^

I hope libertarians do not breed. They tend to reside in the Northeast and West and are a very dangerous species.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2008, 02:04:46 PM »

It's really unfortunate (though not unexpected) that this thread has been polluted with Kopechne references.

The best time to bring up and argue a person's most tragic and fatal flaws is probably not within 24 hours of a brain cancer diagnosis.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2008, 02:08:38 PM »

It's really unfortunate (though not unexpected) that this thread has been polluted with Kopechne references.

The best time to bring up and argue a person's most tragic and fatal flaws is probably not within 24 hours of a brain cancer diagnosis.

I just want to state, for the record, that I only engaged in it because the even was described as "nonsense." I was going to simply say that he has to answer for his faults when the time comes (as we all do) because his faults greatly affect my opinion of the man. However, my main point of posting here was to say that what he and his family are going through is awful.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2008, 11:53:11 PM »

Yes, it would have been nice to see an edit that read, "He's a wonderful old man, and lived long enough to put that Chappaquidick nonsense behind him, tragic though the accidental death of Mary Jo Kopechne was, and place himself squarely as one of our greatest statesmen."  Instead of implying she was someone of no consequence who got what was coming to her.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2008, 05:45:59 PM »

My thoughts are with Sen. Kennedy and his family
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2008, 08:20:58 AM »

I just want to state, for the record, that I only engaged in it because the even was described as "nonsense." I was going to simply say that he has to answer for his faults when the time comes (as we all do) because his faults greatly affect my opinion of the man. However, my main point of posting here was to say that what he and his family are going through is awful.
^^^^^^^
Exactly the reason I brought it up, quoted that post in fact.  Just because the man is sick, he cannot be elevated on a pedestal and past faults put behind him.  The criticisms were not there for Jerry Falwell, and more directly related Henry Hyde, but that is understandable given the make up of the forum.  The only good news for Ted Kennedy is that my vice principal had the exact same thing (although his tumor was not cancerous) and he is coming back in a few weeks after only a few months of recovery.  So, to state again, I do not wish death on the man, but I am going to let everyone put him on an underdeserved pedestal unchallenged
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies